PDA

View Full Version : What are you having for your dinner tonight?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Mags
07-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I used to have corned beef as well, used to cut it up into small cubes and use as a snack food..........:-P

Donna
07-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Theres probably tons of stuff I could be eating and dont know it!!!! What about tinned tomatoes anyone?

EmmaG
07-02-2006, 11:38 PM
I think tomatoes are one of the more carbier veggetables, but they are a vegetable (or are they a fruit :) ) so I would eat them in moderation, if you want a couple of tinned tomatoes with your breakfast I would say go for it, I have them for breakfast ;)

Donna
07-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Been using fresh grilled tomato for brekkie but was thinking of adding a tin to some meat and making a kinda stew with lots of veggies.

EmmaG
07-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Donna that sounds like a great idea, also tinned tomatoes are very very good for you ;) let me know how you get on :) and don't forget to post the recipe ;)

Donna
07-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Wont be that exciting Emma. I am not a cook at all. Dont have anything in my house like herbs and spices and a lot of the recipes say to add stuff like that so will need to go buy lots of spices to add flavours.

Did see a receipe for corned beef - on the Atkins website. Use cabbage and mashed cauliflower with corned beef and pan fry it. sounds delicious!

EmmaG
07-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Hmmm that recipe for corned beef does sound nice doesn't it.

How about growing some herbs Donna?? you can grow them on a windowsill and if you get the children involved it could be good fun, perhaps let them grow a pot themselves???

Donna
07-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Need to look into herbs and spices a bit. Totally alien to me!!

EmmaG
07-02-2006, 11:56 PM
whole spices are great as they keep for ages and you can just crush them to release all of the spiciness :)

At the moment I just love coriander, it seems to go with a lot of dishes, currys, fish, chicken, salads. Perhaps you should just buy a different fresh herb pot from the supermarket each week and see which ones you like??

Fran
08-02-2006, 12:09 AM
I think tomatoes are one of the more carbier veggetables, but they are a vegetable (or are they a fruit :) ) so I would eat them in moderation, if you want a couple of tinned tomatoes with your breakfast I would say go for it, I have them for breakfast ;)

Tomatoes are fruit :D

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks Fran, I thought they were ;)

dandysmom
08-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Dinahsmum: just got around to trying the sauteed mushrooms with garlic & pasta that you mentioned way earlier in this thread...delicious:D But think I didn't use enough garlic :cry: And think it might be even tastier with a few snow peas for an added crunch...I do a lot of stir-fry dishes; quick, easy & good for a single person...can adjust portions to suit how hungry I am:D Am very much into asian cooking; mostly Chinese but do a few Thai & Japanese dishes also. Coriander (cilantro) is very easy to grow & has a lot of uses. Also had a tossed green salad & the usual hard roll to go with the pasta. Last night was my night to eat not-so-good for you stuff:-D :-D

Booktigger
08-02-2006, 09:58 AM
I just had a veg stir fry last night with noodles (although just cheap ones rather than nice ones). Cooked too much as usual though. I go out for my tea on a Wed, so will be eating lots and maybe not healthy food!!

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Well we are having chicken with bacon and cheese tonight together with some veggies ;)

I had my coconut custard this morning, oh that was delicious :-D and I am just munching on a bit of brie and cheddar :)

Donna
08-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Glad you here Emma! - can I have nuts? Particularly like peanuts - thought be good for snack food.

Your dinner sounds good. Still losing weight?

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Yes I am still losing weight, although I did eat out twice over the last week so it has slowed down a bit, but I think as long as I carry on I will see a good difference by the next week, over the last couple of days I have felt "thin" which is good.

My weight this morning was 9 stone 8.5 lbs (on 15th January I was 10 stone 3 lbs) I really want to get to 9 stone, but then start to build a bit of muscle.

Yes peanuts are ok, obviously plain ones (or salted if you must :) (try and avoid the dry roasted ones), you can also have the following Macadamias, almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

yola
08-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Home-made curry tonight.

