PDA

View Full Version : Very worried about Teddy

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

alexgirl73
16-11-2006, 11:06 PM
You can buy it over the internet its not a prescription drug.
Dawn.

Sorry Dawn, what I meant was I dont use internet shopping as very few sites accept my debit card.:)

borderdawn
16-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Ill buy it for you if you want it Alex, you can send me a cheque.
dawn.

alexgirl73
16-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Already sorted Dawn, but thank you very much for offering.

Fran
16-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Ill buy it for you if you want it Alex, you can send me a cheque.
dawn.

It's ok Dawn, I have a spare new tube here that I will send Alex..

borderdawn
16-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Great stuff!! Nice one Fran.
dawn.

julie
17-11-2006, 12:01 AM
hi im new here ive just been reading all about your kitty it doesnt sound like anything is going to work for her, are you sure she wasnt the runt of the litter cos if so i wouldnt give it much hope of getting better. my friend had a litter of kittens and the last to be born just didnt do well he never grew to much and ended up with all kinds of illnesses. you cant really blame the vets as they are only doing there best to help if the treatment isnt working then there isnt much chance of complete recovery . sorry to put the dampers on it but you have to think logical. im only speaking from my experience
julie

Sweet
17-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Alex - really hope all gets sorted for you all soon ((((((hugs)))))) x

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Sorry Dawn, what I meant was I dont use internet shopping as very few sites accept my debit card.:)
As a side subject Alex - you could sign up with PayPal; that should improve your ability to 'net-shop.

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 09:59 AM
*sigh* again :(
Trouble is we're all turning into amateur vets here.
I can only repeat that my daughter's cat was within sight of being pts because of constant liquid faecal incontinence. He was just leaking everywhere, all the time, and obviously distressed. Despite samples, endoscopy and biopsies no diagnosis was ever made. Eventually he was put on one of these 'binding' remedies and the improvement was almost instant.
So, being better made him better - from vicious circle to virtuous circle.
I hope the stuff Fran sends will do the trick Alex ..... and I think maybe I would be looking to change vets too, but that's not an easy decision either.
Thinking of you and Teddie x

binza
17-11-2006, 01:08 PM
aww sorry to hear of poor teddie again , the trouble with pdsa the pet as to be well before they will take her on. but you might be able to by pass it, it may of changed from when we put sam on it. hope you can get something sorted for her hugs tracy

Elaine
17-11-2006, 01:31 PM
So sorry that Teddy is still having problems Alex.
If you feel unhappy about your present vets, I would definately chenge. As with everything else in life there are good vets and bad vets. I remember changing vets a few times with Winston, its not easy to find one you are happy with sometimes but it is important that you are happy with your vet for the benefit of your animals.
I phoned around a few vets giving them all the details and asking what they knew about these conditions. The vet I am with now was the most informative and helpfull, I also have to say they were the most supportive with me and Winston. They got all the test results faxed to them from the old vets, but as Winston was blood tested every 3 months and was almost due for another test, they did it and were much more possitive about the results and took the time to talk and explain everything to me.
A new vet might make all the difference Alex.
I wish you and Teddy all the very best and please dont be afraid to ask for help. I would certainly be willing to help if Teddy does need another test. xxx

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Thank you once again for all your support!

DM - can you let me know the cost of that binding agent and I will send you a postal order if you are able to order me some. It wouldn't hurt to try that alongside the promax.

Elaine - I am going to phone around a few vets on monday (when I have the funds to take her in for a consultation), thanks for the advice.

Julie - Teddie wasn't the runt of the litter. Apart from the diarrhea she has no other problems now, the ringworm etc were external easily treated problems which have all cleared. She is capable of doing normal poos as we have seen them, but her main problem seems to be a very sensitive tummy and I remain positive that we will find a food she can tolerate at some point.

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Duh, forgot to update you all!

She had another bad night with the runs, tons of it all over the kitchen floor (worse than the previous morning). She hasn't eaten since 6 pm last night and so it is starting to dry up a bit now. I have given her some of the powder probiotic and I will give her some coley fish tonight. When the promax paste from Fran arrives (((hugs)))), then I will give her that along with the fish for a few days and then try putting her on the pro plan sensitive. If she starts going runny again then I'll put her onto an invalid diet for a few months and see how that goes. She is still quite lively in herself, not depressed like last time. In fact, she's yowling at the kitchen door just now, begging to be let out, poor baby! If she manages to go an hour without doing anything then I'll take her upstairs and wash her again then let her have a roam about.

