PDA

View Full Version : What are you having for your dinner tonight?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

dinahsmum
19-02-2006, 11:41 AM
We will have rapid luxury today.
'Gigot de mer' (whole tail of monkfish), - cooked quick and hot in the oven with garlic, olive oil and bay leaves, roasted tomatoes on the vine sprinkled with thyme and herbed rice. 20 minutes from start to finish. And delicious. And healthy, I guess.

EmmaG
19-02-2006, 04:41 PM
hmmmm DM that sounds good, I do like monkfish.

The venison casserole smells devine (popped it in the oven not long ago) :) really looking forward to it :)

EmmaG
19-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Well DM what can I say.....that venison casserole was absolutely fantastic, I think it was the best casserole I have ever made. Next time I will follow your instructions and ingredients a little bit more closer and marinate the meat a bit long (although it was lovely and succulent) I have another pack of venison now in my freezer so in a couple of weeks time I will make this again.......hhhmmmmm heavenly :) Thanks for the recipe :)

Donna
19-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Well DM what can I say.....that venison casserole was absolutely fantastic, I think it was the best casserole I have ever made. Next time I will follow your instructions and ingredients a little bit more closer and marinate the meat a bit long (although it was lovely and succulent) I have another pack of venison now in my freezer so in a couple of weeks time I will make this again.......hhhmmmmm heavenly :) Thanks for the recipe :)

Sounds like you enjoyed your dinner Emma :-D

dinahsmum
19-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm pleased it was good!

EmmaG
19-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Donna go and get yourself some venison.....lol DM it was more than good ;)

Donna
19-02-2006, 07:17 PM
I have never tried it. Wouldnt even know where you buy it from!!

EmmaG
19-02-2006, 07:32 PM
I have had smoked venison before, but I had never tried cooking with venison until a couple of weeks ago, I bought mine from a local farm shop, it is very cheap as well, it was only £2.40 for 330kg which was two generous portions.

cataddiction
19-02-2006, 08:15 PM
We are having a roast dinner:D :D my favourite;)

dandysmom
19-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Tonight will be broiled swordfish, curried potatoes, baby limas and a roll. Glad that venison casserole was so god, Emma!Sounds yummy:D

Kazz
19-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Good Lord you all eat so well We had roast chicken, roast potaoes, mashed potato (love mash) cauli (fresh) carrots (fresh) homemade cheese sauce and gravy.

Karen

EmmaG
20-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Sainsburys Chicken with sausagemeat :) and veggies :)

Donna
20-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Sainsburys Chicken with sausagemeat :) and veggies :)

Is that a ready made dinner Emma??

EmmaG
20-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Yes it is two pieces of chicken breast, with a piece of sausage meat on top with a strip of bacon over them, and then there are two separate servings of stuffing. So it feeds two people, it would be easy enough to do yourself though. The price is quite good however as they are £2.95 each or buy two (wide variety) for £5, making them £2.50 each. The cost of Sainsburys plain chicken breasts being £4.99 for 4 you cannot beat the price making them yourself.

These ones are my favorite as well!!! lol

dandysmom
20-02-2006, 10:23 PM
No-cook Monday = a SARDINE SANDWICH!!!:-D (Those on the Lets Start a Story thread will get it:-D) Also, broiled portobello, potato chips & the rest of the spinach.

Mags
20-02-2006, 10:25 PM
[quote=dandysmom]No-cook Monday = a SARDINE SANDWICH!!!:-D (Those on the Lets Start a Story thread will get it:-D)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
21-02-2006, 03:34 AM
And it was indeed a good sardine sandwich; haven't had one for ages and the story inspired me! :-D This forum is SO much fun...was very amused at the bit about my arriving from the States with crates of pork potstickers and kim chi...I feel like the new kid on the block who's been accepted...:roll: :-D

Mags
21-02-2006, 02:22 PM
We are pleased that you are enjoying it here so much Dandysmom!:-D

CJK
21-02-2006, 04:01 PM
just as long as you tell me you DONT have kool aid dm, cos if you do I'll be soooo mad. I love the stuff and we just can't get it over here.
God i went nuts on 5c day at dominic's!!!! i love grape, lemonade and cherry the best!

had a lovely tin of tommy soup for lunch, not had soup for ages, really enjoyed it.

got chicken breast tonight, looks like I'm eating lightly as hubby gone off home with my bank card and we got little food in the house.