Prawns with a sweet/spicy mango and coconut sauce + mushrooms and potatoes in a loverly spicy home-crushed tomatoey sauce + carrot salad (grated carrot with mustard seeds popped in olive oil). And 1 gluten-free nan bread to share.

dinahsmum
08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Home-made curry tonight.

Prawns with a sweet/spicy mango and coconut sauce + mushrooms and potatoes in a loverly spicy home-crushed tomatoey sauce + carrot salad (grated carrot with mustard seeds popped in olive oil). And 1 gluten-free nan bread to share.
What time do you want us?

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 06:05 PM
What time do you want us?

me too.... sounds yummy............... :-D

Donna
08-02-2006, 06:11 PM
over the last couple of days I have felt "thin" which is good.

My weight this morning was 9 stone 8.5 lbs (on 15th January I was 10 stone 3 lbs) I really want to get to 9 stone, but then start to build a bit of muscle.

Yes peanuts are ok, obviously plain ones (or salted if you must :) (try and avoid the dry roasted ones), you can also have the following Macadamias, almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

Glad your diet is still working Emma. Well done!!!! I need to keep up with mine just so you dont show me up!!

Love salted peanuts and walnuts and hazelnuts so thats good - snacks!:-D

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 06:13 PM
yes it is good to have some snacks handy. So how are you feeling? just to make you feel reaaly bad I am on my exercise bike at the moment....lol yes whilst on here typing away... I am going to try and do an hours worth

Donna
08-02-2006, 06:16 PM
yes it is good to have some snacks handy. So how are you feeling? just to make you feel reaaly bad I am on my exercise bike at the moment....lol yes whilst on here typing away... I am going to try and do an hours worth

Dont know how you are managing that Emma!!!!

Am feeling ok. Not weighed myself since Monday so dont know how I am doing. Just researching lots of things to eat really as feel I am not aware of stuff I could be eating. Been on lots of websites today to see different recipes, etc.

Dont think I am drinking enough tho, so will need to up that a bit. I have always been the same, but if this diet wants you to drink more water then I will try.

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 06:29 PM
well the typing and peddling is certainly a challenge lol

I am sure there are plenty of foods you could eat Donna, you could always post up what you like and I will see if I know if they are low carb or not.

Yes I think the more water you can drink the better.

Donna
08-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Typing and cycling - exercising the legs and the fingers at the same time - get you!!!!

Just realised today I could eat ham (doh considering I was eating bacon!) and yesterday realised I could have corned beef!! So two more things to add to my eating list.

Its me struggling with sauces really that is a problem. As most things can be turned into something spectacular with a tasty sauce. Your cheese sauce is great but there are only so many days you can have that! Need a sauce for say cod, and then other meats like lamb and beef. Not sure if I can use stock cubes or not? That would help in the cooking dept!

Keep peddling Emma, keep peddling!!!

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 06:40 PM
yes stock cubes are fine...yes i am still peddling.....lol

There is a good recipe I have somewhere for cola chicken, using diet coke. I will see if I can find it. It is very silimar to sweet and sour chicken

Donna
08-02-2006, 06:42 PM
yes stock cubes are fine...yes i am still peddling.....lol

There is a good recipe I have somewhere for cola chicken, using diet coke. I will see if I can find it. It is very silimar to sweet and sour chicken

Oh yum! Love sweet and sour chicken!!! Didnt think I could have diet cola?

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Oh yes you can have diet drinks although water is better, a few glasses of diet drinks a day would be fine. I switched to diet coke when I first low carbed, I only had a few glasses a day, you can also have sugar free squash in your water if it helps a bit, once I get off the bike I will find that recipe

CJK
08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I not eating tonight, dont feel like it.

Doing really well driking water, hardly drink anything else now. My skin looks a lot clearer than it did.

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 07:59 PM
CJ have you been eating much recently??

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Donna here is the recipe

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup ketchup (a low sugar one if you can get it)
1 can diet cola/coke

Put chicken in nonstick pan. I usually brown my chicken a little first before pouring the ketchup and diet cola over the top. . Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes. Uncover, turn up the heat and continue cooking until the sauce becomes thick and adheres to the chicken. It turns into the most incredible BBQ sauce.