Fran
17-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Teddie has had another bad night :( Fingers crossed that starving her will at least give her some respite and the Coley will be gentle on her tummy. The paste is on it's way to you as we speak and I have my fingers crossed that it will help settle the diarrhoea once and for all x

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks Fran. It is so upsetting the length of time this has been going on, just when we think we've cracked it , it all goes pear shape again. That's why I'd like to try getting her on the pro plan while I have the paster 'cause then I can stick to the one food rather then the vet puttin her on a prescription diet she can't stay on and then having to introduce a normal food. It's so bloody infuriating (pardon my language)

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Thank you once again for all your support!DM - can you let me know the cost of that binding agent and I will send you a postal order if you are able to order me some.
Sorted.
It's good to think I might be actually helping instead of just sympathising.

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 03:47 PM
I thank God for the day I found this forum and the wonderful people on it. As most of you probably know, I'm a church goer, please note that everyone one of you will be thanked and prayed for this sunday. Bless you all! xxx

julie
17-11-2006, 04:16 PM
why is it that people on here cant be trueful about the fact that if an animal as problem with his stomach and cant hold its own poo that there is something major wrong, as i ive said before it is very unlikely that it will ever get completley better and keep putting it on the paste is not going to completley cure the problem only mask it at least im being honest about the situation none of us are vets so why advise things that are proberly not good and switching vets is not the answer either now they know the history of it, it is best to stay with them as you will only have to start all over again and pay more money out. sorry to be blunt but at least i am honest to say.
julie....

smudgley
17-11-2006, 04:28 PM
hi im new here ive just been reading all about your kitty it doesnt sound like anything is going to work for her, are you sure she wasnt the runt of the litter cos if so i wouldnt give it much hope of getting better. my friend had a litter of kittens and the last to be born just didnt do well he never grew to much and ended up with all kinds of illnesses. you cant really blame the vets as they are only doing there best to help if the treatment isnt working then there isnt much chance of complete recovery . sorry to put the dampers on it but you have to think logical. im only speaking from my experience
julie

I don't mean to be rude, but I found your post quite offensive. If anyone suggested that any of my cats were "the runt of the litter" I would be offended. Noone is blaming the vets for Teddies problems, however sometimes different vets will try different things.

Alex - did your vet test for campylobacter / salmonella / giardia?

Mags
17-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Julie, no-one is trying to cover up the fact that there is something wrong with little Teddie. She deserves to be given a chance and Alex is trying everything in her power to find a satisfactory feeding regime that will do just that.

Everyone on here sympathises with what Alex is going through and we are all behind her, supporting her and wishing this little kitt well.

I'm sure her vet will be the person to tell her if there is something major wrong...

Elaine
17-11-2006, 04:49 PM
why is it that people on here cant be trueful about the fact that if an animal as problem with his stomach and cant hold its own poo that there is something major wrong, as i ive said before it is very unlikely that it will ever get completley better and keep putting it on the paste is not going to completley cure the problem only mask it at least im being honest about the situation none of us are vets so why advise things that are proberly not good and switching vets is not the answer either now they know the history of it, it is best to stay with them as you will only have to start all over again and pay more money out. sorry to be blunt but at least i am honest to say.
julie....

We all know Teddy has a problem, no one more so that Alex which is why another vet might be able to help further. There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing your vet if you are not happy with them. Alex and every one else knows the paste may not be the cure but it may help aleviate some of the stress on Teddies tummy. Alex may not have to pay out loads more money if the old vet can give the test results to the new vet but the new vet may be more experienced in these matters and be able to offer more help and support to Alex and Teddy.
Honesty is one thing Julie but some possitive and constructive help is needed here not negativity.

Fran
17-11-2006, 05:40 PM
julie....

I disagree!! My kitten had a chronic diarrhoea for about 2 months and with the help of the paste, a sensitive diet and the right antibiotic it is now thankfully, cured. My vet said things like Giardia can be difficult to diagnose and indeed treat. So one stool sample alone, in my opinion, is not the basis to say that someone's cat has something major wrong with it :shock: My kitten was certainly not runt of the litter!! I think you ought to be a little more diplomatic in the way you post. I have found some of your comments offensive :(

yola
17-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Whilst we are all 100%behind Alex and are wishing with all our hearts that Teddie pulls through, I do understand what Julie is saying - and it's a subject we've all danced around - what happens if nothing works?

