PDA

View Full Version : What are you having for your dinner tonight?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

dinahsmum
31-03-2006, 04:28 PM
lol

Well I had salmon with pesto dressing and new potatoes with onions this evening (restaurant meal :) )

I have also had when I got home half a jacket sweet potato with coleslaw!!! christ that was good, I am never going to have a jacket white potato ever again!!! lol
Good aren't they Emma?
Did you know you can grow them and they make an interesting house plant. Suspend a tuber (like you would a hyacinth bulb) over water in a pot/vase and it will send out spindly climbing shoots (and send down roots). It's very quick, looks OK for a few months and then you have to throw it away and start again! :)

EmmaG
31-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Yes they are very very good!!! just had the other half :) Didn't know you could do that with the tubers, very interesting. Do you reckon by placing a tuber in a veggie plot you will get more??

dinahsmum
31-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Don't think so Emma. I've seen 'slips' advertised by nurserymen (sort of young plantlets) but they need more heat than we can usually provide, so buying from the greengrocer/supermarket is the easier option.
We couldn't give sufficient warmth for sufficient time to grow from tubers, apparently.

EmmaG
31-03-2006, 04:43 PM
damn!!!! lol Oh well :) I will stick to the squashes

dandysmom
31-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Tohicht will be Shrimp & Cellophane noodle soup (Chinese dish, yummy, also has scallions, tomatoes& other stuff.

dandysmom
01-04-2006, 09:41 PM
I checked on sweet potatoes & they need a long growing season: 100 to 150 days, & very warm climate; so guess you'll have to stick with the squash, Emma! Tonight will be pork potstickers, baby limas & kim-chi. We change to Summer time tonight; will spend after dinner changing every clock in every thing I own...each & every one of them has a different manual & never remember how each one works; have to look it up!!!:roll: :-D

dandysmom
02-04-2006, 03:25 AM
Did you know that you can start an avocado plant from the seed? Stick 3 toothpicks in it & suspend over a jar of water; it will sprout & can be planted & you get a small tree that makes a nice houseplant. Won't overwinter, but flourishes outside in the summer & you can keep it indoors during the winter.

dandysmom
03-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Tonight was broiled swordfish steak with herb butter, curried potatoes and fresh peas. Wasn't really hungry; we changed to Summer time last night & my stomach is still on standard time !! Cats are off schedule also; Leia didn't come for her lunch dry food snack until I called her;she normally is twining between my legs announcing that she is a small, starving cat!! ( 14 pounds small??!!:roll: :-D )

dandysmom
04-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Most everybody seems to be bored with this thread, I don't want it to be what Dandysmom had for dinner so am going to sign off on it...bon appetit, everyone!:-D

EmmaG
04-04-2006, 08:23 AM
No don't do that Dandysmon ;)

I had scampi and roasted butternut squash last night with tartar sauce, it was very nice :)

Fran
04-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Most everybody seems to be bored with this thread, I don't want it to be what Dandysmom had for dinner so am going to sign off on it...bon appetit, everyone!:-D

I love reading what everybody has to eat. Please keep posting DM...

Last night I had cheese and crackers, didn't feel like eating much :)

dinahsmum
04-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Fran's right - it's interesting; and we all like to pop on a post if we're having something a bit different. :) Carry on posting Eileen, just whenever you feel like it

dandysmom
04-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, erm, ah....I guess you talked me into it:roll: :-D :-D OK, Monday was a bacon & mozzarella sandwich, chips & brussels sprouts; tonight is a crab cake (from market, I just have to cook it), chips & fresh peas. And Wednesday is ALWAYS pizza & salad!! (Unless Christmas falls on Wednesday:roll: ) Cooking for one can be a problem; I hate frozen dinners & that sort of thing; would rather have a simple sandwich than something filled with God knows what additives, etc!! That's why I make soup a lot, and lots of Asian stir fry dishes (easy to adjust portions for one); also things like a trout are fine for one, although if it's a largish one, guess who gets to have a little trout for their bowls??:roll: Am not a big beef eater, but do love Italian meatballs, & all sorts of pasta dishes. My Dad has ben gone for 42 years; think I've gotten pretty good at fixing tasty nutritious meals for one. OOOh, blowing my own horn:oops: :oops: So, will hang in here, but comeon, y'all, post too!! :-D

EmmaG
04-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Scampi, half a jacket sweet potato topped with coleslaw, cheese and butter, and roasted butternut squash for me :)

Fran
04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Fish and chips from the chip shop tonight here :p

Mags
04-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Salmon salad with beetroot here! :D

dandysmom
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Oh, that sounds GOOD, Mags! I haven't had salmon salad in a while; funny how something sort of slips off the radar...?!

