PDA

View Full Version : Dieting/Low Carbs

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

EmmaG
05-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes Donna they sound a lot lot better. Enjoy them :)

What make are they?

Donna
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Yes Donna they sound a lot lot better. Enjoy them :)

What make are they?

Tesco Butcher's Choice. Think that was the one you found on the internet. Maybe I just have one with my brekkie, and then that will be good eh?? :p

EmmaG
05-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Well they are a lot lower carbs than the other ones, I think they will be fine :) I hope you like them ;)

Donna
05-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Me too!! Love sausages!!!

I am gonna have cod steaks tonight with cauliflower and brocolli with cheese sauce. Yum yum!!! Gonna do it in a minute!!!

Donna
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Do you know of a good low carb gravy recipe?????????

EmmaG
06-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Donna how do you usually make your gravy??

How did you get on with the scales today??

Donna
06-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Gravy normally comes in a tub as granules Emma!! But they are 45g carb so didnt think wise!!!

Anyway had beef stew which the kids had but didnt have gravy - only the bit on the meat. Just had that with brocolli and cauliflower and some carrot.

Scales are playing tricks on me. Gone up to 10 1 this morning.

EmmaG
06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
I think Bisto Best granules are not too bad - just checked my jar - yes they are 2.8g carbs per 50ml serving. So if you want to use granules these would be ok.

Alternatively you could try just adding a spoonful of cornflour or plain flour to thicken up the meat juices, one spoonful of flour to thicken up the gravy should be enough for say 4 people so again the carb count won't be that bad.

Interesting when I went into Sainsburys today I had a look at one of their frozen Moroccan Chicken with cous cous, it was 84g carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol that is a lot!!!

Don't worry about the scales it must be a Monday thing, mine where up 1lb as well, as long as you are losing overall don't worry about it. I have noticed sometime they seem to go up and then I have a bit of a loss over the next few days.

Donna
06-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Well I only had the bit of gravy the meat was stuck to. It was cooked in gravy but it looked dry on the plate.

Will look at the carbs on the other packets in the shop. That is something I need to think of doing more.

EmmaG
06-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Yes Donna sometimes it is just a case of picking the lower carb food, sometime (especially with processed ready made meals) you will notice the carb content and realise there is a lot of sugar/hidden carbs. Nowadays it puts me off this type of food totally.

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Here is a nice recipe for cheesy stuffed mushroom.

take one large mushroom, remove any outer skin. Place on a baking try, flat side down so the stalk is face up, dot fresh with butter, then spread a little bit of cream cheese ontop of butter then add some slices of cheddar cheese, finish with herbs of your choice, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and then place in a hot oven (200c) for 20-30 mins until nice and brown on top.

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:10 PM
pic ;)

http://www.catforum.com/photos/data/500/3440Mushroom_004-m.jpg

If you want to add a bit of crunch to this you could also add a few chopped cashew nuts, but it will increase the carb levels :)

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:19 PM
:) full meal

http://www.catforum.com/photos/data/500/3440Mushroom_008.jpg

Donna
07-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Looks lovely Emma, but I cannot stand mushrooms!!!!

Anyway, had stir fry chicken tonight. Was ok, nothing special. Didnt know if you added anything to it other than the stir fry stuff and the chicken!!!! Oh well, am full up anyway!

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Now why did I think you liked mushrooms??????????? aarrrggghhhh I am going mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Glad you liked your stir fry you can add a little bit of soy sauce, if you can find a stir fry sauce that is lowish carbs you can have that (Don't forget if you are serving it to more than one person to divide up the carb count) and you can always drain off a bit of the sauce by serving it with a slotted serving spoon :)

Either that if you find one that seems quite high only use half and add a bit of water to make it go further ;)

Donna
07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Now why did I think you liked mushrooms??????????? aarrrggghhhh I am going mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Glad you liked your stir fry you can add a little bit of soy sauce, if you can find a stir fry sauce that is lowish carbs you can have that (Don't forget if you are serving it to more than one person to divide up the carb count) and you can always drain off a bit of the sauce by serving it with a slotted serving spoon :)

Either that if you find one that seems quite high only use half and add a bit of water to make it go further ;)

Mushrooms are like prawns!! I am a bit scared of them:oops: :shock:

Did open my newly purchased bottle of worcester sauce but didnt know if I could use it so only sprinkled a tiny bit on and couldnt taste it!!!