I do think the post could have been a little more senstively put - however as we all know, written words can sometimes appear harsh when no harshness is intended.

I for one will be supporting Alex fully in whatever treatments she decides for her little Teddie. After all - she knows her cat best and will make whatever decisions she has to totally in Teddie's best interest. And anything I can do in terms of sharing knowledge or any other help for that matter, I will do.

Moli
17-11-2006, 06:20 PM
How do you know Teddie will never be completely better Julie???
Alex is doing everything she can for this kitten,she is not about to give up and say, nothing can be done for her....As Fran has pointed out, her kittens had the same problem and is now a normal healthy kitten....
I am sure if Teddie has a major problem the vet would had said so..
I too find your post a bit harsh!

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 07:03 PM
To reply to Julies comments. I have sat many times discussing with my husband and my vet what the options for Teddie are. The vet doesn't think that there is anything major wrong with her, more that the runs she had originally which we think were move stress related never had a chance to settle. when we found a food that settled her and she was doing normal poos, she and the other kitten we have, started to steal each others food. Teddie was on HiLife and Cooper on Whiskas. The whiskas gave her the runs again as it was too rich for her, and for some reason has nrver settled down again since. The common thought is that is is dietary. The reason I am thinking of changing my vet is because of advice on here that giardia can be difficult to detect but my vet hasn't suggested re-testing her for it, and I feel that is a lack of knowledge on his behalf. Up until this point he has been extremely good with Teddie. Also regarding the PTS issue. I am fully aware that this might be the eventual outcome, but Teddie is a member of my family, and I would no sooner give up on her than I would either of my daughters. Other members of the forum have expressed the same thought on a few occasions to me and I have not got a problem with them mentioning it. However! As we have not reached that stage with Teddie and we are still giving her every chance, I feel that you could have perhaps been a little more sensitive in your comments. It is never easy for anyone to face the loss of a pet (look at a few of the posts from very recently where members have lost beloved cats) and to put your point across so bluntly to someone whom you don't know strikes me as quite cold.

Oh and Smudgley, yes she has been tested for all 3 of the things you mentioned. They all came back clear, though I obviously know now that giardia might not always be detected.

EmmaG
17-11-2006, 07:23 PM
julie....

Julie are you a vet????? We are all here (well most of us) to give support to other Catsey members, I am quite confident that we can get to the bottom (sorry Teddie ;) ) of this problem. Teddie has shown that she can produce a normal feces and it could be something so simple that she has got a allergy to something in her food.

And your quote about "pay more money out" what has that got to do with you???? I paid some money to Alex for a visit to the vets, and what I and other members do with their money is nothing to do with you....quite frankly if it costs thousands of £ to help this cat out and members and Alex are willing to pay it, then money isn't and shouldn't be a consideration.

Quite frankly if you cannot be supportive to another member then perhaps Catsey isn't for you, or at least this thread isn't.

julie
17-11-2006, 07:46 PM
oh dear i have some what upset you all, my dears im sorry if you find me effensive but i was brought up on a farm and it gives you a different outlook on animals lives. we had farm cats and had been in simular positions with one of ours. sometimes its best for the animal itself not to suffer any further. it must be suffering having to keep changing its diet all the timeand could obviously be suffering stomach pains,animals cant talk unfortunatley so we dont really know what kind of pain there suffering. and for being a vet no im not and none any of you so what right have any of you to advise .
julie...

EmmaG
17-11-2006, 07:52 PM
oh dear i have some what upset you all, my dears im sorry if you find me effensive but i was brought up on a farm and it gives you a different outlook on animals lives. we had farm cats and had been in simular positions with one of ours. sometimes its best for the animal itself not to suffer any further. it must be suffering having to keep changing its diet all the timeand could obviously be suffering stomach pains,animals cant talk unfortunatley so we dont really know what kind of pain there suffering. and for being a vet no im not and none any of you so what right have any of you to advise .
julie...

Excuse me!!! who said this cat was suffering???? so if a child has an upset tummy you thing then it would be ok for "it not to suffer any more"??? We are talking about a cat with an upset tummy for heaven sake!!

