PDA

View Full Version : What are you having for your dinner tonight?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:44 PM
How about trying to get them involved in helping prepare the food?? How old are they??

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:45 PM
nearly 12 Emma and nearly 14 Sean.

Sean doesnt know where the kitchen is and Emma usually likes to help cook. In fact she would prefer if I just left all the cooking down to her!!!!!

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:46 PM
I have just ordered:

15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes: Instant Recipes for Dinners, Desserts and More by Dana Carpender (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Carpender%2C%20Dana/203-3970625-2554336)

Save you copying all your recipes to me Emma :-D

lol her books are very good. Nice and easy to follow recipes :)

Let me know how you get on with the book

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:48 PM
old enough to help you then ;) You could suggest that you would like to spend say a morning one weekend, doing some cooking and see if Emma will help you? You can cook loads of different foods the low carb way, I have done pizzas before and they were great.

What do the children think of you low carbing?

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Emma is impressed with my weight loss and says "but mummy you are not fat" so LOVE her!!! Sean is a typical boy/teenager etc. He dont really care/not interested as long as dinner is on the table at the right time and he likes it!!

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 07:54 PM
aaawww it is really good that Emma has noticed your weight loss :) Sean sounds very much a typical male!!!! lol

Have you noticed anything like your hair, nails, skin improving?? I get VERY spotty if I have too many carbs, especially around my shoulders/neck, at the moment as I have been low carbing my skin is lovely and clear :)

Donna
09-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I have always been lucky with my skin. Never really had spots or problem skin so not really noticed a difference there. What I would say is that I have completely lost my craving for cakes/bread/biscuits etc and in doing so I have also lost cravings for other things like chocolate/crips and even vodka!!! Now when I fancy a drink in the evening i just have the diet cola without tipping the vodka in. Strange eh? Also noticed my trousers not so tight!! Only lost 6lb tho so wont see much yet.

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Wow good about the loss of cravings and also the trousers!!!

Have you noticed a strange taste in your mouth, a sort of metallic taste?

Donna
09-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Wow good about the loss of cravings and also the trousers!!!

Have you noticed a strange taste in your mouth, a sort of metallic taste?

No!!!!:shock:

Whats all that about then??????:? :roll:

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 08:13 PM
lol

Well some people, not everybody, when they low carb (usually about 20g carbs a day or less) get a metalic taste in their mouths, I get it, and I wondered if you had noticed it.

If you do get it, don't worry it is nothing to be concerned about. Not everybody gets it.

Donna
09-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Think they should change this to the "donna and emma chat thread" Hope no one minds!!!!

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 08:18 PM
lol I did think that earlier :) If anybody minds, please say :)

yola
09-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Of course not . . . as long as you don't mind us all posting what we're having for dinner sometimes ;)

dinahsmum
09-02-2006, 08:53 PM
You girls could add your recipes to the sticky at the top of this section - then we can all find them easily!
Don't mind you nattering but trawling through 40+ pages (and growing) will become more of a chore.:)
PS - I didn't really understand Az's instructions in the sticky :oops: - so if someone else starts I'll put my recipes there as well!

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 08:58 PM
DM I think Az just wanted us to post a link to the recipes rather than copying them out again. I have added one to the sticky, you will see what he means.

dandysmom
09-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh no DM - a good dry rose is very much in vogue now, especially with Thai and similar food.
Everything has its fashion, even wine. Remember Chardonnay?
Your cheese & bics and glass of wine sounds a good pre-bed treat to me!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_13.gif
You are more enlighteded on your side of the Atlantic:D Here the weekly wine column in the Post regularly sneers at rose (has been known to comment on "a waste of good grapes"!) :roll: and the liquor stores have gazillions of shelves of reds & whites from all over the world, but skimpy on roses:cry: Again, thanks for that pasta recipe

dandysmom
09-02-2006, 10:30 PM
My Misty LOVES cheese!!!!!:p
Maybe it comes with the name :)

dandysmom
09-02-2006, 10:33 PM
I love having cheese as well for a snack, Arthur likes it too :)

Well I am having salmon tonight with creamed leeks :) and veggies :)

Oh anybody low carbing and fancy something sweet and like coconut you can have a few chunks of creamed coconut (solid block) It is low in carbs and fairly high in fat so quite satisfying.