Emma had chicken chow mein which I made!!! Bought the packet of noodles and sprouty thingies and just added chicken and she poured loads of soy sauce on.

Sean followed our healthy-ish meal with a pizza - NOT!!! :-D :-D

Mags
07-03-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm glad you forgot Donna doesn't like mushrooms Emma and posted the pic because that looks yummy and I have made a note of it!!:-D

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:34 PM
lol the prawns I can sort of understand but scared of mushrooms ?????? ;)

Yes Worcesther sauce is fine, you can also use that in your stews/casseroles :)

Donna you can have the sprouty things :) they are VERY low carb and quite nice to snack on raw :) They are called beansprouts I think :)

Hey Sean is no doubt burning loads of calories off at his age :) lucky thing :)

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm glad you forgot Donna doesn't like mushrooms Emma and posted the pic because that looks yummy and I have made a note of it!!:-D

:-D :-D :-D :-D Thanks Mags :) glad I didn't waste my photography skills there :roll: The mushroom was very nice :)

You can also add a bit of wilted spinach to it as well :)

Donna
07-03-2006, 06:41 PM
:-D :-D :-D :-D Thanks Mags :) glad I didn't waste my photography skills there :roll:

Well, the photography skills are amazing!!! :-D :-D

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Well, the photography skills are amazing!!! :-D :-D

:-D :-D :-D :-D :lol: :lol: :lol: Shame the camera isn't.....lol retched thing.....lol

Donna
07-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Choccy craving - any good replacements???????????????

EmmaG
07-03-2006, 06:54 PM
carrot????????????? lol

I would have a nice coffee with cream instead :)

Strange you saying that I had a chip craving earlier today..... :) (No I didn't have any :) )

Donna in future you can buy very very dark chocolate (I think it is about 79% coco or above) and you can have a cube of that if you really feel the need, it is very strong though ;)

Donna
08-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the magazines Emma - at work at the moment, so cant look!!! Cant wait to have a good look through!!!!

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 12:40 PM
They came quick :) They are quite good magazine, very hard to find though :)

Donna
08-03-2006, 12:41 PM
They came quick :) They are quite good magazine, very hard to find though :)

I have never seen the before! Can you get them online somewhere I wonder???

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 12:42 PM
They use to sell them in WH Smith but I couldn't find them recently. I think there are subscription details in the magazines.

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Donna I have today ordered some spaghetti squash seeds :)

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Donna - had a few thoughts today about low carb food. I know we talked yesterday about using lettuce instead of bread and you said you had done this will egg mayo, do you like coleslaw?? because if you get a good quality one they are quite low carbs, Tesco's finest is really nice, you could use this on the lettuce (I actually had some today :) )

Also do you like seeds?? Muncy seeds do some mixes that are very low carb, they are really nice as a snack. The only one high in carbs is the vanilla mix, the rest are ok.

Donna
09-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Donna - had a few thoughts today about low carb food. I know we talked yesterday about using lettuce instead of bread and you said you had done this will egg mayo, do you like coleslaw?? because if you get a good quality one they are quite low carbs, Tesco's finest is really nice, you could use this on the lettuce (I actually had some today :) )

Also do you like seeds?? Muncy seeds do some mixes that are very low carb, they are really nice as a snack. The only one high in carbs is the vanilla mix, the rest are ok.

Yes love coleslaw but only the best ones!! Tesco finest I love!! Glad I can have coleslaw!!! Thanks Emma.

But not had seeds before, they look a bit like rabbit droppings :shock: so not really wanted to eat one:-D

Donna
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Donna I have today ordered some spaghetti squash seeds :)

Bet they are easier to post than when they grown!!! :)

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Yes love coleslaw but only the best ones!! Tesco finest I love!! Glad I can have coleslaw!!! Thanks Emma.