Jesus, give me a break!!!

And who are you to say what we CAN and CANNOT do???

borderdawn
17-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Can anyone smell a Troll??!!

I would think perhaps you have come to the wrong forum Julie, we all love our Cats Julie and are willing to help them in any way we can, we may not always agree but its the one thing that binds ALL the members on here. You have made your point clear, but unless you are a qualified Vet and have seen the history of "Teddie" then YOU cannot tell people their case is hopeless. If this Cat were ill in itself, not wanting to do anything, refusing to eat, being sick all the time, then I am sure things WOULD look different, but that simply isnt the caes, its not black and white and Alex WILL find the cause and the cure for her Cat.
Dawn.

EmmaG
17-11-2006, 07:54 PM

I would think perhaps you have come to the wrong forum Julie, we all love our Cats Julie and are willing to help them in any way we can, we may not always agree but its the one thing that binds ALL the members on here. You have made your point clear, but unless you are a qualified Vet and have seen the history of "Teddie" then YOU cannot tell people their case is hopeless. If this Cat were ill in itself, not wanting to do anything, refusing to eat, being sick all the time, then I am sure things WOULD look different, but that simply isnt the caes, its not black and white and Alex WILL find the cause and the cure for her Cat.
Dawn.

I was just trying to post a comment about dear little Julie being a Troll, she only joined up yesterday evening I noticed and was reading Alex's thread.

EmmaG
17-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Anyway enough of the hijacked thread.

Alex/Fran do you know if a cat can stay on these binders/promax treatment for a long time?? do they hurt the cat at all??? I am just thinking that if Teddie needs these for a few months until she is bigger/stronger do you think it is going to be a problem?? Just curious

Fran
17-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Anyway enough of the hijacked thread.

Alex/Fran do you know if a cat can stay on these binders/promax treatment for a long time?? do they hurt the cat at all??? I am just thinking that if Teddie needs these for a few months until she is bigger/stronger do you think it is going to be a problem?? Just curious

All it says on the tube Emma is administer for 3 days or as instructed by your vet. My vet gave me free reign to give Porsha as many days as she needed or to put her back on it if she started again. In all honesty, I didn't need to give more that 3/4 days of it as it worked more or less straight away and then when she had the relapse the other day with the new antibiotics, I gave her a couple of days worth and she was cleared up again. I will always keep some in my animal medicine cupboard from now though as it seems to work well for Porsha

Az
17-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Julie, I think you need to look at how you post and how you come across. We are a friendly community site, and if you can't articulate your posts so they do not cause offence then I am afraid you are at the wrong site.

Please think about what you say and how you say it before hitting the submit button.

Otherwise reactions like Dawns post below are completley expected, and we may have to think about asking you to leave. Let's hope it doesn't get to that, as we appreciate that sometimes, it takes people a little while to adjust to how we do things here.

Dawn.

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Just to let you know that madam has tucked into a small bowl of steamed cod. I went to buy some coley fish at asda but they had none left, so it cost me £3.18 for a little bit of cod. Her tummy better tolerate it, lol. SHe has been climbing all over me in the kitchen and playing with her stick and feather toy. Much happier having had some food, poor baby.

Fran, what antibiotics did your vet prescribe for Porsha as I'd like to ask my vet about it? x

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 08:56 PM
If (when?) she does well on fish you can actually buy blocks of frozen minced raw white fish for pets. Steam or poach, break it up et voila!
Or get frozen coley or hake or 'white fish fillets'.
I've always got some in the freezer, for poorly pets - and cheaper than £3.18:shock: - precious little princess :)

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 09:01 PM
She is my precious princess DM! I would do anything for that little kit now (does anyone want to buy my firstborn, lol)

EmmaG
17-11-2006, 09:05 PM
She is my precious princess DM! I would do anything for that little kit now (does anyone want to buy my firstborn, lol)

lol only if he/she is fury ;)

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, she does have a lot of hair, but unfortunately it's only on her head, lol. On second thoughts, you'd soon send her back anyway!

Fran
17-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Fran, what antibiotics did your vet prescribe for Porsha as I'd like to ask my vet about it? x

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I have just been eating my crispy aromatic duck whilst watching Pudsey Bear :oops:
The ones that seemed to settle her Giardia infection are called Baytril and she is still on these until next week. Prior to these the vet tried several others including Metronidazole which is supposed to treat Giardia too but these actually made her diarrhoea worse :? she is now on Antirobe as well for the rhinitis. Poor girl is rattling :(
I think it's a trial and error thing really..