I made a couple of coconut custards, one for this evening and one for tomorrow for breakfast :) yummm!!!!
Emma, how do you fix creamed leeks? I love them, but usually cook them, split open, sprinkle finely-shredded mozzarella & a couple of grinds of pepper then pop them uder the broiler to melt the cheese..

EmmaG
09-02-2006, 10:43 PM
DM this is how I did them, trim leeks, split open and chop up, put them in a pan with a little water and some milk, cook on a moderate heat until nice and soft, remove leeks from pan, reduce the milk and water down so there is only a little bit left, add cream, butter and whatever cheese you like, heat gently, return leeks to the pan. Season with a bit of pepper

These were lovely!!!!

dandysmom
09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I am feeling lazy tonight so just having tuna salad, potato chips and curried cauliflower, and a sugar cookie with my tea! Our Whole Foods supermarket here specializes in organic foods: their baked goods are all organic and the sugar cookies taste exactly like the ones my Grandma used to bake & that I had on the back porch steps with a glass of milk when I was a little kid!!

dandysmom
10-02-2006, 03:56 AM
lol I did think that earlier :) If anybody minds, please say :)
Don't mind in the slightest; enjoy reading all the posts. But, if I'm not being to presumptious as a junior catpager, why not spit this into Low Carbs post and a new Dinner Tonight post..just an idea...:roll:

dandysmom
10-02-2006, 03:59 AM
DM this is how I did them, trim leeks, split open and chop up, put them in a pan with a little water and some milk, cook on a moderate heat until nice and soft, remove leeks from pan, reduce the milk and water down so there is only a little bit left, add cream, butter and whatever cheese you like, heat gently, return leeks to the pan. Season with a bit of pepper

These were lovely!!!!
Thanks!! Sounds yummy; may try:D

dinahsmum
10-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Don't mind in the slightest; enjoy reading all the posts. But, if I'm not being to presumptious as a junior catpager, why not spit this into Low Carbs post and a new Dinner Tonight post..just an idea...:roll:

Now that sounds a good idea! :)

dandysmom
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Tonight I'm fixing a Chinese dish: Shrimp & cellophane noodles with scallions 7 tomatoes ...spicy dish as it has chili garlic puree, but I love hot foods:D And a side of kim chi. also spicy..YUM!!

EmmaG
10-02-2006, 10:12 PM
DM that sounds nice :) I love Chinese food!! :)

Well I got some venison steaks for tomorrow dinner, not too sure how I am going to cook them, they seemed very reasonable each one was under £3

dandysmom
11-02-2006, 03:28 AM
DM that sounds nice :) I love Chinese food!! :)

Well I got some venison steaks for tomorrow dinner, not too sure how I am going to cook them, they seemed very reasonable each one was under £3
Have you ever tried venison stew? Haven't had it since I was in my teens; my uncle was a hunter & my aunt cooked a really mean venison stew:-D It's a little gamy & tough, but with long simmering, as I recall, became really tender, with lots of carrots, potatoes & onions:lol:

EmmaG
11-02-2006, 12:34 PM
dandysmon, I think I will pan fry these, next time I will get some cubed venison and make a stew :)

dinahsmum
11-02-2006, 12:37 PM
dandysmon, I think I will pan fry these, next time I will get some cubed venison and make a stew :)

Emma - this is a fab recipe. Not a 20 minute supper though - takes a lot of time to prepare (not a lot of work, it just has to sit in the marinade for ages) and needs to spow cook. http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showpost.php?p=87888&postcount=6

Let me know how the pan-frying goes. I've never been brave enough - venison is so lean I'd be afraid I would overcook it and turn it to cardboard.

EmmaG
11-02-2006, 12:41 PM
DM Thanks for that!!! I will cook the venison steaks carefully hopefully they will turn out ok :)

EmmaG
11-02-2006, 07:18 PM
DM Well I pan fried these and they came out fantastic!!! I did them for about 7 mins each side, OH only likes his meat well done ;) Then I popped in two teaspoons of Baxters Red Onion cutney and scrapped all the bits from the bottom of the pan so it made a nice sauce/gravy.