Mags
04-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Must try it with a bit of kim chi, Eileen! ;):lol:

Donna
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
I had bacon, egg and grilled tomato!!! Very nice too!

dandysmom
05-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Must try it with a bit of kim chi, Eileen! ;):lol:
Now, Mags!!!!!:-D Kim chi goes with Asian ...snigger...

Mags
05-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Now, Mags!!!!!:-D Kim chi goes with Asian ...snigger...
:-D:-D:-D.....

yola
06-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Tonight oi will be eatin' . . . a 'Polish' warm salad (well kind of).

It's chopped tomato, beetroot, gherkin, radish (all cubed quite small), with sauerkraut and cubed, roast sweet potato. And on the top of that will be balanced 2 salmon and dill fishcakes (shop bought sadly - I can't make fishcakes for love nor money) and all drizzled with dill and mustard dressing.

I've not eaten much today as my appetite has been non-existant so I'm quite looking forward to it.

DM - when I eat for 1, I really just try and do smaller portions of what I'd normally do for 2. But I agree, it's hard to stay motivated when you're just cooking for yourself, and it sounds like you're doing a great job!

EmmaG
06-04-2006, 07:51 PM
sweet jacket potato, cheese and coleslaw for me ;)

CJK
06-04-2006, 08:06 PM
i never had a sweet poatoe as a jacet before, something tot ry.

pot noodle for me cos i cant be bothered.

kids had spag bol and naan bread earlier

Fran
06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Doner Kebab here as hubby just got in from work and need something quick tonight

EmmaG
06-04-2006, 08:43 PM
i never had a sweet poatoe as a jacet before, something tot ry.

pot noodle for me cos i cant be bothered.

kids had spag bol and naan bread earlier

They are really nice CJ - also they don't take as long as a regular potato, I cook mine for about 45 mins at around 200c :) You can also cook them the night/day before and reheat in the microwave :)

dandysmom
06-04-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm going to have a treat tonight; my market has added lobster salad in the salad bar section: looks delicious, nice big chunks of lobster & not too much celery!! Will let you know if it is as tasty as it looks! Als, chips & fresh spinach. May give Leia & Patches one small bite of lobster to see what they think :-D

Fran
06-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm going to have a treat tonight; my market has added lobster salad in the salad bar section: looks delicious, nice big chunks of lobster & not too much celery!! Will let you know if it is as tasty as it looks! Als, chips & fresh spinach. May give Leia & Patches one small bite of lobster to see what they think :-D

Sounds lovely DM!! Let us know what you all think of it :-D

Donna
06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I had some pizza as Emma is having a birthday sleepover with her best friend!!!

Naughty I know, but she is only 12 once!!! *thats my excuse*

dandysmom
07-04-2006, 02:24 AM
The lobster salad was indeed delicious; I have a feeling this might become a standard on "no-cook" Monday!! Gave a tiny bite to the cats: Patches gobbled it down in a nanosecond; Leia sniffed it politely and walked away (Patches got her bite also!!) :-D Aren't I a good mom to share lobster with them???:roll: :-D :-D

dandysmom
08-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Tonight was vegetable noodle soup, salad & a roll. I do love a bowl of good home made soup!

EmmaG
08-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Chicken curry (Balti) for us tonight, it was very nice :)

Donna
08-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Not sure yet - trying to cut back after a couple of bad days!!

yola
08-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Just ordered a takeaway curry. Healthy(ish) option of chicken shashlick. I don't go a bundle on the ones with sauces.