You could omit the ketchup and add chopped tinned tomatoes instead, you could also add some onion, courgettes etc as well

CJK
08-02-2006, 08:46 PM
not really, seem to ahve lost my appetite recently, but am feeling a bit down and just found a lump on the left side of my stomach, it hurts and could be why i not eating much.
Iam too tired all the time lately, never used to get this tired, but nowadays doing the housework seems to knacker me out for the rest of the day.
Come 8pm I'm falling asleep in the armchair!

CJK
08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
do you know what coca coal use to celan the engines of thier trucks?
yup, thier own drink!

put a nail in a cup of cola, see how long it takes to dientegrate it!! cos it does, few weeks I think.
Ever wondered why cola is good for cleaning jewellery? the acid strips off the dirt.

And we drink that stuff? (yup I do too on occasion)

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 09:14 PM
not really, seem to ahve lost my appetite recently, but am feeling a bit down and just found a lump on the left side of my stomach, it hurts and could be why i not eating much.
Iam too tired all the time lately, never used to get this tired, but nowadays doing the housework seems to knacker me out for the rest of the day.
Come 8pm I'm falling asleep in the armchair!

That doesn't sound good CJ, perhaps you should get it checked out.

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
do you know what coca coal use to celan the engines of thier trucks?
yup, thier own drink!

put a nail in a cup of cola, see how long it takes to dientegrate it!! cos it does, few weeks I think.
Ever wondered why cola is good for cleaning jewellery? the acid strips off the dirt.

And we drink that stuff? (yup I do too on occasion)

Yes but when you think about it CJ our own stomachs contain acid, if it wasn't for our tough stomach lining our own acid would kill us.

I use to drink quite a bit of regular coke, however I switched to diet coke a few years back, I only get through about 2 litres every two months, so I don't drink a great deal of it, as I would try and have water.

Regular coke or diet coke does bloat me out :(

CJK
08-02-2006, 09:20 PM
i prefer pepsi max. I dont ahve it often though, it upsets my tummy, amkes me get trapped wind and then burp lots lol.

going doctors next weds, unless things get any worse before then of course.

Donna
08-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Donna here is the recipe

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup ketchup (a low sugar one if you can get it)
1 can diet cola/coke

Put chicken in nonstick pan. I usually brown my chicken a little first before pouring the ketchup and diet cola over the top. . Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes. Uncover, turn up the heat and continue cooking until the sauce becomes thick and adheres to the chicken. It turns into the most incredible BBQ sauce.

You could omit the ketchup and add chopped tinned tomatoes instead, you could also add some onion, courgettes etc as well

Gonna just have to try this for the sheer hell of it to find out what it would taste like!!!! Cant imagine cooking with cola!!!

Donna
08-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Hope all goes well at the Docs CJ. And try to eat something - even if it is something small.

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Donna I have made this a couple of times, it is quite nice :)

If you cubed the chicken up it would only take about 30 mins to cook

Donna
08-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Will definately give that one a go Emma! Will add some peppers and onion etc. I thought tomato sauce was out too!

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Tomato ketchup has got a lot of sugar in it, but as the recipe above would feed at least 4 people, 1 cup of ketchup divided between four portions isn't too bad, if you haven't got any reduced sugar ketchup, I would substitute the ketchup with a tin of chopped tomatoes.

You could also use some concentrated tomato puree, instead of the tinned or ketchup, that would work very well.

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Sounds good Emma!! Am saving any recipe ideas that I like to my pc and will give them a try. That is a good one as it has an interesting flavour to what is normally fairly boring bit of chicken!!! Any more greatly appreciated!!!:p

Had tuna salad for dinner tonight. Is nice but had it a few times now. Didnt have lunch really - just a bit of cheese and a few slices of cucumber. And brekkie the good old favourite - cooked brekkie!!:p

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:17 PM
oops!! dont know how this happened!!!

