PDA

View Full Version : Dieting/Low Carbs

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Donna
16-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Was very yummy Emma!!!

Will be cooking that lots and lots!! Although it was so nice I ate it a bit quick and now have hiccups!!!

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Yes it is nice and easy to do, and tastes really good. I hope you recover from the hiccups!!! lol

Booo!!!!!

Donna
16-02-2006, 07:17 PM
They gone now!!!

So how much have you lost in total in lbs Emma?

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Donna, on the 15th January in the evening I weighed in at 10 stone 4 lbs, yesterday evening I weighed in at 9 stone 8 lbs, so that is a loss of 10lbs, if I take the reading from the morning it is .5lb less, so that would be 9.5lbs :)

Overall I am very happy at the rate I am losing, as long as I see a slow decline it is fine. I really want to get down to 9 stone then it will give me more leeway, say for instance if I want to have a meal out.

Donna
16-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Donna, on the 15th January in the evening I weighed in at 10 stone 4 lbs, yesterday evening I weighed in at 9 stone 8 lbs, so that is a loss of 10lbs, if I take the reading from the morning it is .5lb less, so that would be 9.5lbs :)

Overall I am very happy at the rate I am losing, as long as I see a slow decline it is fine. I really want to get down to 9 stone then it will give me more leeway, say for instance if I want to have a meal out.

Yes - once I get into single figures in stones my target will be 9st. Will see how I feel then if I want to lose any more or not.

What height are you Emma?

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Donna I am about 5'7", when I first started low carbing I decided I wanted to be around 9 stone 7lbs, I got down to 9 stone 8lbs before and I was fairly happy with that, but if my weight crept up a bit and went just over 10 stone I really didn't like the way I started to notice the weight going on, I could really see it in my face :(

So I have reassessed my goal and decided I want to be 9 stone, however if/when I get to 9 stone I am going to do some more exercise including free weights (which I love) so I will no doubt naturally put a bit more weight back on, but I will make sure I keep to the low 9's this time.

Donna
16-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I am a shortie at 5'2 so 9st will probably not be enough. Was 8st before when I dieted after having the two children. But as I get older it is harder to keep the weight off!!!

Will have a 9st goal to start with as it isnt as far away as 8 and reassess it then!!!

What is free weights?

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Before I low carbed I weighed just over 12 stone (that was the photo I sent to you) so if I get to 9 stone I will be very happy indeed, also 9 stone with my height means that my body mass will be about 20 which is the lowest I can go within the healthy category without being classified as underweight, I might even once I get to 9 stone buy some of those fancy scales which tell you your body fat to weight ratio ;)

Donna
16-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Oooh give yourself a treat when you get to 9st. You deserve it if you have lost 3st!!!!

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Free weights are hand held weights which you lift using various different method, think barbells and dumbells. About 8 years ago before I moved I use to go to the gym a lot, 5-6 times a week, I was totally addicted to it, I love the way it made me feel, and I was very toned, I loved lifting weights, and I could even lift up a washing machine by myself ;) and now that we are settled in to our home and I have more free time (drawing aside) I really do want to get some of that fitness back, me and the OH do go out on our bikes at the weekends when the weather is good ;)

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Oooh give yourself a treat when you get to 9st. You deserve it if you have lost 3st!!!!

lol that is the plan, I was thinking of the Chinese buffet!!!! lol but I will still be careful from now on what I eat. I know 3 stone!!! :oops:

Donna
16-02-2006, 07:52 PM
I bet you have a completely different wardrobe now!! 3st must make a HUGE difference!!!

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 07:52 PM
I am a shortie at 5'2 so 9st will probably not be enough. Was 8st before when I dieted after having the two children. But as I get older it is harder to keep the weight off!!!

Will have a 9st goal to start with as it isnt as far away as 8 and reassess it then!!!

What is free weights?

Well I think 9 stone is a nice target to set yourself, once you get under 10 stone it really feels like such an achievement!! and you are so close :-D

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Well when I was 12 stone I was still managing to get into a size 12 clothing, but it was getting VERY tight, now there was no way on earth I was going to buy a size 14. However with my height with clothes on the only place it was very noticeable was my face. A lot of people have said that they cannot believe I was over 12 stone.