But not had seeds before, they look a bit like rabbit droppings :shock: so not really wanted to eat one:-D

The pumpkin mix isn't too bad, they also have a nice savoury flavour to them :)

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 06:01 PM
You can always make your own coleslaw ;)

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Bet they are easier to post than when they grown!!! :)

Yes but not so much of a challenge :) :-D

Donna
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
You are enjoying this arn't you Emma!!!

Donna
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Whats your weight stats now Emma?

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 06:03 PM
lol you just wait until they are fully grown....actually it will be quite interesting you should see the size of the courgettes I grow...well they turn into marrows really.....lol watch this space ;)

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 06:04 PM
This morning Donna I am still 9 stone 6lbs but I feel lighter again and I am only having fish and veg for dinner so hopefully tomorrow will be a good weigh in day, also I have had loads of water (well Tescos flavoured water :) )

How about you? any more losses??

Donna
09-03-2006, 06:07 PM
This morning Donna I am still 9 stone 6lbs but I feel lighter again and I am only having fish and veg for dinner so hopefully tomorrow will be a good weigh in day, also I have had loads of water (well Tescos flavoured water :) )

How about you? any more losses??

Not weighed for couple of days so last weigh in was 10st 1lb. But after my curry last night I feel I might be a bit lighter if you get my meaning!! :oops: Been even better today as I had smaller brekkie and chicken salad again for lunch. Not hungry yet so not sure what to do for dinner but will be small amount. Hope it will start the weight loss again.

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Not weighed for couple of days so last weigh in was 10st 1lb. But after my curry last night I feel I might be a bit lighter if you get my meaning!! :oops:

Oh yes I know what you mean :-D

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you, when are you going to weigh yourself again ;)

Donna
09-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Will probably weigh tomorrow morning so will let you know ASAP. Not easy to get on CP at work (not allowed!!).

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes let us know :) If I have lost anything tomorrow I will also post up :) My boss is quite good but I do only try and post at lunchtimes otherwise I make up the time either by having a shorter lunchbreak or working earlier.

Donna
09-03-2006, 06:28 PM
My branch manager is fine. In fact he messes about more than me!!! But all our web activity is logged at Head Office in Colchester so know they watching me!!!

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 06:43 PM
:) A bit like big brother isn't it!!!! lol

Donna
09-03-2006, 07:02 PM
:) A bit like big brother isn't it!!!! lol

Too right. They do that remote thingy where you can be working on your pc and they just come on and do things. They can see what you are doing.

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
lol I would be tempted to have a false powercut!!!! lol whoops accidently touched the power off button....lol

Nah as long as they are sensible with people being online it is no big deal, can't blame them really as working is what they are paying you for.

Donna
09-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Annoys me a bit as I am there 9-3 and never have time to stop for lunch break. Do eat lunch but still at my desk etc. Never stop so I think I am entitled to spend ten mins a day to check my bank, CP etc!!

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I think that is a trouble with a desk job, very hard to get away at lunchtimes, where I work there is nothing to do at lunchtimes and if you want to go out you have to take the car as we are stuck out in the countryside. Very pretty but quite boring, if I want to pop to Tescos it takes 30-40 mins. Mind you there is an excellent farm shop 5 mins drive down the road, and they are in the process of building a cafe :)

EmmaG
10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Today 9 stone 5lbs :) :) :)

Mags
10-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Well done Emma!!:-P

EmmaG
10-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks Mags :) I just know these last 5lbs are going to be soooooo slooooow lol

Mags
10-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Just think how wonderful you are going to feel when you hit your target!:-P

EmmaG
10-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Yes I know Mags, :) I can really see the difference with these last couple of lbs :)

A very good site for anybody wanting low carb recipes, most of these have photos so you can see what they should look like :)

http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/recipes.html

Donna how did you get on??

Mags
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
:( It comes up as 'This page cannot be found' Emma:?