Sounds good Emma!! Am saving any recipe ideas that I like to my pc and will give them a try. That is a good one as it has an interesting flavour to what is normally fairly boring bit of chicken!!! Any more greatly appreciated!!!:p

Had tuna salad for dinner tonight. Is nice but had it a few times now. Didnt have lunch really - just a bit of cheese and a few slices of cucumber. And brekkie the good old favourite - cooked brekkie!!:p

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:23 PM
If you really fancy garlic bread you can try frying in a saucepan with a little bit of olive oil some mozzarella slices, they will go brown underneath, remove from the heat and then sprinkle with a little bit of garlic powder and a bit of onion powder. These are very very good :)

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Love garlic brea!! Will try that one. Didnt even know you could get garlic powder. How ignorant am I!! Is it near the spices section?

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Parmesan Crusted Chicken...
Take some chicken breast boneless, skinless fillets, egg washed and dipped in parmesan cheese that had some garlic pepper in them :)

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Yes Garlic powder or garlic granules :), you will find these with the dried herbs and spices

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Parmesan Crusted Chicken...
Take some chicken breast boneless, skinless fillets, egg washed and dipped in parmesan cheese that had some garlic pepper in them :)

Saved that one too!! Take it you mean dipped in egg to stick the cheese on!?

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:31 PM
That's the idea, I am just having a look through the low carb friends recipe section

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/

There are tons of recipes in there :)

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Was looking on this site a bit today Emma. There are lots of good ideas. I need to stock up on more things I can eat to make dinners more intersting - things to make sauces and herbs/spices etc.

dandysmom
08-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Tonight I'm making cheese pizza...the only way I like it...with a generous sprinkling of dried oregano & hot pepper flakes; plus a green salad. As to canned tomatoes (I couldn't cook without them!!!) be careful as they are VERY high in sodium...190 mg in a 14 1/5 oz. can. Suppose they must be the same in UK?

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:40 PM
DM I know we can get no added sugar/salt canned tomatoes, I will check next time I pop to the supermarket. Your pizza sounds great :)

Yes Donna there are loads of recipes on that site, some you have to adapt a bit for food found in the UK, but most of those recipes are dooable :)

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Some of the cheesecakes on there Donna are out of this world!!!!

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Not even tried a pudding Emma. Will have a look.

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Just copied one recipe - but the best bit is not included - the biscuity bottom layer. oh well cant have it all!

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:49 PM
In the summer Donna you can also make your own icecream, very easy to make, just cream, egg yolks, spelnda and whatever fruit/flavouring you like.

Have you got an icecream maker??

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Just copied one recipe - but the best bit is not included - the biscuity bottom layer. oh well cant have it all!

Donna there is a recipe on there somewhere for a low carb biscuit layer, I have made it before. I will see if I can find it.

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
In the summer Donna you can also make your own icecream, very easy to make, just cream, egg yolks, spelnda and whatever fruit/flavouring you like.

Have you got an icecream maker??

I dont have an ice cream maker!!! Emma I am the woman that kept Iceland in business!!! Out of the freezer into the oven, onto the table. All this diet stuff is making me eat better as well as lose weight, but I havent COOKED properly ever (except the odd stew/spag bol).

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Cheesecake base

1 heaped cup ground hazelnuts
1 heaped cup of ground almonds
1/2 cup melted butter
Splenda to taste

Just mix and use to line bottom of cheesecake tin.

If you want to make it a bit more spicy, you can add a teaspoon of allspice, Cinnamon etc

Donna
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Sounds good. Might try a cheesecake!!

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 11:04 PM
You can also make a quice but without the pasty base

Donna
08-02-2006, 11:08 PM
You can also make a quice but without the pasty base

Yes I saw that!! Love quiche! Was thinking i could make a similar sort of messy quiche by doing scramble egg and adding grated cheese bacon and onion. :)

Mags
08-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Tesco used to do their own make lo carb quiche.......very nice too. Not sure if they still do them, they were in the ordinary quiche section....

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Mags I think they use to do Pizzas and also yoghurt's as well, they were all very nice, not sure if they continued the range though

Donna
08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Wish they still did stuff. Would make my life easier!!!!

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Ahhh but Donna just think of all the wonderful dishes you can create :)

Donna
08-02-2006, 11:51 PM
True buying convenience isnt going to help my skills is it???