Speical K for supper by the looks of it!

have got 4 boxes coco rocks for the kids, and 36 weetabix so we won't starve lol

logoes
21-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Oh, chicken casserole tonight, done the easy way - put frozen mixed veg in bottom of casserole, add lots of mushrooms then chicken, a can of chicken soup and plenty of tarragon. Cook and eat with pasta, and wash down with a bottle of plonk!!! Anyone coming round to join me? Logoes.

CJK
21-02-2006, 04:53 PM
wow that sounds really nice!!!!

Kazz
21-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Roast Beef here with the trimmings, and trifle to follow.

dinahsmum
21-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Saturday's left over Chinese (frozen then) - dinner for one! May be on CP more than usual tonight!

EmmaG
21-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Well I am not that hungry at the moment but I am going to cook some sausages and I might do a stir fry of leek and sprouts to go with them :) I know, I know sounds a bit weird ;)

Donna
21-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Not as weird as my dinner Emma!!! I had some cheese/cucumber/tomato and was still a bit peckish so I had the kids left over veg with a bit of butter on!! Thats it!!

dandysmom
21-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Tonight will be linguini with pesto, salad and roll. Emma, actually I think that sausage, leek and sprouts stir fry sounds tasty, not weird. Do you do your own sprouts?

EmmaG
21-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Ok so Donna and me have lost the food plot totally!!!! lol

Dandysmom I think it would have made more sense if I had cut the sausage up and added it to the stir fry!!! lol I had two sausages and a mound of stir fried leeks, sprouts and added some broccoli I found :)

No these were supermarket sprouts, I do grow a lot of veg in the summer though :)

dandysmom
22-02-2006, 03:47 AM
I like to do my own sprouts; get the seeds & do them; very tasty:D And love home-grown tomatoes and beans from my tiny city back yard. It is nearing St. Patrick's Day which is the traditional time to start the seeds indoors here; and if the weather moderates a bit, may plant radish seed outdoors for an early crop...so nice to pull early radishes for a salad addition (you all know by now that I'm a big salad addict:-D ) or just to munch on!!

dinahsmum
22-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Chilli con carne here - or chilli con Quorne actually, as I don't eat minced beef :roll: (fussy aren't I?). Hope it will clear my sinuses!
Do you remember I asked what I should do with the scotch bonnet chilli I grew last year? (they are reputed to be truly fearsome :shock: ). Well, being too scared to cook with them I pierced them and popped them in a bottle of olive oil. The result is fab! Chilli Oil! Use it to make salad dressings etc and it's been really good for frying down the onion etc for this chilli.
So, there we are - will try to grow more this year. Have sown seed.

Kazz
22-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Cannelloni here and going to have chips haven't had chips for a while (homemade of course):D

yola
22-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Roasted courgettes and potatoes over chopped avocado and tomato topped off with breaded cod probably with Waitrose's delicious dill and mustard dressing. :)

EmmaG
22-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Well I was going to have florentine Chicken (Sainsburys) with veg, cooked the chicken and it was terrible, tough as old boots, so mine went in the bin!!! ate the veggies though :roll:

I just hope I am not hungry later, although I have got a spare lemon custard in my freezer :-D

Donna
22-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I had your recipe from other night Emma - stir fry sausage/onion/sprouts with grated cheese on top!!!

EmmaG
22-02-2006, 10:05 PM
lol what did it turn out like????? did you enjoy it??

Donna
22-02-2006, 10:21 PM
lol what did it turn out like????? did you enjoy it??

it was interesting shall we say!! :D

EmmaG
22-02-2006, 10:42 PM
lol Oh well an interesting dish isn't so bad once in a while. When you have got down to your ideal weight Donna you could always do a pasta dish using wholemeal pasta, sausages and a tin of tomatoes :)

dandysmom
22-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Chilli con carne here - or chilli con Quorne actually, as I don't eat minced beef :roll: (fussy aren't I?). Hope it will clear my sinuses!
Do you remember I asked what I should do with the scotch bonnet chilli I grew last year? (they are reputed to be truly fearsome :shock: ). Well, being too scared to cook with them I pierced them and popped them in a bottle of olive oil. The result is fab! Chilli Oil! Use it to make salad dressings etc and it's been really good for frying down the onion etc for this chilli.
So, there we are - will try to grow more this year. Have sown seed.
DM, that's the classic recipe for making chili oil!! And you figured it out for yourself!! I think you all know that I am a spicy food lover, so when I say Habanero (Scotch Bonnet) chilis are too hot for me...then you know that they are HOT!! I do grow my own Tabasco and Thai Hot peppers. use them fresh in stir fries & dry what I can't use.

dandysmom
22-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh, forgot to say this is pizza & salad night! Saw a recipe in today's Food section in the paper for scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and cayenne pepper; sounds nice & think I will try it.