Must go shopping tomorrow and get some food in :shock:

Fran
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Lasagne and garlic bread tonight

dandysmom
09-04-2006, 02:40 AM
My usual Chinese Saturday: steamed shrimp shiu mai with 2 dipping sauces, fresh spinach, kim chi and...something new I just found at the market: hot pickled cauliflower!! Delicious; think I'll buy a backup jar...so often when they have something new, if it doesn't sell too well, it vanishes!! Had a friend stop by for drinks today & we got to talking about curries (he's another spicy lover) and he also had never heard of curry paste!! Told him about Patek's Madras & he's going to get it . Odd how the paste is not well known here in the States...?? Thank you, Emma for educating me:-D

dandysmom
10-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Me again. Tonight was pasta with pesto, salad and a roll. Thought sure I'd get a crack or two about the hot pickled cauliflower...:roll: :-D

EmmaG
10-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Roast duck last night

We are having sausages tonight and hopefully the rest of the week salads :)

EmmaG
10-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Me again. Tonight was pasta with pesto, salad and a roll. Thought sure I'd get a crack or two about the hot pickled cauliflower...:roll: :-D

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Donna
10-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Chicken curry tonight :-)

carternm31
10-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Tortellini i think tonight...

EmmaG
10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Well I was going to have sausages but due to a large lunch I had jacket sweet potato, cheese and coleslaw

dandysmom
10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm having that lobster salad from the market again, chips & cauliflower.

dinahsmum
10-04-2006, 07:35 PM
MMM. lobster salad!
Did I tell you the story of out friend from Maine who flew over with 2 live lobster.................................?

dandysmom
10-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a good story; why not tell us??:D

dinahsmum
10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I guess there's not much of a story - except that he did it. Obviously got on the plane at Portland Me, changed at Boston, carrying a box with LIVE MAINE LOBSTERS on it. Walked though immigration and customs at Heathrow :roll: . I didn't believe the gift really 'did what it said on the tin' but lo and behold, open the box and there they were, 2 lobsters, claws taped but feelers wriggling, sitting on a cool-pac. :shock: Poor creatures, thought they were going on vacation, and they just ended up in my largest saucepan. :roll: Gary had to do the deed. I wanted to put them in the freezer, as I've heard that tranquilises them, but the Maine man said no - straight into an inch of fast boiling water :?
After the drama, they were excellent!

EmmaG
10-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I would love to try fresh lobster, but that is something I couldn't do.

dinahsmum
10-04-2006, 08:21 PM
I would love to try fresh lobster, but that is something I couldn't do.
Me neither - left the room! :shock:
Fresh lobster is gorgeous!

dandysmom
10-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I never did a live lobster, but have done crabs...awfully messy, easier to just buy the crabmeat !

Fran
10-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Chilli Con Carne and garlic baguette here tonight

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Duck salad tonight :)

dinahsmum
11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Duck salad tonight :)
Mmm
Cold rare roast beef, crisp jacket potato, salad.
Lovely day for it - flippin freezin!

Donna
11-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Bacon and onion omlette with some green salad!!!

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Mmm
Cold rare roast beef, crisp jacket potato, salad.
Lovely day for it - flippin freezin!

tell me about it!!!! It just doesn't seem right eating a salad when it is so cold outside!!!! Oh well all eaten now, at least it was nice and healthy :roll:

Mags
11-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Bacon and onion omlette with some green salad!!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dandysmom
11-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Spaghetti & meatballs, salad & a roll...it's in the low 70s today (hurray!!) so salad is fine.

EmmaG
12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Chicken and cashew nuts and yellow bean sauce :) Might have a tiny bit of basmati rice as well :)

dinahsmum
13-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Fish man was at the market today, so it's skate and black butter with capers, with rice and green beans today and kedgeree, using undyed smoked haddock, tomorrow.

Edit: and as it is a holiday tomorrow, today becomes an honorary Friday, so a nice bottle of white will be consumed as well!

EmmaG
13-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Steak with sweet potato chips and a salad for me :)

carternm31
13-04-2006, 05:19 PM
bangers and mash with lots of yummy gravey tonight!

dandysmom
13-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Fish man was at the market today, so it's skate and black butter with capers, with rice and green beans today and kedgeree, using undyed smoked haddock, tomorrow.