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 11:53 PM
afraid not Donna, also I think some dishes can be very quick to make, and you know what is going in them ;)

Donna
08-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes very true. No hidden "extras"!!

dandysmom
09-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Emma, I know you can buy no-salt canned tomatoes, but they taste awful!! Whenever I'm cooking with them, I use no additional salt; I have no problems with hypertension so don't avoid salt; just thought I'd point this out. The pizza was delicious as usual tonight...I'm not a chocaholic, but cheese is my weakness:roll: Boursin, goat gouda, mozzarella, good white cheddar...I'm having my usual pre-bedtime snack of cheddar on stoned wheat thin crackers & a small glass of wine (tonight is pinot grigio but love a nice dry rose also, even though the wine snobs frown on rose:-D ) Just out of curiosity, what do you all like for a late night snack?? Right now, neither of my two cats give a hoot for cheese, but my late Misty would KILL for a bit of good cheddar :roll: :-D At least I don't have to share now...:-D

CJK
09-02-2006, 09:33 AM
well, I seem to be getting left behind in several conversations, i just cant keep up lol.

anyway, going to try the chicken with cola one day, never cooked with cola so will be interesting to try.

dinahsmum
09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
...I'm having my usual pre-bedtime snack of cheddar on stoned wheat thin crackers & a small glass of wine (tonight is pinot grigio but love a nice dry rose also, even though the wine snobs frown on rose:-D ) Just out of curiosity, what do you all like for a late night snack?? Right now, neither of my two cats give a hoot for cheese, but my late Misty would KILL for a bit of good cheddar :roll: :-D At least I don't have to share now...:-D
Oh no DM - a good dry rose is very much in vogue now, especially with Thai and similar food.
Everything has its fashion, even wine. Remember Chardonnay?
Your cheese & bics and glass of wine sounds a good pre-bed treat to me!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_13.gif

CJK
09-02-2006, 09:45 AM
i dont liie wine apart from them cheap ones like lambrusco etc.
love champagne but dont have it, had it at my wedding, my gran brought 10 magnums of it for us!

I love cheese n crackers.

Usually I ahve a banana and glass of milk, which even though am doing low carb diet i still ahve, I need it or my blood sugars drop in the night.

Donna
09-02-2006, 03:16 PM
[quote=but my late Misty would KILL for a bit of good cheddar :roll: :-D At least I don't have to share now...:-D[/quote]

My Misty LOVES cheese!!!!!:p

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I love having cheese as well for a snack, Arthur likes it too :)

Well I am having salmon tonight with creamed leeks :) and veggies :)

Oh anybody low carbing and fancy something sweet and like coconut you can have a few chunks of creamed coconut (solid block) It is low in carbs and fairly high in fat so quite satisfying.

I made a couple of coconut custards, one for this evening and one for tomorrow for breakfast :) yummm!!!!

Donna
09-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi Emma

Am having chicken stew tonight. Cant wait!!! Also bought some spices but only sprinkled a tiny bit in cos not sure how much to use!!!!

One other thing - I put some new potatos in for the kids - they wont leak carbs into my stew will they??? May sound like a really stoooopid question, but hey, thats me!!

Where do you buy creamed coconut from - love bounty bars - is it a block like that?

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Donna,

Don't ever be frightened to ask questions. The potatoes will be fine, I would have thought that they will soak up juices from the stew, when I make a stew for me and my OH I regularly put in potatoes or even dumplings, as long as you don't have any you will be ok. New potatoes are lower carbs than ordinary potatoes, so when you are at your ideal weight, if you want to have say a meal out and it comes with new potatoes they are BETTER than having chips or mash, but they might be one of those foods that you have to eat in moderation in the future, say a couple of times a week.

Let me know how your stew turned out :)

The creamed coconut you can get from most supermarkets, it is usually found with the curry sauces. It is a very solid block and sold in packets. I found some in Tescos today and they were Pataks, and sold in four individual sachets, but mostly you will find them in one solid block, you will need a sharp knife to cut it.