I will definately buy these again, however I bought two packs with two steaks in each and I cooked all four of these, as the meat is so dense me and the OH decided that one steak was enough :)

Next time I go back to the farm shop I bought these from I will pick up another pack and also some venison casserole :)

dinahsmum
11-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for that tip!
You're right, it is sooo dense, a little goes a long way.
The chutney idea is good too - or you could maybe caramelise an onion and add a drop of red wine or red wine vinegar.
The only comparable thing I've had is caribou steak in Canada and that came with a blueberry sauce. It was yummy!

EmmaG
11-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes it would also be good with a camamelised onion, (red onion would work very well) Also I must buy some juniper berries if I am going to cook more venison, as I always think they add a nice flavour to venison.

I usually have a jar of Baxters cutney in my fridge as I low carb this isn't too bad, and goes really well with cheese :) I have found it is one of the most versatile chutneys there is, seems to go with a lot of things :)

One thing I am surprised about with the venison is the cost of it, two good sized steaks only cost £2.48 which is a bit of a bargain.

hmmmm blueberry sauce sounds good.

dinahsmum
11-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Yes it would also be good with a camamelised onion, (red onion would work very well) Also I must buy some juniper berries if I am going to cook more venison, as I always think they add a nice flavour to venison.

I usually have a jar of Baxters cutney in my fridge as I low carb this isn't too bad, and goes really well with cheese :) I have found it is one of the most versatile chutneys there is, seems to go with a lot of things :)

One thing I am surprised about with the venison is the cost of it, two good sized steaks only cost £2.48 which is a bit of a bargain.

hmmmm blueberry sauce sounds good.

I've probably bored you telling you I was a veggie (no, I was a non-meat eater; I ate fish) for about 15 years and have only recently resumed eating local, organic, known-source beef and lamb and game. It appears to me that it is much more natural than animals which have eaten goodness knows what (other animals?) and received antibiotics, hormones, growth stimulants etc etc.
The game eats naturally and doesn't cost anyone to feed, so I guess the cost reflects the hygeine requirements for the butchering/storage, transport and profit.
Feels like win-win to me.

I've started a casserole today (put some stewing venison in to marinade) and .7 kilo cost just under £4. It will probably make 8 portions, certainly 6, possibly 10!

Donna
11-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I have just had cod steaks with cauliflower and brocolli with a cheese sauce. Delicious!!

EmmaG
11-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I know what you mean DM, I was a vegetarian for quite a few years, before I low carbed, I didn't even eat fish.

The venison that I bought was wild venison (not sure if all venison is wild) and came from the next county to the one I live in.

The older I get the less I like processed food and badly treated animal produce, I have recently switched over to free range eggs (before I wasn't very concerned out which ones I got) and even with my meat and veg I am getting more picky (buying veg from the local farm shop which is so reasonable, a cauliflower only cost me 60p where they are 90p in Sainsburys and the one from the farm shop looked better) I also got a butternut squash for about 50p where I know in Sainsburys they are nearly a pound, I should make an effort to pop to the farm shop more often (it is only a 5 min drive from work and I can pop there in my lunch hour)

When I get my cubed venison I will try out your casserole :)

EmmaG
11-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I have just had cod steaks with cauliflower and brocolli with a cheese sauce. Delicious!!

I love fish as I find it so light. It will be nice light meals for me next week (apart from Friday and Saturday :) )

Tomorrow I am cooking roast beef, OH will have roast potatoes, but I will have half a parsnip as a treat :)

dandysmom
11-02-2006, 10:43 PM
This will be another Chinese dinner tonight; steamed shrimp shiu mai with dipping sauces, brussels sprouts & kim chi. Glad to hear the venison steaks turned out so well:) I was never a big eater of processed foods, & much less so as I've gotten older. Luckily we have an organic market in the neighborhoodgreat meats, eggs, veggies, cheese...all organic...a tad pricy but WORTH IT!!:-D :-D

Elaine
12-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Me, O/H and a few friends went out to the greek restaurant tonight. Had a very pleasant evening. Had a few drinkies and danced on the chair and table, reluctantly I might add. Practiced my greek a little too much to the amusement of the greek waiters. Had a really good night, really good food and very reasonably priced too.:D

dandysmom
12-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Sounds like a nice evening!:D Not familiar with Greek food, except for stuffed grape leaves and a sort of a spinach type quiche that an old neighbor fixed for me years ago.Was very tasty; if I could remember what it was called, could Goodle the recipe!

dinahsmum
12-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Sounds like a nice evening!:D Not familiar with Greek food, except for stuffed grape leaves and a sort of a spinach type quiche that an old neighbor fixed for me years ago.Was very tasty; if I could remember what it was called, could Goodle the recipe!
That would be Spanakopitta Eileen. I've made versions of it, just with spinach, onion, garlic, dill and ready made puff pastry. Like it a lot.