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Poor Porsha. At least she is on the mend now, and hopefully these ones will clear up the rhinitis quickly.

Kazz
17-11-2006, 09:53 PM
julie...

Have you a crystal ball by any chance who said Teddie is suffering?
You have said that we are not vets and therefore shouldn't give our opinions if thats the case why should your opinion be any different; unless you are a qualified vet and have access to Teddies case history and Teddie then may I ask how you know the case is hopeless?????

On here we support one another though good times and bad as well as the bits inbetween - if you are willing to do that then welcome if not then maybe you should find somewhere else.
We are in essence a family - we may have different points of view on many and varied subjects, yet in the love and care of our cats we are truely united. If you stay around you'll see what I mean.

Karen

Fran
18-11-2006, 11:24 AM
How is Teddie today Alex? Was she ok after eating the white fish?

alexgirl73
18-11-2006, 02:22 PM
She is doing quite well this morning (I got woken by her yowls at 6.45 this morning, demanding to be fed). Very lively today. Hadn't done anything on the floor this morning and hasn't been to the litter tray yet either. She LOVES the fish though, lol. The paste arrived this morning too Fran (((hugs))), so that was straight down her neck, luckily she loves that too. So we will have to see how she goes for the rest of the day.

Fran
18-11-2006, 02:24 PM
All sounds quite promising!! Fingers crossed here x

Mags
18-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Pleased to hear things are a bit "quieter" today, Alex.......;)

dinahsmum
18-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Sounds good!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_6_16.gif

alexgirl73
18-11-2006, 02:59 PM
forgot to say Fran. loved the little card you put in with the paste, such a cute kittie.

Fran
18-11-2006, 03:04 PM
forgot to say Fran. loved the little card you put in with the paste, such a cute kittie.

I'm glad you have got it Alex. Hopefully, the paste will help settle Teddie's tum x

sammy
18-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Crikey, I've just spent the last hour reading through this thread from start to finish! Now as you've all been so supportive to me through my very recent trauma, I might be able offer a little hope here.

I had a kitten years ago who was indeed 'the runt of the litter', which is why no one else wanted her of course! She too had constant diarrheoa, and many different treatments were tried. I know exactly what you mean about it running down her legs and all over you/the furniture! I went through 3 vets trying to get her better - and get a firm diagnosis (which I never got), and was getting to the stage where I really thought I'd have to sadly let her go.

Eventually, as a last resort, the vet suggested the invalid diet (which we had tried before of course), but this time keep her on it and nothing else for a long time. This we did - the frozen minced fish and boiled chicken - and slowly, slowly she got better and stronger. It did take 3-4 months I'm afraid, but by the time she was 7 months old, we gradually introduced a more normal diet, and she was fine from thereon in.

She lived a long and happy life with us with no further problems, until she died at 17, an age we never thought she'd see when we first got her.

So don't give up Alex. At the end of the day you know whether she is suffering or not, and I sometimes think these things are much more distressing for us than the cat themselves.

Hope this helps a bit, and good luck to you and Teddy (I had a female Teddy too!).

Sammy.x

Mags
18-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Sammy, thank you so much for posting this, I'm sure it will give Alex a lot of encouragement in continuing her battle with Teddie's tum.

It will also give her a boost to read of someone else who has gone through the same problem.....and come out the other side problem free :)

Thanks again!

dinahsmum
18-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Sammy! It's so good to hear you say this. It was my theory (but only a theory) way back in post 172/174/176(!:shock: !), so I'm really, really, pleased for Alex that you can confirm that it has worked for you, in post 250!
What a lot of guardian angels little Teddie has:)

sammy
18-11-2006, 06:37 PM
No problem. After all the kindness you've all shown me this last terrible week, the least I can do is try and give some help back!

Sweet
18-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Catching back up, fell asleep very early last night - shattered!

Really glad to read Teddie took to the fish well, hope its on the up now....((((((hugs))))) x

Moli
18-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Sandy you are a god send! Hopfully now Alex can get Teddie on the right track.....and the little girl can start to recover...

Donna
18-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Been catching up on this thread from the last couple of days - hopes building, then crashing, then up a bit then, down more then up again!