You can also put coconut milk and creamed coconut in your coffee instead of milk if you fancy something different :)

Donna
09-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks Emma. Did weigh myself today again (being bad cos should of waited a week, but since monday I have lost another pound:p . Hopefully by weigh in time on Monday that will be at least two!!:p

Havent eaten much today - just had breakfast - cooked of course!!! And not felt hungry all day until now and just starting to get peckish cos i can smell the stew cooking!! Did it with chicken breast, tin of tomatos, chicken stock, onions, mushrooms, carrot and new potatos for the kids. will do some other veg too. And if the kids are very lucky they might even get a dumpling :lol: Added a sprinkle of garlic powder (probably not enough by oh well):-D

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Well done Donna, another lb!!! you are losing faster than me I think ;) just think if you keep this up you will very soon be at your ideal weight!!!! whoohooo !!! Have you done any measurements??

Stew sounds great, best to add your herbs and spices sparily at first, especially for the children :) What are they making of the food?? are they enjoying it??

You must feel very proud of your weight loss so far :)

Donna
09-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks Emma. I didnt measure as I couldnt find the tape measure, but the weight amount is enough for me to know if it is going"!

The children have mostly eaten separately to me, although Sean did have a nice cooked brekkie with me this morning. First time he has eaten in three days cos of the flu so he enjoyed that! This is the first "family" meal I have cooked using all my own ingredients so will let you know how it goes!!

Donna
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
One other thing Emma, I am gonna be brave and try cooking more fish. Any ideas for a good meal/sauce for fresh cod or tuna??? Or any other fish you could recommend that is similar in taste etc that might be fun to try.

Love all this new food I am trying - makes dinners so much more interesting!!:p

dinahsmum
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
A note for all you low-carbers.
Do you love/yearn for dauphinoise potatoes? Then try Celeriac Gratin instead. Slice celeriac very thinly, layer it up in a buttered dish with some crushed garlic and black pepper, pour over single cream and bake in the oven.
Yum.
Don't have quantities or time - just half heard this on the radio.
Bon appetit!

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Donna haddock is very similar in taste to Cod and it has a white flesh, I think it is normally cheaper than cod as well, both of these would be good with a lemon sauce, which you can make with butter, fresh lemon and a little bit of cream.

Crispy Parmesan Fish

1 lb cod fillets
2 1/2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat over to 180 c, oil up a shallow baking dish. Place fish in the dish.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire and onions and spread evenly over fillets.

Sprinkle the fish with the Parmesan and bake uncovered for 30 mins or until crispy.

serves 3, each with 1gm of carbs, 31g of protein.

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:13 PM
A note for all you low-carbers.
Do you love/yearn for dauphinoise potatoes? Then try Celeriac Gratin instead. Slice celeriac very thinly, layer it up in a buttered dish with some crushed garlic and black pepper, pour over single cream and bake in the oven.
Yum.
Don't have quantities or time - just half heard this on the radio.
Bon appetit!

Thanks DM!!!!! that sounds excellent, I will give it a try sometime. I have tried Celeriac Mash which is great especially with sausages and gravy ;)

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Donna I quite like Monkfish, it has a very meaty flesh to it, very firm, it is a white fish, although it can be a bit pricey.

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Donna haddock is very similar in taste to Cod and it has a white flesh, I think it is normally cheaper than cod as well, both of these would be good with a lemon sauce, which you can make with butter, fresh lemon and a little bit of cream.

Crispy Parmesan Fish

1 lb cod fillets
2 1/2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat over to 180 c, oil up a shallow baking dish. Place fish in the dish.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire and onions and spread evenly over fillets.

Sprinkle the fish with the Parmesan and bake uncovered for 30 mins or until crispy.

serves 3, each with 1gm of carbs, 31g of protein.

That sounds easy and tasty!! Might even try it on the kids:-D

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks DM!!!!! that sounds excellent, I will give it a try sometime. I have tried Celeriac Mash which is great especially with sausages and gravy ;)

What is celeriac???:( :? :oops:

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter

4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry dill, or 1 tablespoon of fresh dill (chopped finely)
4 salmon steaks
Olive oil

Combine the butter, lemon juice, and dill, place in fridge to chill

15 mins before dinner, rub each salmon steak on both sides with olive oil. Now cook these under a hot grill until fully cooked.