I was looking forward to reading that too!:(

EmmaG
10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
fixed :) Linda Sue is a wonderful woman ;)

Mags
10-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks Emma, I have added that to my favourites....there are some brilliant recipes on there!:-P

EmmaG
10-03-2006, 07:46 PM
No problem, Mags, you are right there are some fantastic recipes on there, all of them perfected by Sue as well :)

EmmaG
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
The dessert section looks very tempting .....lol especially the Tiramisu

http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/food_photos/tiramisu_2.jpg

Donna
10-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Today 9 stone 5lbs :) :) :)

Excellent news Emma !!! :p :lol: :lol:

EmmaG
10-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks Donna :)

I know the scales won't budge for another couple of days, but I am pleased :)

EmmaG
11-03-2006, 09:43 AM
9 stone 4.5lbs!!! :shock: :shock:

Donna
11-03-2006, 10:35 AM
10 stone 0lbs!!!!:-D :-D :-D

EmmaG
11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
lol Now didn't I tell you so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Well done Donna :) sooooo close to 9 stone xx :) :)

Donna
11-03-2006, 10:44 AM
It was because I was SOOOOO good yesterday. Dont think I had any carbs at all!!!

Mags
11-03-2006, 02:35 PM
:smt038 :smt038 :smt038 ...Well done Donna and Emma!!!

Donna
11-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Thank you Mags!!!!. Next goal is 9 1/2 for me!!!

Emma - got a low carb "shake" drink in Tesco today. Thought I would try it. 1.5g carb. Thought it might be handy to have in fridge in case i dont have time or dont want a cooked brekkie - what do you think.

Also found a small carton of creamed coconut - not sure what I am gonna do with it but bought it cos I found it!!!!!

EmmaG
11-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Donna the shake will be fine for when you don't feel like making something, I have tried a few before and they are ok.

Good to see you see you found some creamed coconut, you can do loads of things with it, coconut custards, add it to your chicken korma :)

Donna
11-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Might try coconut custard!!!

And is korma the curry with nuts in? My daughter is allergic to ALL nuts so I have to be careful!

EmmaG
11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Donna the korma past I have here has got coconut in it, best to check the ingrediants.

I think korma is traditionally coconut and coriander

Donna
11-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Here is my second attempt - chicken tikka masala low carb:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/donnamcg/mar10020.jpg
Doesnt look quite as neat as yours Emma, but you can see I have made the onions very dark!!

Just hope it cooks ok and tastes ok. Also got naan bread and poppodums but not having any.

EmmaG
11-03-2006, 06:46 PM
That looks great Donna, have you had a little taste yet??

You could have a small bit of naan bread to go with it, I usually have about 1/4 of a large naan or 1/2 a mini.

Donna
11-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Not tried it yet Emma!!!

And I dont want the bread. Will be good again today. Only had egg, bacon, sausage for brunch. Nothing else.

But having a smirnoff ice as I cook!!! Opps

EmmaG
11-03-2006, 06:53 PM
lol let us know how the meal goes :)

You are far far more disciplined than I am ;)

Donna
13-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Official Monday Weigh-In:

10 stone 0 lbs. (Only lost 1lb this week so trying even harder this week). How are you getting on Emma?

EmmaG
13-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Good that you are still 10 stone Donna,

Well I have shot back up to 9 stone 6lbs today, but I know that is because of the HUGE plate of venison casserole I had yesterday, I bet I will be less tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed!!! lol

Eating nice and clean this week ;)

Donna
13-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Maybe we should keep a daily account of what we have eaten:

So far today I have had bacon,sausage,egg, tomato for breakfast.
Chicken fillet with mayonaisse for lunch.
Ham salad for dinner (Emma made it in her cookery class today!!)

EmmaG
13-03-2006, 06:50 PM
ok I am up for that

breakfast - lemon custards
lunch - egg mayo, coleslaw, on pieces of lettuce
dinner will be chicken breast, 1 slice of bacon, small amount of cheese, with veggies (butternut squash, 1 carrott, cauliflower - all roasting in the oven with a little bit of olive oil)

drinks - 1 glass of water, about 5 cups of white coffee with two sweetners in only 1 cup of the coffee)

Your foods sounds excellent Donna :) let me know how Emma's ham salad was :)

Donna
13-03-2006, 06:53 PM
I have had tea with sweetners in, plus a diet coke today. No water at all cos I bad!!