Greek food (especially in Greece) is fab. I'm sure it's a factor towards the Greeks being the most long-lived Europeans (especially as the men smoke like crazy and they drive like lunatics). There is a similar dish I've eaten in the country areas called Horiatapittaka or similar, made with a wild-growing plant they pick on the mountain/hillsides. Bit like Elvis and his Polk Salad Annie.

Another of my favourites ia stuffed courgette (zucchini) flowers. Loulathia. They are stuffed with rice, pine nuts and a little bit of spice and fried. Sounds wierd, tastes great.

Mmmm, now I'm ready for my breakfast! Bon appetit!

Eileen - here are a few Greek dishes you could google and see what you think
Kleftico - slow cooked lamb on the bone with tomato based sauce
Souvlakia - skewered grilled meat
Stifado - 'stew'
Moussaka - minced lamb and aubergine (egg plant) 'lasagne'

EmmaG
12-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Just cooking some pastries for my other half, there is fresh croissants, pain au chocolat, and pain au raisins, I did pop a pain au raisin in the oven for myself as well ;)

Donna
12-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Just had lamb steaks with some mint sauce (not sure if allowed on low carb) and lots of veg's with cheese sauce. Very nice and very filling!!

EmmaG
12-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Donna a little bit of mint sauce will be ok :) (it has got sugar in it though ;) ) I wouldn't worry too much about your sauces/condiments as I think you are doing really well and they will not make too much difference unless you have having loads and loads of them.

I still have the odd bit of heinz ketchup etc

Booktigger
12-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Well, I just had quiche and some raw veg. Didnt make enough to fill me up though!!

dinahsmum
12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Local organic leg of lamb, studded with a few slivers of garlic and sprigs of rosemary, new potatoes, peas, carrots, broccilli and roast onion.
Delicious!

EmmaG
12-02-2006, 08:34 PM
BK and DM they both sounds nice :)

DM have you tried smoked garlic??

dandysmom
12-02-2006, 10:33 PM
That would be Spanakopitta Eileen. I've made versions of it, just with spinach, onion, garlic, dill and ready made puff pastry. Like it a lot.

Greek food (especially in Greece) is fab. I'm sure it's a factor towards the Greeks being the most long-lived Europeans (especially as the men smoke like crazy and they drive like lunatics). There is a similar dish I've eaten in the country areas called Horiatapittaka or similar, made with a wild-growing plant they pick on the mountain/hillsides. Bit like Elvis and his Polk Salad Annie.

Another of my favourites ia stuffed courgette (zucchini) flowers. Loulathia. They are stuffed with rice, pine nuts and a little bit of spice and fried. Sounds wierd, tastes great.

Mmmm, now I'm ready for my breakfast! Bon appetit!

Eileen - here are a few Greek dishes you could google and see what you think
Kleftico - slow cooked lamb on the bone with tomato based sauce
Souvlakia - skewered grilled meat
Stifado - 'stew'
Moussaka - minced lamb and aubergine (egg plant) 'lasagne'
Thanks so much for the name of that dish (I will Google it later tonight!):D I have a stifado recipe in one of my cookbooks & have fixed it; good! I love eggplant and pine nuts, so will look into that also...this is really a good post; pick up so many ideas & everyone willing to share

dandysmom
12-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Local organic leg of lamb, studded with a few slivers of garlic and sprigs of rosemary, new potatoes, peas, carrots, broccilli and roast onion.
Delicious!
Wish I'd been there to share it:-D Yum

dandysmom
12-02-2006, 10:41 PM
I am SNOWBOUND today!!:cry: We've had almost no snow all Winter, but a big nor'easter came up the coast yesterday & dumped a seasons worth of snow: 6 to 10":cry: I am NOT a Winter person....stuck in the house; buses in the neighborhood not running...so will comfort myself tonight with ham and cabbage with potatoes, carrots & leeks, with pickled beets on the side...and my usual ciabatta roll:-D