Place salmon on serving plates, top each with a tablespoon of the lemon dill butter and serve.

Serves 4, only a trace of carbs, 34 grams of protein.

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Donna Celeriac is a vegetable, it looks very similar to a sweede. I will see if I can find a picture of one.

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter

4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry dill, or 1 tablespoon of fresh dill (chopped finely)
4 salmon steaks
Olive oil

Combine the butter, lemon juice, and dill, place in fridge to chill

15 mins before dinner, rub each salmon steak on both sides with olive oil. Now cook these under a hot grill until fully cooked.

Place salmon on serving plates, top each with a tablespoon of the lemon dill butter and serve.

Serves 4, only a trace of carbs, 34 grams of protein.

donna hastily adds to her recipe document!!!!

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:20 PM
taaadaaaa ............ hopefully you will be able to see this

http://eattheseasons.co.uk/Images/celeriac_60.jpg

You peel it and use it very similar to potatoes, turnips etc

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Doesnt look very nice Emma!!

But will look out for it in my local supermarket. Am being introduced to so many new things!!!

I had a quote for a new kitchen last night - maybe new kitchen - new dinners - new donna!!!!

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Feta-Spinach Salmon Roast

3 ounces cream cheese (philli) softened
3/4 cup crumbled feta
2 spring onions thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
2 skinless salmon fillets
Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 180 c

Combine the cream cheese and feta, add the onions and spinach and combine well.

spread the mixture evenly over one salmon fillet, top with the other salmon fillet. Brush both sides with olive oil and turn the whole thing over carefully with a spatula.

Place the salmon on a shallow baking pan, and bake for 20 mins, to serve slice carefully with a sharp knife.

Serves 2, 5g of carbs, 45g of protein.

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Doesnt look very nice Emma!!

But will look out for it in my local supermarket. Am being introduced to so many new things!!!

I had a quote for a new kitchen last night - maybe new kitchen - new dinners - new donna!!!!

Wow new kitchen :) I am so glad I had my kitchen done a few years back, but it was terrible, no worktops, sink hanging from the wall, and it was like that for about 6 years!!!! lol I love my new kitchen :)

Yes the celeriac doesn't look very pretty but it is very versitile. Celeriac Mash with loads of butter, cream and cheese is fantastic.

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Fish patties

1 can salmon (or fresh cooked fish)
1/4 cup oat bran
1 egg
2 spring onions finely sliced
3 tablespoons of butter

Drain the salmon, place in a mixing bowl, and mash well. Add the oat bran, egg, spring onions, mix very well. Form into 4 patties

Melt the butter in a frying pan, over a medium heat. Sauté the patties in the butter turning carefully until they are quite golden on both sides (7 to 10 mins per side)

Serves 2, 7 carbs, 2g of fiber, 47g of protein per serving

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Well the chicken stew went down very well!! Was more like a really chunky soup!!!! But I enjoyed it! Sean ate most of his too, but he couldnt taste it cos his nose all blocked up. Emma fell asleep when she came in from school so no dinner yet for her!!

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Fish patties

Sounds nice and easy too!!! Gonna enjoy trying all these!! :-D

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Glad to hear the chicken stew was good!!!! It does sound as if you are getting your confidence up with all this cooking :) People should be a bit more adventurous in the kitchen ;)

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
They do all sound nice, these recipes are from Dana Carpender 500 low carb recipes. Most of them are quite easy to prepare and cook.

I will have a go at doing the fish patties sometime

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:39 PM
My biggest problem is the kids - they dont like trying new things so I stuck to doing the same old stuff week in week out. Even if I introduce a new dish a fortnight it will be a start!!

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I have just ordered:

15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes: Instant Recipes for Dinners, Desserts and More by Dana Carpender (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Carpender%2C%20Dana/203-3970625-2554336)

Save you copying all your recipes to me Emma :-D