Now I can get into a size 10 trousers and size 10 top, the trousers are a bit loose but comfortable, if I want a skirt I usually buy a size 8, my top size will never be any less than a size 10 because I am very broad shouldered.

(sizing is using clothing from Next)

Donna
16-02-2006, 07:59 PM
My work trousers are not on my waist anymore (or where my waist should of been) and are now hanging on my hips!! Problem being my tops are still a bit tight on me so I worry about a gap between my top and my trousers. Constantly pulling my tops down!!!! And my trousers up!!!!!

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 08:05 PM
lol Well that is a good sign, won't be long until you need new trousers by the sounds of it!!! ;)

Donna
17-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Well today I didnt get time to eat breakfast so had chicken and salad and mayo for lunch and just had a cooked brekkie for dinner!!!!

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 07:35 PM
I must admit I rarely cook a breakfast in the morning apart from at the weekend :) but I do prepare some of those custards for breakfast ;) I am addicted to them!!!

I did cook a veggie dish tonight which was rather nice

Well cooked cauliflower, mashed, add some butter and a little bit of cream, mix well, put in a shallow oven proof dish, add some cheese and bacon and put in an oven about 190c for 30 mins until nice and brown on top, then once out of the oven top with either sour cream or creme fraiche

Donna
17-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Sounds nice Emma - another one for me to try!!!!

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes Donna is was very easy, it would also work if you got some frozen cauliflower and popped it in the microwave to cook until ready to be mashed.

How are you feeling today? ok?

Donna
17-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Yes Donna is was very easy, it would also work if you got some frozen cauliflower and popped it in the microwave to cook until ready to be mashed.

How are you feeling today? ok?

Yes feel fine, but did miss breakfast this morning. Definately the best meal to have as I am completely full all day. Today I was starved and ate salad & chicken at about 12 then just had dinner, but still feel bit peckish so may have some cheese later to top me up!!!

Hows about yourself Emma? See you are not going out to eat after all.

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Yes I feel fine, I did actually wake up at 4am this morning, and I thought I had better go back to sleep (which I did :) )

Unfortunately we didn't go out to the restaurant today as the other half had a day off work as he felt unwell, I have changed the appointment to next Friday which will be better. We are off to his sisters tomorrow evening and I am hoping I can eat sensibly there, but I might skip a dessert, not a great dessert eater anyway :) I will use the "Oh I am full, thankyou" comment, it usually works without people fussing ;)

I was pleased when I went on the scales today still at 9 stone 7.5lbs :) I will do an hours exercise tomorrow as well

Donna
17-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I was pleased when I went on the scales today still at 9 stone 7.5lbs :) I will do an hours exercise tomorrow as well

I need to get more active. All well and good losing the weight but I need to tone up my tummy mainly (two kids - blame it on them!!). But the youngest is more or less 12 so need to find some exercise to tighten the tummy up. I am useless at exercise tho.

Tried that DVD I bought but i cant follow the steps, and cant do it in front of anyone. Cant even do it in front of the cats so shut them out!!!! :-P

But have been so much more active.:p

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Do you feel that the low carbing has helped in you feeling more active??

I must admit it is only since January I have decided to do more exercise, sometimes I hate a desk job ;) I do crunches to firm up my tummy, also another great exercise you can do, and I do this everytime I visit the ladies whilst at work is to do just 12 side bends on each side ;) it only takes seconds to do and I think it really does help to firm your tummy as well

Donna
17-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Yes, I think the diet I had before just zapped all my energy. Used to come in from work at 4pm and be falling asleep!! Now I come in and do tidying, shopping, cleaning... etc.

I think once I have lost a bit more weight it will be easier to do some more active stuff!!

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, I think the diet I had before just zapped all my energy. Used to come in from work at 4pm and be falling asleep!! Now I come in and do tidying, shopping, cleaning... etc.

I think once I have lost a bit more weight it will be easier to do some more active stuff!!