Mags
12-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I am SNOWBOUND today!!:cry: We've had almost no snow all Winter, but a big nor'easter came up the coast yesterday & dumped a seasons worth of snow: 6 to 10":cry: I am NOT a Winter person....stuck in the house; buses in the neighborhood not running...so will comfort myself tonight with ham and cabbage with potatoes, carrots & leeks, with pickled beets on the side...and my usual ciabatta roll:-D
We heard about your snow Eileen......have a look here, you've got a thread just for you:-D http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=4470

dandysmom
12-02-2006, 10:48 PM
I am SNOWBOUND today!!:cry: We have had hardly any snow this Winter, but a big nor'easter came up the coast yesterday and dumped a seasons worth of snow: 6 to 10"!!:cry: I am NOT a Winter person; stuck indoors, buses in the neighborhood not running so will comfort myself tonight with ham and cabbage with potatoes, carrots and leeks with pickled beets on the side...and my usual ciabatta roll.

dandysmom
12-02-2006, 11:02 PM
We heard about your snow Eileen......have a look here, you've got a thread just for you:-D http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=4470
Wow!! Thanks for the link, would probably never seen it...have replied...you all think it's funny since I am such a Winter-hater:roll: My time is coming: July & August:-D

dandysmom
13-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Monday is cook's night off chez moi: tonight will be a ham and cheese sandwich, potato chips and leeks with cheese. We're digging out of the snow, sun is shining, side streets plowed and bses running again!!:D

dinahsmum
14-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Well - I finally got to the allotment for the first time in 2006 today.
Sooooooooooooooo, we're having venison casserole with celeriac mash, purple sprouting, leeks and spinach (well leaf beet), all vegetables fresh picked today! It will be extra special.

Kazz
14-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Sounds good to me DM. You are becoming a venison addict ;)

dinahsmum
14-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Sounds good to me DM. You are becoming a venison addict ;)
Oh deer - do you think so? :roll:

Kazz
14-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Oh deer - do you think so? :roll:

Now don't STAGger this out ;)

EmmaG
14-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Now don't STAGger this out ;)

Enough of the joke you two, the buck really does stop here :-D

dinahsmum
14-02-2006, 04:44 PM
We'll stop fawning around, row out and leave it fallow then?

Have I red it right?

Aaaargh!

Kazz
14-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Doe do any more you lot:roll:

dinahsmum
14-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Nah - don't want to get stuck in a rutt.
Might fall behind on things.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_160.gif

EmmaG
14-02-2006, 07:06 PM
lol

anyway, I am having steak and veggies tonight :)

Donna
14-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I just had some cheese and some fresh tomato. Not that hungry today.

EmmaG
14-02-2006, 07:17 PM
I think you should cook something Donna ;)

Donna
14-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I did Emma - I cooked pizza for the kids - got a freezer full of "kids" food that needs to be used up before I can become a super mum and cook fresh every night!!

One question tho - for all you that cook "real" food - what do you put in your freezer!!!!

EmmaG
14-02-2006, 07:37 PM
hhmmm Donna sometimes you can be too smart!!!! lol

I have a lot of frozen meat, fish and milk, in my freezer I try my best to have fresh veg as well but I have got some veg frozen, peas and sweetcorn although I don't have these very often. Half of my freezer is full of meat the other half is really for the OH as we have a bag of chips in there, a few naan breads and a small tub of icecream.

Donna
14-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Well I did wonder cos if I take out all the convenience foods I will have an empty freezer!!!! But yes a good idea filling it with meat and stuff. I always have bread in my freezer and it will last even longer now I am not eating it. Also use frozen veg as whenever I buy fresh it sits on the side and goes off!!!