EmmaG
23-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Chicken Balti tonight, minus rice and naan bread :) (well I might have a tiny bit of rice :) )

Lemon custard to follow :)

Donna
23-02-2006, 07:58 PM
I have cod and veggies.

EmmaG
23-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Sounds very nice Donna :) I had salmon with white wine sauce and veggies at lunchtime.

Well I had my chicken balti had a spoonful of rice and a tiny piece of naan bread, very nice it was too :)

dandysmom
23-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Making my stir-fry tonight: cabbage, bacon, mushooms & scallions with brown rice and, of course kim chi!!:-D I was kidded a bit in the Story about kim chi, but don't laugh....I have not had a cold in years:-D It DOES clear out the sinuses!! :-D

dandysmom
24-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Ministrone soup & a roll; this is such a filling soup I'm skipping the salad tonight.

Kazz
25-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Tonight had spatchcock chicken sprinkled with cracked black pepper and a little salt - with fresh pasta in pesto. Goregeous.

Spatchcock is simply chicken with the backbone cut out and I skewer it this was a fresh organic chicken from the farm down the road a bit I went and brought my eggs, cheese pork and a couple of chickens from there today. :) Oh yes and some beef for a "stew" to take to my Uncle Arnie this week.

Karen

dandysmom
25-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Sounds delicious, Kazz! I'm having shrimp shiu mai with diping sause, fresd spinich and my ubquitous kim chi!!:-D

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Well I went out for a meal on Friday and Saturday.

Friday I had ham terrine, then for main course monkfish and parma ham and veggies, followed by some cheese

Yesterday I went out for an italian and had a mixture of starters (there was 22 of us) and crayfish salad. It was very nice but unfortunately I was very ill that evening, not sure if it was food related or not :(

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I am attempting to make a smoked fish risotto tonight. Made a wonderful one last summer, but the second attempt didn't work (I don't follow recipes very well), so I hope tonights doe.

dinahsmum
26-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Hope the risotto is good BT. Sounds a bit like kedgeree, which I love.
We're having braised lamb shanks followed by apple crumble and cream (maybe vanilla ice cream as well, if we're feeling really decadent!)

Het
26-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Lancashire MacHotpot here...its normal hotpot but with Haggis as well as blackpudding....

dandysmom
26-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Tonight it's chicken livers sauted with mushrooms & scallions, wild rice, and a roll.

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 06:35 PM
I am doing Salmon with Hollandaise sauce and roasted veg :)

dandysmom
27-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Monday!! Tuna sandwich, chips, broiled portobello & the rest of the fresh spinach.

dandysmom
01-03-2006, 03:12 AM
Oh dear, this seems to be turning into what Dandysmom had for dinner...?? Tonight I had spaghetti & meatballs, salad & a roll; comfort food..we had a mild January but February has been cold, snowy, raw, windy...just depressing!! And tomorrow, more of the same...March will be coming in like a lion!! Do you have that expression in the UK also?

EmmaG
01-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Dandysmom I had meatballs last night :) with roasted veg :)

Never heard of that expression before ;)

Mags
01-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Oh dear, this seems to be turning into what Dandysmom had for dinner...?? Tonight I had spaghetti & meatballs, salad & a roll; comfort food..we had a mild January but February has been cold, snowy, raw, windy...just depressing!! And tomorrow, more of the same...March will be coming in like a lion!! Do you have that expression in the UK also?
We often say that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb!:-P :-P

EmmaG
01-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Well I just cut up some chicken, onion, butternut squash, carrot, and I have done a sweet and sour using some sharwoods spicy tomato sauce :) I will only have a little bit of the sauce :) should be nice and filling :)

yola
01-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Roasted veggies (a fave our mine) - take a while to prepare but worth it. Butter nut squash, sweet potatoes, red onion, red peppers, courgette, carrot and parsnip all cubed with honey/mustard/olive oil home made dressing and finished off with blue buffalo cheese (much lighter than cow's blue cheese).