Donna it does sound as if you are already doing some exercise with the cleaning and stuff!! ;)

Donna
17-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Will run out of things to clean before long Emma, but it is a big improvement on my previous activities!!! Feel like I WANT to walk places etc!! Tis great especially when the sun is shining and the air is so fresh!!

Donna
17-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Just done an HOUR of ironing!!! Where is all this "get up and go" come from?????????????

Me and ironing just dont happen usually!!!!!!!

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey do you fancy a trip to Essex for a spot of cleaning :-D free low carb dinner included??? :-D

Well I think it is excellent news, I am so glad low carbing is working for you. Has anybody noticed anything different about you??

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Will run out of things to clean before long Emma, but it is a big improvement on my previous activities!!! Feel like I WANT to walk places etc!! Tis great especially when the sun is shining and the air is so fresh!!

Strange you should say that, but after low carbing for a week or so I am sure my "vision" gets clearer, I notice things more easily, see things clearer, I am sure if it is just "me" or not.

Donna
17-02-2006, 10:48 PM
You are not too far from me Emma!! Might take you up on that dinner!!! Just over the bridge and I am in Essex!!

Nobody has noticed anything yet - I work with three guys and they all know I am trying to diet. Two of them dont know me from before I put on weight and the manager does so he knows what I used to look like!!! Hopefully I will get back to that stage. When I wear my suit to work it does hide a lot so dont think it will notice yet.

Think people will notice I am not such a lazy cow anymore!!

Donna
17-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Strange you should say that, but after low carbing for a week or so I am sure my "vision" gets clearer, I notice things more easily, see things clearer, I am sure if it is just "me" or not.

I work on a pc all day and then sit on here talking to all you lot on CP at night, so my eyes get quite tired anyway - optician says they are fine tho - will be pleased if my eyes improve!!

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 10:56 PM
You are not too far from me Emma!! Might take you up on that dinner!!! Just over the bridge and I am in Essex!!

Nobody has noticed anything yet - I work with three guys and they all know I am trying to diet. Two of them dont know me from before I put on weight and the manager does so he knows what I used to look like!!! Hopefully I will get back to that stage. When I wear my suit to work it does hide a lot so dont think it will notice yet.

Think people will notice I am not such a lazy cow anymore!!

Tell you what Donna, sometime in the Summer when the weather is nicer and evenings lighter you will have to pop over on a Saturday or Sunday and we can have a nice BBQ and salad, or I will cook us a nice meal?

Well let me know if you think your eyesight seems better, I am not sure if it actually improves as such it is just that I notice things more?? it is very bizarre, almost like previously I have been walking around in a bit of a fog?

Donna
17-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Tell you what Donna, sometime in the Summer when the weather is nicer and evenings lighter you will have to pop over on a Saturday or Sunday and we can have a nice BBQ and salad, or I will cook us a nice meal?

Well let me know if you think your eyesight seems better, I am not sure if it actually improves as such it is just that I notice things more?? it is very bizarre, almost like previously I have been walking around in a bit of a fog?

Sounds great Emma!!

My son has just asked me if the cats are on the CAtkins diet!!! :-D

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 11:01 PM
lol @ your son!!! lol

Well I will look forward to you popping over in the Summer :)

Donna
17-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Both looking super slim and gorgeous!!! Of course!!!

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Both looking super slim and gorgeous!!! Of course!!!

Absolutely!!!!!! :-D :-D

EmmaG
18-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Donna I just made these lemon curd custards, not sure if you like lemon but they were great and very easy to do. Anybody not on a low carb/low sugar diet could just put sugar in the place of splenda.

Lemon Curd Custards (makes two servings)

Lemon curd

1 egg
1 tablespoon splenda
juice and jest of 1 lemon
25g butter

Pull all ingredients into a bowl and place over a saucepan filled with hot water, place on heat and bring to a simmer, stirring all of the time until they start to thicken, once it starts to thicken remove from heat.