CJK
14-02-2006, 07:43 PM
i not hungry at all, probably just hav some soup

EmmaG
14-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Donna I wouldn't worry about the space in your freezer you will soon fill it up, It also means you can take advantage if you see some meat on special offer. Don't forget if you want to bake some low carb foods say a nice cheesecake you could always pop half of it in the freezer, same for some of the meals you might make, stews, currys etc. Make a bit more and pop them in the freezer for when you don't feel like doing all of the preparation, just pop them in the oven or microwave to heat up. :)

Donna
14-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Donna I wouldn't worry about the space in your freezer you will soon fill it up, It also means you can take advantage if you see some meat on special offer. Don't forget if you want to bake some low carb foods say a nice cheesecake you could always pop half of it in the freezer, same for some of the meals you might make, stews, currys etc. Make a bit more and pop them in the freezer for when you don't feel like doing all of the preparation, just pop them in the oven or microwave to heat up. :)

Oh you are so good Emma!!!! :-D

dandysmom
14-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Another stir fry tonight: shiiatake and button mushrooms, scallions, cabbage plus a strip of crispy bacon crumbled, & over rice. Also, kim chi. In the freezer: bacon, pizza crusts & pizza sauce, swordfish, shrimp shiu mai, pork potstickers, ciabatta and sesame seed rolls,pesto sauce, sliced mozzarella (freezes very well), baby limas (the default vegetable in my house when nothing at the market appeals or isn't fresh...the fresh spinach has been AWFUL lately), part of a ham, a rainbow trout and: a couple of unidentifiable things in foil wrap that I have no idea what are:-D :-D and have probably been there too long and that I should just throw out!!:roll: :-D :-D Loved the riff on venison...you all are MAD; that's why I love this site:-D :-D

dandysmom
15-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Whoops! Just re-read my last post about what was in the freezer & forgot the frozen meatballs!:roll: Meatball subs, spaghetti & meatballs:roll: :-D

EmmaG
15-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Well I am going to cook chicken, bacon and cheese for myself with some veggies.

OH will have pizza and some pasta :)

EmmaG
15-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Tonight I'm making cheese pizza...the only way I like it...with a generous sprinkling of dried oregano & hot pepper flakes; plus a green salad. As to canned tomatoes (I couldn't cook without them!!!) be careful as they are VERY high in sodium...190 mg in a 14 1/5 oz. can. Suppose they must be the same in UK?

DM I thought I would see how the UK tinned tomatoes compared with the US, now my 400g tin of tomatoes states it has less than 0.1g of sodium, so I am presuming these are quite low in sodium???? They are Sainsburys Premium peeled plum tomatoes??

dandysmom
15-02-2006, 10:21 PM
DM I thought I would see how the UK tinned tomatoes compared with the US, now my 400g tin of tomatoes states it has less than 0.1g of sodium, so I am presuming these are quite low in sodium???? They are Sainsburys Premium peeled plum tomatoes??
Emma, I don't know metric at all; wasn't taught in the schools back in the Dark Ages when I went; is a gram more or less than a milligram? (I suppose I could Google it, but easier to ask you:roll: My brand is Hunts Whole Peeled tomatoes and 411 grams in weight and, as I said 190 milligrams...I guess I just answered my own question ...obviously grams must be larger:roll: !! Should have looked at a casn BEFORE starting this post....Duh!!:roll:

EmmaG
15-02-2006, 10:28 PM
lol I think 1000 mg = 1 gram

Therefore your 190mg of sodium is .19g per tin, therefore my Sainsburys has less sodium that your brand.

yours is .19g whereas mine is less an .1g, not much in it really

dandysmom
15-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Tonight is Wednesday and Wednesday is ALWAYS pizza night in my house...love the stuff:D And the accompanying green salad. Emma, I think what you have are probably no-salt tomatoes, or possibly low salt. Next time I'm in the market will look at a can of each & see how many mg they have. It's interesting to compare, isn't it?

EmmaG
15-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Yes it is very interesting, especially as you Americans seem to have far more choice of food than we do :)

Donna
15-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Glad I can use tinned tomatos still!!