Speakingof which, must get back to peeling the BNS . . . it's such a pig to get the skin off :roll:

dandysmom
01-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Yes, Mags, that's the expression I meant...weatherforcaster was wrong, wasn't nasty, cold & blustery, but quite a bit of sun & made it up to 50...so now it will go OUT like a lion, :cry: Anyhow, Wednesday is, as ever, pizza & salad:-D

EmmaG
02-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Youngs lemon pepper salmon tonight with roasted veg (Butternut squash, courgette, parsnip, carrot :) )

dandysmom
02-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Tuscan bread and tomato soup (zuppa de brodo i pomidori) and salad. Soup ,also has coarsely chopped tomatoes grated parmesan and oregano...warm on a chilly evening.

dandysmom
03-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Eating out tonight; taking two friends out for dinner to celebrate a birthday. We're going to our favorite Chinese restaurant so I will probably have the things I enjoy there: egg roll, hot & sour soup & shrimp & lobster sauce. This is a Cantonese restuarant so can't have any of my spicy dishes. But fun to eat out & not have to wash up after! :-D

dinahsmum
04-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Hope you had a lovely time Eileen.
Tonight we're having one of my favourites - grilled tuna steak with saute sweet potato and salad with honey/mustard dressing. Yum.

Fran
04-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Having friends over this evening so we are going to order a Chinese meal in :D

Donna
04-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Still recovering from last nights "couple of drinks" so not sure what I am gonna eat - feel bit delicate!!

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Still recovering from last nights "couple of drinks" so not sure what I am gonna eat - feel bit delicate!!

:-D :-D :-D :-D How about a nice greasy fry up :-D

We are having roast duck this evening :-D with veggies

Donna
04-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I had eggs and bacon for brekkie Emma!! Always crave that after "a few drinks"!!

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I know what you mean Donna when I use to go to night clubs (many moons ago :roll: ) I use to have a burger or kebab on the way home ;)

Kim
04-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Hope you had a good meal out Eilleen. I love Cantonese food.

I worked last night, so a bit tired now. We are having chicken breasts with roaseted veg and new pots. Yummy! Then an early night me thinks.

dandysmom
04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks DM & Kim, did have a delightful time: my friend was celebrating his 85th birthday!! Lovely meal. Tonight one of my favorites: pork potstickers, brussells sprouts & kim chi (of course!!:- ) Going to try a new recipe I found in the Food Section for tomorrow's dinner: Italian meatball soup. Sounds good, will comment after I try it.

EmmaG
05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
We are having lamb chops tonight, the original plan was to eat the leftover duck from yesterday but we ate it all :)

dinahsmum
05-03-2006, 11:18 AM
going out for Sunday lunch! 'Rah!

dinahsmum
05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
back from Sunday lunch - just!
Roast lamb, roast potaoes, roast parsnips, new potatoes, cabbage, swede, stuffing and gravy........................and I just found room for bread & butter pudding and custard! :shock: Now having a coffee and piece of dark chocolate at home. :)

Donna
05-03-2006, 04:39 PM
back from Sunday lunch - just!
Roast lamb, roast potaoes, roast parsnips, new potatoes, cabbage, swede, stuffing and gravy........................and I just found room for bread & butter pudding and custard! :shock: Now having a coffee and piece of dark chocolate at home. :)

Mmmm that sounds like my kinda Sunday lunch!!!:lol:

Kim
05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Thats sounds yummy DM. We are going out for dinner too - but only because we have found a leak in the kitchen and we have had to take all the lino up to dry the floor out. The washing machine and dishwasher is on the patio and the fridge/freezer and tumble dryer is in the hall! arghhh

dandysmom
05-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh, Kim, how awful!! Will the kitchen be torn up very long? At least you got to eat out with no washing-up; hope it was good:-D

Kim
05-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Yes, the food was excellent Eilleen, and we got 20% discount as both my kids work there. Luckily the floor has dried up quicker than we expected and the cupboards are all okay. We will leave the vinyl off for a few days to make sure. The cats wonder what's happening!

dandysmom
06-03-2006, 03:21 AM
Well, I tried that new recipe for Italian meatball soup tonight, and it was good, not great...would give a 6.5 or 7 on a scale of 10. Saute garlic, celery, onions & carrots in olive oil, brown the meatballs, add to pre-cooked white beans, add chicken broth & simmer, then add baby spinach, and shredded cheese. Think I will save my meatballs for meatball subs and with spaghetti:-D Oh well, something different. Am going to try another new one Tuesday: bacon, rotini & frizzled basil with hot pepper flakes...didn't know what "frizzled" meant until I read the instructions: means toss in at the last minute & let go limp...I tend to fix the same things over & over, & then get a fit of trying new recipes...sometimes they work & sometimes they don't:roll: :-D :-D

Donna
06-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Beef stew and dumplings tonight with lots of veg!!! Well thats what the children are having - I will pick out some meat and veg and just have that as I am low carbing!!!