Custard

2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon splenda
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of cream
splash of milk

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and mix well, slowly heat (moderate heat) and continue to stir until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat

To serve divide the lemon curd between two dishes, then put the custard on top. Place in a fridge until cool, once cook you can either top with cream or crème fraiche.

EmmaG
18-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Oh and this morning I was down to 9 stone 7lbs!!! :)

Donna
18-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Donna I just made these lemon curd custards, not sure if you like lemon but they were great and very easy to do. Anybody not on a low carb/low sugar diet could just put sugar in the place of splenda.

Lemon Curd Custards (makes two servings)

Lemon curd

1 egg
1 tablespoon splenda
juice and jest of 1 lemon
25g butter

Pull all ingredients into a bowl and place over a saucepan filled with hot water, place on heat and bring to a simmer, stirring all of the time until they start to thicken, once it starts to thicken remove from heat.

Custard

2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon splenda
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of cream
splash of milk

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and mix well, slowly heat (moderate heat) and continue to stir until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat

To serve divide the lemon curd between two dishes, then put the custard on top. Place in a fridge until cool, once cook you can either top with cream or crème fraiche.

Sounds nice and I do like lemon!! Will give this a go Emma and well done on more weight loss!!

EmmaG
19-02-2006, 12:30 AM
It was very nice Donna, I am going to have the other one tomorrow morning :)

Well I didn't manage a very low carb friendly dinner this evening..OH sister served up spaghetti bolognaise, I said I didn't eat much pasta and they didn't serve me up that much, and luckily I have loads of the bolognaise :) I managed to skip dessert as well, so hopefully not too much damage done. I think I will try for an hour on the bike tomorrow :), managed to do 30 mins today as I didn't get a chance to do any on Friday.

Donna
19-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Well I had a friend pop in last night and I had a few Vodka/Diet Coke so I have been bad too Emma!!

EmmaG
19-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Well that isn't too bad Donna :) Well the scales were up a tiny bit this morning 9 stone 7.5lbs so I am really happy with that, I have a bit of gardening to sort out and clearning up so I will get a bit of exercise in today. Other than that I am going to try and relax this afternoon.

Just had my custard which was really nice, definately going to make some more today, cooked breakfast for lunch and then that lovely venison casserole for dinner :)

What have you got planned for your meals today? anything nice?

Donna
19-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Probably scrambled egg with grated cheese for brekkie. Tuna salad for lunch methinks, and no idea for dinner yet!!!

Have the fish in the freezer I bought the other day so could get a bit of fish out thawing, but not sure what I can do with it!!!

EmmaG
19-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Well you could have a nice and basic plain steamed fish with veggies?? Time to get that cookbook out!!! don't forget you can adapt the recipe if you do not have some of the ingredients

Donna
19-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Well you could have a nice and basic plain steamed fish with veggies?? Time to get that cookbook out!!! don't forget you can adapt the recipe if you do not have some of the ingredients

To be honest Emma, I am a little intimidated by the cookbook, as I have never owned a cooking book in my life!! Will have a little peek today (promise)!!:p

EmmaG
19-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Oh don't be intimidated Donna most recipes for main dishes can be easily adapted, and what is the worse that can happen?? you don't like the meal, it is just a case of try again the next time. :) I am sure you will be fine.

EmmaG
20-02-2006, 06:25 PM
How did you get on Donna this week? Did you still keep off that 2lb??

I am going to try and do an hour on the bike in a min, whilst reading a book of course!!! lol

Donna
20-02-2006, 07:20 PM
How did you get on Donna this week? Did you still keep off that 2lb??

I am going to try and do an hour on the bike in a min, whilst reading a book of course!!! lol

Kept off the 2lb so I have now lost 8lb - am at 10st3lb.

Seem to be doing 2lb each week, but am happy enough with that:)

Just cooked the cod fillet - didnt know how to cook it, but stuck it in saucepan with some cream/butter/splash milk/pepper and cooked for about 20 mins - had it with creamy cheese veggies - was very nice:-D

EmmaG
20-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Well done!!!!! I think 2lbs is a nice steady weight to lose a week. It won't take you long to work out dishes that you like :)

Donna
20-02-2006, 07:49 PM
The fish was ok. Bit boney. But love the cheese veggies!