EmmaG
13-03-2006, 07:04 PM
lol no you are very good Donna, but I have noticed it does seem to speed things up a bit when I drink more water. it is a bit boring though lol

Donna
13-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I must increase water levels. Will take some no sugar squash to work tomorrow to keep on my desk.

EmmaG
13-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Good idea Donna, we always have no sugar squash at work I should fill my water bottle up first thing in the morning (water bottle I sound like a rabbit !! lol)

Donna
13-03-2006, 07:27 PM
I keep buying the water with the sports bottle type of lid, but the kids keep taking them to school and losing/breaking them so my bottle keeps going missing!

EmmaG
13-03-2006, 08:11 PM
lol They are handy those bottles :)

Donna
13-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Not if they keep "disappearing"!!!

Emma has just told me that her friend was helping do the salad and cut her finger and lost a fingernail, so dont think I will be eating that salad after all!!!!

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 05:57 PM
lol !!!

ok food for today

breakfast - lemon custards
lunch - coleslaw and lettuce leaves
dinner - reheated chicken korma with some sour cream

Not feeling hungry at all today. Weight this morning was 9 stone 6 lbs! lol

Donna
14-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I am still 10 stone.

scrambled egg and bacon = breakfast
chocolate low carb shake = lunch
chicken with cheese and coleslaw = dinner

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Those scales are going to move soon Donna!!!! lol

Food sounds good, have you managed to drink more water today? I am going to try and drink more tomorrow :)

Donna
14-03-2006, 07:50 PM
No!!! Couldnt find anything to take a drink into work with, and I am not paying the prices in Rochester High Street for soft drinks!! Touristy area so expensive everything!!!! Will try again tomorrow. Is hard when the weight doesnt move quickly, and am feeling all "heady" as this cold builds - no doubt feel even worse tomorrow!

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 08:11 PM
These colds and flu that are going about at the moment are all very odd, they seem to linger for ages :(

I hope you feel better soon. Perhaps your cold is slowing down your weight loss a bit

Donna
14-03-2006, 08:12 PM
It is VERY slow at the moment. I dont understand it really as I am being good I think.

Maybe there are carbs in things I dont think there is.

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Even if there is Donna I still don't think you are eating that many carbs, unless it is your portion size that is a problem.

I would stick at it but try and drink some more water, even if it is the tap stuff. I know water does help a lot, but if you are coming down with a cold I do believe that your body does try and conserve energy, therefore slowing down any weight loss. In the next couple of days I just know you are going to be down to 9 stone XX!!

Just trying to think of all of the foods that can have more carbs than you realise, milk, tomatoes, onions.

What veg/salad are you eating?? I know some have more carbs than others, for instance I know some people have problems with carrots but I have always eaten them.

Donna
14-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Well portion size - here goes:

this morning - two medium eggs scrambled with dash of cream and bit of butter. Three rashers of bacon.

Cheese was a small piece 4cm x 2cm x 2cm or smaller, also had small chicken breast and couple of tablespoons of coleslaw.

Dont eat carrots.

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 08:57 PM
All sounds fine, I would just up your fluids a bit, when I first low carbed I drank 2 litres of plain water every day, ontop of tea/coffee

Donna
14-03-2006, 09:02 PM
have to give it a go as i am stuck on 10 stone now!!! Will see how I go tomorrow. Will make a real effort.

What can i eat all day that is no carb?

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 09:06 PM
No you should eat some carbs, just make sure the majority of them are from veg.

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Don't forget going down a 1lb is a lot of weight, just go and weigh out some lard to the tune of a 1lb, you haven't got that much to lose really and I am not surprised it is coming off the rate that it is, hopefully it will mean that it stays off.

Donna
14-03-2006, 09:09 PM
But maybe if i eat more no carb foods it will decrease the amount of carbs i am eating so lose weight?

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 09:15 PM
You could trying upping your protein a bit, more plain meat/fish

Donna
14-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Will give that a go then. I know 1lb is not bad. Its half a bag of sugar and they are quite heavy those bags!!!! But it just doesn tlook much on my chart I have on my fridge!!

EmmaG
14-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Donna it is all going in the right direction, you haven't put on any of the weight you have lost. You are doing excellently!!!