EmmaG
06-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Chicken curry tonight, with half a kema naan for me :)

dinahsmum
06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
We had freezer suprise! - an unlabelled joy :roll: . Turned out to be chicken (well, quorn pseudo-chicken) in mushroom sauce and it was rather nice, with rice and peas. Glad it wasn't vanilla ice cream - wouldn't have been so good!:)

EmmaG
06-03-2006, 08:50 PM
We had freezer suprise! - an unlabelled joy :roll: . Turned out to be chicken (well, quorn pseudo-chicken) in mushroom sauce and it was rather nice, with rice and peas. Glad it wasn't vanilla ice cream - wouldn't have been so good!:)

lol lol lol :-D :-D :-D

dandysmom
06-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Usual unimaginative Monday: bacon & sliced mozarella on a sesame seed bun, chips, broiled portobello & cauliflower. Grey, cloudy day here, only 44 degrees, but predicted snow DIDN"T come!! :-D

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Having Plaice florentine (Sainsburys) with a massive stuffed mushroom and steamed veg :)

yola
07-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Home made curry today. Chicken breasts in a bottled sauce (my one concession to prepared food) , and then mushrooms and potatos (with brown onions ;) ) in a self-ground curry paste. Might have grated carrot salad with hot mustard seeds aswell . . . possibly gluten-free naan bread if hubby's peckish!

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Sounds very nice Yola :)

Donna
07-03-2006, 06:26 PM
I had stir fry chicken.

yola
07-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Sounds very nice Yola :)

Thanks Emma - I was just going to say that about your dinner!! :D

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks Yola, I must admit I LOVE curry I could have it everyday!!! :)

dandysmom
08-03-2006, 03:37 AM
Well, I did try that new recipe for rotini with basil, garlic & hot pepper flakes tonight, and WOW! It is a keeper! You know how sometimes you try a new recipe & it's just so-so, and occasionally you get one to add to the repertoire (did I spell that right?) this is delicious:-D May need a little tweaking, think it could use a tad more basil & grated cheese. Somewhere in one of these posts, I tend to lose who said what in which post, someone, think it was Emma, said about adapting recipes to your own taste...so right!

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Well I am having salsa chicken tonight (Sainsburys :) ) with steamed veg :)

yola
08-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm having a low-carb-friendly dinner and one we used to have regularly when on atkins . . . large bowl of steamed brocolli with meatballs and cheese sauce. Quick, simple and EVER so tasty LOL!!!

Donna
08-03-2006, 07:20 PM
I had my first even homemade from scratch chicken curry and rice.

Taken from EmmaG's low carb recipe. All I can say is "yum". How many years have I wasted not eating curry????????? Was only a very mild one, but I have three empty plates here - kids loved it too!!!

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Yola that sounds really nice, I think I need to have a go at making some meatballs from scratch :)

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I had my first even homemade from scratch chicken curry and rice.

Taken from EmmaG's low carb recipe. All I can say is "yum". How many years have I wasted not eating curry????????? Was only a very mild one, but I have three empty plates here - kids loved it too!!!

Woohooooo!!!!! and they will only get better with more practice ;) I am really glad everybody enjoyed it, did you have a go at doing the blackened onions??

Donna
08-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Woohooooo!!!!! and they will only get better with more practice ;) I am really glad everybody enjoyed it, did you have a go at doing the blackened onions??

Yes - see my email I just sent you Emma, but for everyone's info I did keep on trying to cook them and got them to dark brown, but worried the kids would say I burnt dinner :shock: so got worried about getting them any darker!!!

The sauce looked slightly "separated" so think I might have used too much oil with the onions tho.:roll:

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Yes - see my email I just sent you Emma, but for everyone's info I did keep on trying to cook them and got them to dark brown, but worried the kids would say I burnt dinner :shock: so got worried about getting them any darker!!!

The sauce looked slightly "separated" so think I might have used too much oil with the onions tho.:roll:

I wouldn't worry about the separated look, sometimes when I use a fair bit of oil this happens as well, doesn't bother me, but you can always spoon some of the oil off before serving, or take off the heat and add a small amount of cream, mix like mad and it should be a bit better :)

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Next time I do the blackened onions I will take a photo so everybody can see what they look like :-D

Donna
08-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Great idea Emma - I should of photographed my effort and Sean's before and after plate - was Gone in 60 Seconds!!!

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 07:45 PM
lol What did he say about it?????

Donna
08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
lol What did he say about it?????

He says "lush".:p :p