EmmaG
20-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Donna if you get fillet of fish, you can check for the bones before cooking it, just run your fingers over the fish and if you feel one just pull them out.

EmmaG
22-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Donna, just reporting in :) I am now down to 9 stone 6lbs!!!!! which is quite amazing since I had that pasta at the weekend. I am going to jump on the exercise bike when I get home :) I have now lost 11lbs :) just 6lbs more to go :)

How are you getting on??

Donna
22-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Donna, just reporting in :) I am now down to 9 stone 6lbs!!!!! which is quite amazing since I had that pasta at the weekend. I am going to jump on the exercise bike when I get home :) I have now lost 11lbs :) just 6lbs more to go :)

How are you getting on??

Well done Emma!! You are nearly at your target weight!! :p What will I do then, when you not low carbing!!!! :roll:

I am not weighing myself at all until next Monday so nothing to report as yet. Was 10st3lb Monday. Will see what I lose next Monday.

EmmaG
22-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh I will still watch my carb levels. All I need to do now is get a bit fitter ;)

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Would vegi bacon and sausages be classed as low carb?

Donna
26-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Would vegi bacon and sausages be classed as low carb?

Emma would be the best person to ask BT, as I get all my advice from her, as I havent got a clue what I am doing otherwise!!:shock:

(Not much help this morning am i???):lol: :roll:

Can you eat egg? Very filling.

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi BT you would need to check the carbohydrate content of the food on the label if you can let us know the carb content per 100g or per item I should be able to give you some idea of how low carb it is.

When I first started low carbing I was a vegetarian at the time and it is possible to do low carb using meat substitutes.

I know quorn mince is low carb.

If you have got any questions please ask and I will try an answer them

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi Donna how are you getting on??

I was unfortunately ill last night (not sure why) and I am now down to 9 stone 4.5lbs, so I think tomorrow I will see a slight increase in the scales.

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Cheers for that Emma - I dont have either in at the moment (am making my own sausages this week), but if I do, I will post. Do have Quorn pieces in though, but am too lazy to walk downstairs!! I had always dismissed low carbing with being a vegi, and prob wouldn't do it full time, but might do it occasionally for say a sunday breakfast. I am trying to make meals rather than just pull somethign out of the freeze and put it in the oven!!

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes BT I think the way forward is very much avoiding processed food and more on home cooking, from what I remember about the meat alternatives is that they tend to be very high in protein and therefore low carb.

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Cool (although i had Quorn fillets with peppercorn sauce for tea and veg fingers for dinner - both out of the freezer!!). My main prob is that I have a really sweet tooth, so end up eating loads of sweets.

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Bt if you have a sweet tooth how about trying to have a bit more fruit?? at least it is natural and not processed.

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Cos that is boring!!

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 12:49 PM
lol fair enough

Donna
26-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Donna how are you getting on??

I was unfortunately ill last night (not sure why) and I am now down to 9 stone 4.5lbs, so I think tomorrow I will see a slight increase in the scales.

Hi Emma,

Weigh in day is tomorrow. But have had a few vodkas again this week so not sure of weight loss this week.

To tell you the truth, I am getting a bit bored of dieting now. I dont miss the chocolate/bread/chips or whatever really, but just bored, bored bored of chicken and veg, beef and veg, lamb and veg, cod and veg, blah blah blah!!

Hope you are feeling better now Emma.

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Well I think that is one of the biggest problems with low carbing, I love meat and veg so I don't find it too tedious.

How about having a stir fry..I know it is meat and veg but it is something a bit different.

You could always make a curry but only have a little bit of rice and have a mini naan with it. Perhaps having a few dishes like these during the week would break it up a bit and it wouldn't feel quite so bad.

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 06:01 PM
You could always make a chilli con carni, although not very low in carbs it would still be healthier for you than a processed ready made meal.

Donna
26-02-2006, 06:37 PM
i wouldnt mind doing a curry, would have to be pretty mild tho!! How would I make a low carb curry sauce or can I use the jars of ready made stuff???