Hoping the steamed cod is working. This is what I always use - I buy the cheaper frozen blocks for my cats that are a lot cheaper than the fresh. Cook in microwave in a few minutes and voila!!

I thought right from the beginning that a basic boiled fish/chicken diet is the way forward and any other herbal or vetinary assistance as needed for vitamins etc.

Hoping Teddie is tucking into a nice bowl of steamed cod as I type for her dinner x

Fran
18-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Sammy thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm sure Alex is going to take big comfort and hope for Teddie from your post x

Booktigger
18-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Fingers crossed the diet and paste works to help her get over whatever this is.

Kazz
18-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Seems very very promising hope all is still staying down so to speak.

alexgirl73
18-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Happy, happy me after reading sammys post! Thank you so much for that sammy, it is so encouraging to read that someone else has gone through this and that they and their cat came through it. Can I ask whether you gave your cat any supplements along with the fish and chicken as I've been told they don't have enough nutritional value on their own. Donna, I can confirm that Teddie was indeed enjoying a lovely bowl of cod as you were typing (I checked the time of your post, lol). She went to the litter tray about 20 mins ago and did a tiny litle poo, but it wasn't liquid which was the main thing. It had some shape to it and was much darker in colour than the pale mustard we had been getting. If she continues in this vein then I shall scrap my idea of trying her on the proplan next week and leave her on the invalid diet for a few months. Please don't think me being over sentimental when I say that all of you on here mean the absolute world to me now, as there is no way I could have got this far without the backing and support and kindness of you all. ((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

borderdawn
18-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Sounds good again Alex, Sammy thanks for your story, it will help Alex no end.
Dawn.

sammy
18-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Aww Alex, you're very welcome! The more of the thread I read the more familiar it sounded. Do you know, I don't think we gave her supplements as such, but I have a vague recollection of giving her Sherleys Lactol (milk powder) to drink occasionally to boost her strength. Probably seen as quite an old fashioned product these
days, but might be worth a go. Wouldn't go overboard with it though as might be a bit rich. It was quite a few years ago, and the old memory's not what it was!

However, I can remember the absolute despair I felt sometimes when the diarrhoea kept coming back. You really do have my sympathy. I sincerely hope Teddie continues to improve.

It's making me feel a bit better about my sad loss to be able to hopefully help someone else!

alexgirl73
18-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks Sammy. I have really despaired over these last weeks with Teddie. As you know, it is heartbreaking to see them trying to get to a litter tray and not being able to make it in time. And many times I have considered whether it would be kinder to let her go, but apart from that one time a few weeks back when she was very down, she has always been quite alert and inquisitive. And today she has been much more like the kitten she is. I think DM mentioned giving her the supplements (probably the modern version of the milk powder , lol) so I think it probably won't hurt just to be on the safe side as she is definintely smaller than she should be at this age.

I hope you are managing to keep positive at the moment and remember the wonderful times you had with your cat. I'm sure there were many wonderful moments with her. Please feel free to share some of those with us on here (((hugs)))

sammy
18-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Alex, the cat in question, Beryl (yes, I know!), was also small, and continued to be so throughout her life, but it didn't stop her having a full and happy life. As you say, the supplements probably wouldn't hurt. Maybe we gave her the Lactol because it was easier than giving her tablets - we found out how averse she was to that late in her life when she had an overactive thryroid!

I'm a bit up and down at the moment, just have to keep reminding myself that she had a very happy, albeit short, time with us. She was a real bundle of fun and loved being with my other cats - she'd have hated being an only cat, even though that's what the RSPCA thought when we adopted her. I'll probably post more about her when I feel I can do it without flooding my laptop with tears!

Take care Alex, and good on you for persevering with Teddie. I reckon you'll get there in the end. Like I said earlier, it's probably more distressing to you than her - I certainly thought that with Beryl. If I (or any of the vets I saw!) really thought she was desperately unhappy, we would have let her go.

Sammy.x

alexgirl73
19-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Teddie had rather a bad night again. I went in to the kitchen this mornnig to find the floor covered again. HOWEVER, there may be a reason for it. OH confessed to me when I told him, that Teddie managed to 'escape' from the kitchen last night when he had gone in to make a coffee. he hadn't noticed and came out to find Teddie sitting besides Broxi and Coopers bowls licking her lips!!!!! Needless to say, OH has sore ears from the rollicking I gave him and Teddie is on strict quarantine!