EmmaG
15-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Yes Donna you can still use them, it would be interesting to know what your sodium levels are on your tins though ;)

dandysmom
16-02-2006, 04:11 AM
Yes, Donna, do post yours. I guess I am lucky in living in Washington; we have so many supermarkets & such a huge selection of things: large ethnic stuff, which is nice for me as I like to cook Chinese, Thai & Japanese (make a MEAN miso soup:-D ) and our lovely organic Whole Foods chain: when I mention stuff like bacon, cheese, rolls, etc. they are all organic, no additives or preservatives, just all natural stuff the way our grandparents ate:lol:

Donna
16-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Yes Donna you can still use them, it would be interesting to know what your sodium levels are on your tins though ;)

Need to get some more and when I do, I will let you know Emma :p

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Well I have had today coconut custard :) for breakfast, chicken balti for lunch (minus rice) and for dinner I am going to have Thai Chicken (Sainsburys own) and veggies :)

Donna
16-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Checked my tinned tomatoes - Asda's today - and it just says a TRACE of sodium.

dandysmom
16-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Tonight I'm fixing an Italian meatball sub, potato chips and fresh spinach.:D

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Well we were going to go out for a meal this evening but I have had to cancel it, so we are having duck legs and veggies tonight :)

dinahsmum
17-02-2006, 08:28 PM
One of our favourites tonight - poached fresh haddock on mustard mash with buttered spinach and grain mustard sauce. Mmmm

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 08:32 PM
DM I got some cubed venison for Sunday :) Going to cook a nice casserole :)

dinahsmum
17-02-2006, 08:35 PM
DM I got some cubed venison for Sunday :) Going to cook a nice casserole :)
Mm, sure you'll enjoy!

Have you got the juniper berries to add that little 'something'? Only need two or three.

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Yes I have got some!!! :) I am going to do a similar marinade to the one you posted up I have got a lot of the ingredients :)

dinahsmum
17-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Sure you'll enjoy it! You could pop it in the marinade now. I often leave it 3 or more days in the fridge.

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Well I just made a marinade for it :) didn't have any red wine but I will pick some up tomorrow so it can be added overnight.

I added to the marinade

Juniper berries crushed
allspice - pinch
stock - small mixture of veg and beef
Cider vinegar
Olive oil
and I put a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a bit of balsamic vinegar

tasted quite nice, venison is now in the fridge.

Do you think this sounds ok??

dandysmom
17-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Emma, sounds mouthwatering!!! Let us know how it turned out. I checked the "no salt added" canned tomatoes today at the market & they had 25mg of sodium?? Seens high to me compared to yours in the UK...but low compared to our regular here with 190mg:roll: Dinner tonight is chicken noodle soup (simmering on the stove as I write..smells heavenly) and the usual green salad and roll.

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Dandysmon these sodium levels are all very confusing aren't they?? so that would make it 0.025 of salt which is a lot better, have you tried these??? Shame the tins are so heavy otherwise I would offer to post some out to you!! lol

dandysmom
18-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Emma, thanks for that generous impulse, BUT I accidentally bought a unsalted can of tomatoes several years ago and thought it was awful:cry: NO flavor...I guess I'm addicted to the saltier variety that I've grown up with, and, as I have no problems with hypertension (usual blood presure is 114/72 :D ) I'll stick with the usual...although I don't add salt to any recipe I'm making when I use tomatoes. How was the venison??

EmmaG
18-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Dandysmon I will be cooking that venison tomorrow and I will report back :)

dinahsmum
18-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Well I just made a marinade for it :) didn't have any red wine but I will pick some up tomorrow so it can be added overnight.

I added to the marinade

Juniper berries crushed
allspice - pinch
stock - small mixture of veg and beef
Cider vinegar
Olive oil
and I put a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a bit of balsamic vinegar

tasted quite nice, venison is now in the fridge.

Do you think this sounds ok??

Very similar to the one in my marinade Emma. Mine has a spoon of redcurrant jelly, also chopped veg (onion, celery, carrot) which you discard.
Sure you'll love it. The small whilst it cooks is wonderful!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_13_8.gif

EmmaG
18-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I didn't have any redcurrent jelly so I popped a spoonful of Baxters Cranberry and red onion cutney in :)

Off to Tescos in a min so I will pick up a bottle of red :)

EmmaG
18-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Just added some red wine and redcurrent jelly (£1 bargain from tescos - redcurrent jelly :) )

dandysmom
18-02-2006, 10:26 PM
My mouth is watering for some of that venison:-D ! Unfortunately none of the 3 supermarkets in my neighborhood carry it:cry: Oh well, am having pork potstickers, curried cauliflower & kim chi tonight & will enjoy:D