Donna
26-02-2006, 06:38 PM
You could always make a chilli con carni, although not very low in carbs it would still be healthier for you than a processed ready made meal.

Again, I have only ever bought jars of sauces - is this an easy recipe??:roll:

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Donna I use Patak's curry paste, rather than a sauce, just add meat, onion, and you can add a tin of coconut milk and some cream, if you buy the korma paste it will be very mild.

With the chilli con carni, I usually buy sainsbury's own brand medium chilli con carni sauce and just add some browned mince, just have this with a couple of spoonfuls of rice.

Basmati rice is one of the lowest white rices you can get low GI as well, I now avoid American easy cook rice as it is a lot higher in carbs than the basmati.

Donna
26-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Will try something different this week I think. Just had lamb steaks with cauliflower cheese.

Got lots of caul. cheese left so will heat that up tomorrow with something.

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 06:37 PM
How did you get on today Donna. I am still recovering from being ill on Saturday but today I feel a bit better, haven't eaten much today just a lemon custard for breakfast, I am doing myself salmon with hollandaise sauce and roasted veg :)

I weighed myself today and I am 9 stone 5.5 lbs :) so a slight increase over yesterday which is fine as I wasn't very well.

I should be able to have a nice low carb week this week, last week I had dinner out on Friday and Saturday. So I am hoping to get down to my goal weight in the next few weeks :)

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Donna I know you like cheese, I thought you might like to have a go at making these almond biscuits, they are delicious with cheese on top, very easy to make and very quick to make, very low carbs

__________________________________________________ __

Almond Thins

1 cup ground almonds
2 teaspoons of splenda
1 egg white
pinch of salt, garlic powder, & onion powder

Preheat oven 190. Mix ingredients well. Place mixture onto a well greased piece of tin foil. Place a piece of cling film over the top of mixture. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a cracker thickness. Gently remove the cling film. Sprinkle more salt on top if desired and press lightly into dough. Score with knife or pizza cutter into squares. Lay tin foil on baking try and place in oven. Bake until golden brown about 10 minutes. Makes around 20 crackers.

Carb count is about 13 for the whole batch. You can also vary the flavour-using, ground bacon bits, season salt...

Donna
27-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Donna I know you like cheese, I thought you might like to have a go at making these almond biscuits, they are delicious with cheese on top, very easy to make and very quick to make, very low carbs

__________________________________________________ __

Almond Thins

1 cup ground almonds
2 teaspoons of splenda
1 egg white
pinch of salt, garlic powder, & onion powder

Preheat oven 190. Mix ingredients well. Place mixture onto a well greased piece of tin foil. Place a piece of cling film over the top of mixture. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a cracker thickness. Gently remove the cling film. Sprinkle more salt on top if desired and press lightly into dough. Score with knife or pizza cutter into squares. Lay tin foil on baking try and place in oven. Bake until golden brown about 10 minutes. Makes around 20 crackers.

Carb count is about 13 for the whole batch. You can also vary the flavour-using, ground bacon bits, season salt...

Thanks Emma, Will try definately. Not got any nuts, but will get some!

Donna
27-02-2006, 07:15 PM
How did you get on today Donna. I am still recovering from being ill on Saturday but today I feel a bit better, haven't eaten much today just a lemon custard for breakfast, I am doing myself salmon with hollandaise sauce and roasted veg :)

I weighed myself today and I am 9 stone 5.5 lbs :) so a slight increase over yesterday which is fine as I wasn't very well.

I should be able to have a nice low carb week this week, last week I had dinner out on Friday and Saturday. So I am hoping to get down to my goal weight in the next few weeks :)

I was hoping you had forgotten today was my weigh in day Emma. Dont know why but I didnt lose any last week. :cry: Not happy about that at all and getting really fed up.:cry:

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Hmm something is not quite right there Donna, perhaps you need to up your food intake a little bit, perhaps by having a few more snacks/smaller more frequent meals. I know you are getting a bit fed up with the meat/veg combination of the foods you are eating. Look on the bright side, you are feeling better, you haven't put on any weight, have you read any of the books I sent you? not the receipe ones but the ones which explain how/why low carbing works?