Booktigger
19-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Grr to your OH for not telling you!! Fingers crossed that is the only reason

Mags
19-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Oh dear, let's hope it was just due to her little night feast!;)

I hope OH has learnt from the rollicking Alex!! :lol:

dinahsmum
19-11-2006, 11:25 AM
:(
Hope this is a one-off. Naughty OH :roll:

Fran
19-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Oh I hope it's just a temporary setback due to her 'feast' Fingers crossed things get back on track...

alexgirl73
19-11-2006, 02:59 PM
She has used the litter tray a few times since this morning and while it is still runny, she is at least managing to get to the tray now. It amazes me how lively she has remained through all of this.

Question - do you think it would be worthwhile talking to me vet tomorrow and see if he will treat her for giardia as a precaution? I don't know whether it would make her worse or not, and just with so many people saying that it is difficult to detect, I'm wondering if it's worth a go!

dinahsmum
19-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Don't know on that one
Might be worth just seeing how the fish diet goes for a couple of weeks at least, and get some weight on her.
But it might be worth getting professional help again
Your call.
I think I might leave it (but be exceptionally careful about hygiene - not that you wouldn't anyway)

alexgirl73
19-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I hav gone through so much anti bacterial wipes/spray/bleach etc over the last few weeks it is unbelievable DM! lol. As she isn't showing any other sign of illness, I think you're right, I'll stick with the fish diet for the next few weeks and see how she goes. It's just a nightmare trying to stop her eating other food. If you let her out of the kitchen she's like a little hoover, nose to the floor to see what crumbs she can pick up. My carpet is in danger of becoming threadbare through toomuch hoovering!

dinahsmum
19-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Poor thing - but surely a good sign that she still has a healthy appetite!

alexgirl73
19-11-2006, 03:37 PM
The appetite has never been in question DM! Only once has she not wanted to eat and she made up for that at the next meal lol! You should hear her eat! If you've ever watched the kids cartoon Taz and heard the spluttering spitting noise he makes........that's Teddie!

Booktigger
19-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Aww, bless her. I personally would speak to the vet, but just a phone call to see what they think.

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 11:22 AM
She hasn't done a thing since yesterday, runny or otherwise, I don't think she's getting full enough from the fish. I spoke to my vet this morning as I'm concerned because Broxis stools have been loose for the last week now, and he was sick last night too, and after looking up girdia on the web I just thought I'd check with him. The decision has been taken to treat all 3 cats with metronidazole for 3 weeks as a blanket treatment in case it is giardia, and tbh I think there's a good chance it is. He has warned me that it could make the diarhhea worse in Teddie and give Broxi and Cooper the runs too. He wanted me to have promax paste for all 3!!!! And at £14.98 a tube and would need at least 4 tubes, that went out the window pretty quickly, so will have protectin (sp) powder instead to go with it. Have to take them all in tomorrow to be weighted as to be given the correct dosage of antibiotics, so will keep you posted on how it's going (oh and they will ALL have to be on the invalid diet for the next few weeks, was this the same case for you Fran)

Fran
20-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Alex, just to warn you that Metronidazole is the drug of choice for Giardia but it made Porsha's diarrhoea 10 times worse :? and she only had 10 days of it. So my vet decided to switch her to Baytril - a 3 week course which has sorted her out. The invalid diet wasn't suggested for Porsha as in the very early days when we gave her this diet it made absolutely no difference at all. She was on Royal Canin kitten and Roya Canin sensitive pouches and the vet and I decided we would keep her on these as swapping foods all the time wasn't giving us a true picture of what medicines would work and which ones wouldn't. Changing diets and meds, there were just too many variables all at once. Good luck with this. Porsha had her Metronidazole in liquid form as I think she was too small for the tablets and I'll warn you that it isn't very palatable!!

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 03:13 PM
I wish to God,I knew what to do for the best Fran. Should I wait a while before giving them the metronidazole and see if Teddie improves herself first (and what about Broxis runs?) or try this and end up with all 3 cats having serious diarrhea? The thing is that they are all happy and well in themselves and I'm worried about giving them unnecessary treatment as we don't know for sure that it is giardia, and making them all ill.