Edit: and as it is a holiday tomorrow, today becomes an honorary Friday, so a nice bottle of white will be consumed as well!
Is Good Friday a holiday in the UK? Didn't know that!! Hope you enjoyed the win:D

EmmaG
14-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Meatballs with tomato sauce and roasted veg for me :)

Donna
14-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Last night I had roast chicken, parsnips, sweet potatos, broccolli. Was lovely!!! Not sure about tonight!

dandysmom
14-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Yesterday & had lobster salad again, chips & cauliflower; today will be homemade chicken noodle soup, salad & a roll.

dandysmom
16-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Pork potstickers. Brussels sprouts, kim chi & pickled cauliflower. Easter will be ham & cabbage with pickled beets; a whole ham just isn't practical for a single person. I buy one of those 1 pound Plumrose Danish hams; they're delicious & freeze well...ham sandwiches whenever I want one! Happy Easter, all!!:D

Fran
16-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Sunday lunch here today - roast chicken...

Mags
16-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Roast lamb, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, cauliflower cheese, carrots and broccoli for us today........

dinahsmum
16-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Roast lamb, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, cauliflower cheese, carrots and broccoli for us today........
Much the same - rack of local lamb from the Farmers' Market etc etc plus - my own rhubarb in a crumble with clotted cream - how wicked!

Mags
16-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Much the same - rack of local lamb from the Farmers' Market etc etc plus - my own rhubarb in a crumble with clotted cream - how wicked!
I love rhubarb crumble but hubby doesn't like rhubarb so I don't bother making it just for one:( If you have any left over DM I'll be down to collect it!:-D

dandysmom
17-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Leia & Patches both became QUITE interested as I was taking the ham out of the tin, so they both got a little for as appetizer...probably not the best thing to feed cats but they loved it; Patches has ben eating picky lately so it was good to see her enjoying it!!:D

EmmaG
17-04-2006, 09:41 AM
We had chicken bacon, mushroom and cheese with veg yesterday.

Venison casserole for us today :)

dandysmom
17-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Tonight will be a ham & mozzarella sandwich, chips, broiled portobello & Szechwan asparagus.

Fran
17-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Chinese take away for us tonight - yum yum!!

dandysmom
19-04-2006, 02:34 AM
One of my standard favorites: cabbage, mushroom & bacon stir fry with rice, kim chi & hot pickled cauliflower. Leia & Patches wondered where the HAM was...:-D

EmmaG
19-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Tonight should be gammon with salad for us :)

dandysmom
21-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Wednesday was pizza as usual; last night lobster salad, chips, fresh spinach; tonight homemade noodle soup, salad & a roll.

EmmaG
21-04-2006, 07:48 PM
hmmm that soup sounds nice, have you got a recipe for it??

dandysmom
22-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Actually, no. Celery,carrots, onions, bit of garlic, shredded cabbage, a bit of cauliflower if I have any, tomatoes, some lentils & barley, pinch of oregano plus noodles:either egg noodles or small shells, plus organic chicken broth, and a clove & few black peppercorns. Enough salt in the tomatoes that I don't need any more. Nothing fancy, but tasty!

Hreow
22-04-2006, 07:59 AM
That does sound very nice. We had venison soup from leftovers, and the lentils in your soup gave me an idea for next time. Thanks.

dandysmom
22-04-2006, 09:07 PM
OOOOH, I haven't had venison since I was a teenager & we used to visit relatives in Massachussetts...my uncle was a hunter!!! Your soup sounds delicious. Our gourmet market used to sell what they called rainbow lentils:a mixture of orange & black lentils, smaller than the common green ones...don't stock it any more; am almost out; will have to Google a source. Tonight usual Chinese meal: sreamed shrimp shiu mai, cauliflower & kim chi.

dandysmom
25-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Last night made spaghetti & meatballs, salad & a roll; tonight was tuna sandwich, chips, broiled portobelo &...FRESH PEAS!!! Finally back in the market!!:D

dandysmom
25-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Had planned on crab cakes, but they didn't have any at the fish counter; so will have pasta with pesto, salad & a roll instead. Haad my teeth set for crabcakes....:roll:

EmmaG
25-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I had a pork steak today with roasted peppers :) it was very nice

Hreow
25-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Had planned on crab cakes, but they didn't have any at the fish counter; so will have pasta with pesto, salad & a roll instead. Haad my teeth set for crabcakes....:roll:

You have several settings, like a swiss-army knife sort of thing? :-)

Rice with tomato and lentil sauce and leftover leg-of-lamb here. Giant white beans would have been better but not bad, even though I say so myself.

dandysmom
25-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Hee hee hee, Hreow!!! Good one!!:roll: :-D :-D

Fran
25-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Do you know Eileen, I would love to spend a couple of weeks with you. Your meals are so very interesting. I find varying the menu here difficult. I'm not very imaginative and it doesn't help having fussy people to cater for :roll:

dandysmom
26-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Fran, am flattered! Would love to have you; I think I'm in sort of a rut as I cook for myself & tend to rely on favorites...things that are simple to fix for one: heavy on pastas, stir fries, pizza, (!), soups & lots of salad...I think I said earlier I must have some rabbit DNA somewhere...nice one-pot things like ham & cabbage, & curries (HOT!) When my Dad was alive, we had lots of what I call "man food"...steaks, meat & potatoes, etc. He loved to barbeque...don't think I have done it in the last 30 years!! Have recently got interested in Japanese cooking, & do a mean miso soup if I do say so myself as shouldn't!! Nothing as comforting for lunch on a chilly Winter day as a nice small cup of home made miso! Plus fruit & cheese! I really appreciated your post; thought my dinners weren't really too interesting...you made my day:D :D

dandysmom
27-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I AM getting into a rut on Thursdays, but cannot resist that lobster salad at the salad bar; so, that, chips & fresh spinach. This isn't tht market that has fresh peas...will go there Sunday,,,pea season is TOO short:-D

dandysmom
29-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Oh my, I'm the only one posting again! Well, tonight was beef vegetable soup, salad and my everpresent roll.

Hreow
29-04-2006, 07:54 AM
We are all in awe. :-) I still have some leg-of-lamb leftovers, so that will be turned into a soup and a curry. Don't know which we'll have tonight, though. Rover can have the thigh-bone to wrestle.

Fran
29-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Are all your soups homemade DM? They all sound so delicious!

KFC for us last night - was very tasty and made a nice change from the usual Chinese takeouts :-D

dandysmom
29-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Fran! Yes they are; enjoy making soup. Our gourmet market sells 8 oz. boxes of organic chicken, beef & fish stock; always keep them on hand; ideal for making a small soup for one. Also, always have onion, celery, cabbage, potatoes, etc around. I much prefer them to tinned soup; I know what's in mine & they're spiced, etc. to my taste. Tonight is Chinese pork potstickers, baby limas & kim chi.

dandysmom
02-05-2006, 09:12 PM
I didn't have the potstickers, etc...came down with a nasty case of stomach flu; have been quite ill. Worst symptoms gone, just fatigue, lack of appetite & everything tastes funny! Won't be doing any interesting dinners till I get over this...just having to eat bland stuff for a while. Ugh! Like MacArthur. "I shall return"!!

Hreow
02-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Just a simple chicken-sandwich this evening. Left-overs from the Sunday roast. Rover didn't seem to mind.
Glad you're feeling less icky, DM!

Mags
02-05-2006, 09:26 PM
I hope you'll feel better soon Eileen.........
http://www.annasanimaties.com/bloem25.gif

Fran
02-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Really hope you feel better soon Eileen x

EmmaG
03-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Get well soon Eileen x

Well I just had chicken kiev, salad and roasted butternut squash

janey83
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
What's everyone having for your tea tonight? Ive dragged this thread up coz i have no idea what to have?

EmmaG
06-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Garlic chicken with mushrooms for us, with a salad :)

dandysmom
07-05-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm back!! The lingering side effexts of the stomach flu (muscle aches, fatigue, loss of appetite & weird taste buds) finally started abating Friday afternoon; I felt 100% better today & finally sat down in the dining room to a proper dinner: what I had planned to have last Saturday- pork potstickers, baby limas & kim chi. At least, I lost a pound or so during the week:-D !