Don't be fed up, you are doing great!! Especially when you said that your trousers are feeling bigger.

I think you need to add some more variety for your food intake.

Donna
27-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Yes I have read the books Emma. Maybe I will go back and have another read. Maybe there is something I am doing wrong.

I did have a few drinks Fri and Sat night (vodka diet coke) and I did get some chicken from the fried chicken shop one day at work. I didnt eat the skin/coating so thought that would be alright. Maybe not.

I have gone from loads of energy to NONE. I am thinking I might be getting the flu bug that everyone is getting (my son had it a few weeks ago) as I am so tired. Can hardly lift my legs to walk today.

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Well you could be coming down with a bug :( I hope not. The chicken should have been ok if you didn't eat the skin/coating, I wonder if the lack of energy could be related to the low carbing, when I first started low carbing I had a week of feeling awful, no energy at all, I even had problems getting up the stairs at work, then after a couple of days I was fine.

Donna
27-02-2006, 08:27 PM
But I have been full of energy up till now Emma.

Just thinking of things I have been eating. I do buy a bag of plain nuts that I keep in my drawer at work in case I forget lunch or not have time for brekkie. Maybe they are not that good to eat?

Always have the cooked brekkie so that is nothing new. Salads mainly for lunch and dinner with veg and I definately not been cheating. Not had ANY bread, crisps, biscuits, choccies, AT ALL!!! Although been craving a Mars bar for the last few days. Eat sausages a fair bit as they are in my brekkie and also easy to cook a couple extra for lunch or dinner chopped up in a salad or with veg. Not that I do that every day.

Today I had some nuts for brekkie as I got up late! Lunch was lettuce with chicken and bacon in mayo sandwich filler from Tesco, and dinner just had was cauliflower cheese and sausages.

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Well the sausages could be slightly higher in carbs than you think, perhaps if you had a look at the packet and let me know the carb content either per sausage or per 100g, The rest of your foods sounds fine. I don't think the nuts are going to be a problem.

How about what you normally have for a drink during the day??

Donna
27-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Well the sausages could be slightly higher in carbs than you think, perhaps if you had a look at the packet and let me know the carb content either per sausage or per 100g, The rest of your foods sounds fine. I don't think the nuts are going to be a problem.

How about what you normally have for a drink during the day??

I usually have tea with semi skimmed milk and sweetner at work, at home I usually have diet coke or low cal squash or tea. Will check sausages.

Donna
27-02-2006, 08:43 PM
13.7 per 100gm

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Drinks sound fine.

Just as a comparison on the sausages to give you some idea of the difference you can have....

Sainsburys Taste the difference ultimate pork sausage per 100g 1.8g carbs
Sainsburys Butcher choice sausage per 100g 8.8g carbs!!!!

That is some difference between the two sausages and it means that the butchers choice sausage has more filler rather than meat in it. If you are having say 4 sausages a day you could be eating quite a few carbs more than you realise.

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Donna I think you have found out your problem, how many sausages do you think on average you eat.

Those sausages are VERY high in carbs for sausages,

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Where abouts do you buy your sausages from, if you let me know I will see if I can have a look on the website and find a lower carb one. The difference in price between the two Sainsburys one I listed is hardly anything. I think I pay £2.50 for the ultimate sausages (for two packs of 6 sausages) and they are very meaty and filling.

Donna
27-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Maybe i am reading it wrong. They are Richmond fresh sausages. Dont like sausages that taste to meaty (yes I know!!!! daft eh?). Think I had better change my brand!!! Just bought more as well!!!

Usually have two for brekkie and then maybe once or twice a week for dinner too.

Donna
27-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Where abouts do you buy your sausages from, if you let me know I will see if I can have a look on the website and find a lower carb one. The difference in price between the two Sainsburys one I listed is hardly anything. I think I pay £2.50 for the ultimate sausages (for two packs of 6 sausages) and they are very meaty and filling.

I shop at Tescos Emma, but dont like the really meaty sausages so maybe I should just stop eating them.

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Maybe i am reading it wrong. They are Richmond fresh sausages. Dont like sausages that taste to meaty (yes I know!!!! daft eh?). Think I had better change my brand!!! Just bought more as well!!!

Usually have two for brekkie and then maybe once or twice a week for dinner too.

each sausage is usually about 50g so you are having 13g of carbs on your breakfast sausage alone, if you are also having them for dinner (say two again) you are having about 26g carbs in one day just on four sausages, which I would say is far too much.

Hold on, I will go and have a look at some carb counts of sausages, we might be able to find a compromise on finding you one that isn't too meaty. Even changing down to a sausage with about 8g carbs per 100g is going to make a lot of difference.

If your children eat sausages let me have them ;)

I am sure we can find a better sausage for you Donna. be right back :-D

Donna
27-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Emma goes on the hunt to find me a sausage!!!!! :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :-D :-D

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 09:35 PM
lol

Tesco Finest pork and stilton sausage
Tesco Finest Pork & Herb sausages are 1.9g each

I have been told that a lot of Tescos finest sausages are fairly low carb, but you would need to check the label to be 100% sure, I think finding a sausage of say 8g or less per 100g

Donna
27-02-2006, 09:39 PM
As I thought sausages were meat I never thought to check the carb levels. Will let the kids eat the ones I have in the freezer and when I go to Tescos next week I will have a good rummage in the sausages to get better ones! Will look out for the ones you mentioned Emma. Thanks for looking for me. Where do you find the info like that??

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Donna I had a look at the Tescos website, although they did not have the carb levels listed, but I have eaten their sausages before and remembered that they are not too bad.

I also searched "tescos sausages" on the lowcarbfriends.com forums and a lot of people were recommending the finest ones as they are low carb (ish), that place is an amazing resource for info, and although it is US based there are a lot of us UKers on there :)

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I had a thought you could also try kippers for breakfast?? Not sure if you like them or not? with a poached egg on top ;)

Donna
27-02-2006, 09:47 PM
I had a thought you could also try kippers for breakfast?? Not sure if you like them or not? with a poached egg on top ;)

Used to have them when my mum cooked them, but have never had them since!!! Cant remember even how she cooked them. Dont think I could stomach them for breakfast tho - or the smell.

Will just have egg/bacon for brekkie. That will be enough.

EmmaG
27-02-2006, 09:54 PM
I think you usually boil them for a few mins, I quite like them but you are right they do smell!!!! lol

Donna
28-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Not a good day. I have had a blip. :cry:

Brekkie - egg/bacon/grilled tomato.:p
Lunch - Mars bar :roll: :cry: :shock:
Dinner - tuna and salad.:p

I have put today behind me and will be making a major effort until Monday to get the scales moving again. Had a bad day with Sean at school today and got really stressed and the Mars bar kept telling me to eat it cos it would make me feel better about Sean and his school.:roll:

EmmaG
28-02-2006, 06:45 PM
lol Don't worry about it Donna, it happens to all of us, just pick yourself up and onwards and upwards, you WILL lose this weight ;)

Just to make you feel better I had a packet of crisps today :) As I am not fully recovered from being ill on Saturday I took some fish into work today, started to feel sick again, couldn't face the fish, and the only thing in the office that wasn't chocolate (they have a massive box here full of chocolate which they keep topped up) was a bag of ready salted crisps. I will have the fish tomorrow

I am now back to low carbing this evening, meatballs with tomato sauce and roasted veg :)

Donna
28-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Was feeling really bad Emma, but you have cheered me up! Sorry to hear you are still feeling ill. Must be a bug either from what you have eaten, or just a stomach bug. HOpe it goes away soon.

Donna
28-02-2006, 06:50 PM
I am now back to low carbing this evening, meatballs with tomato sauce and roasted veg :)

Do you make this all yourself? Would love to know the recipe and what/how do you do roasted veg? (Yes I know I sound like a complete dunce!!!:roll: )