Sweet
20-11-2006, 03:24 PM
((((((hugs)))))) x

Fran
20-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I wish to God,I knew what to do for the best Fran. Should I wait a while before giving them the metronidazole and see if Teddie improves herself first (and what about Broxis runs?) or try this and end up with all 3 cats having serious diarrhea? The thing is that they are all happy and well in themselves and I'm worried about giving them unnecessary treatment as we don't know for sure that it is giardia, and making them all ill.

It's a tough call isn't it Alex? Have all the cats had a 3 day course of Panacur? It's not licensed for Giardia in cats but it is in dogs but this was the first thing my vet decided to try with Porsha. And all my cats and dogs were given 3 days of Panacur when Porsha was diagnosed as a precaution and touch wood no-body else here developed diarrhoea.
At the end of the day, you have to follow your gut instinct and your vet's advice. It is certainly strange that Bronxi has the runs now too but it doesn't necessarily mean that they both have a Giardia infection. I'm not sure what to advise you Alex. Could you seek a second opinion from a different vet?

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 06:35 PM
I went in to a nother vet today but they said they couldn't advise me unles I took Teddie into them and had her records transfered from the other vets! None of them have had panacur, the wormer they have had is milbemax, and the vet hasn't mentioned panacur. The worst of it is Teddie has done a poo today which is the closest thing to normal she's done since we've had her, and Cooper isn't runny and I would have thought he would be the one to contract giardia rather than Broxi! Oh, I don't know what to do!!!

Kazz
20-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I can't tell you what to do but I could say if I were in your situation I think I would not treat Cooperr Broxi (as all cats often get the runs) the point is you are so stressed and concerned you go into "worry" mode straight off which is more than understandable.
Why not leave Teddie on the fish diet and carry on as you are at the moment - swopping and changing as you say and treatingthe other two and Teddie for an illness that is not confirmed, why not ask your vet do you have to start the treatment straight away or can you wait til the results come back confirming or denying Gardia? Then go from there but I would think if Teddie isgetting on better as she is she would be stronger after a little "building up"

But I agree with you it is so confusing.

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 08:12 PM
She's done another poo, which was rather runny this time!! I'm beginning to think this kit is doing it to me deliberately and is enjoying seeing me suffer. I've decided to go in to the vets tomorrow and get them all weighed and tell him about Frans experience with Porsha, and ask whether he thinks trying Panacur or Baytril would be a better idea as I'm not keen on the side effects I've heard about with metronidazole, but will go with whatever he suggests.

smudgley
20-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Alex ~ Just to clarify (I'm sure you already know) but panacur is for endoparasite control to treat worms (& other things like giardia) & baytril is an antibiotic.

Fran
20-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Alex ~ Just to clarify (I'm sure you already know) but panacur is for endoparasite control to treat worms (& other things like giardia) & baytril is an antibiotic.

Smudgley is quite correct. Metronidazole is also an antibiotic...

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 11:52 PM
So what would be the best thing for them to have? the panacur or the antibiotic?

Moli
21-11-2006, 12:03 AM
How old is Teddie now Alex??

alexgirl73
21-11-2006, 12:06 AM
She's 18 weeks now Moli.

smudgley
21-11-2006, 12:09 AM
So what would be the best thing for them to have? the panacur or the antibiotic?

The vet needs to decide that really.
But if all the faeces samples have come back negative & the pro-biotic isn't working, then somethings not right.:( Maybe poor Teddie-girl needs to go onto a course of antibiotics to try & sort her out.
Panacur will treat any internal parasites including giardia but panacur can sometimes cause diarrhoea so you are back to square one. :?
I'm sorry I can't be of any more help. Wish I could. Give that cute little Teddie-girl a kiss from me anyway.:)

alexgirl73
21-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Teddie duly kissed (as she's sitting on my knees as usual), I think it's probably best to put them all on the antibiotics then, as it will clear anything that is causing a problem, and whats the worst that could happen (except for cleaning up 3 lots of diarrhea for the next 3 weeks).

dinahsmum
21-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Good luck with whatever regime you decide Alex. And more cuddles for your babies!

Samz5
21-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I haven't really got any good advise, but wanted to wish you and Teddie luck - it must be so stressful for you both. Tango has been having Metronidazole (as well as other antibiotics) the last week in pill form and he hates it, I found that particular antibiotic the hardest to get into him, hope you have more luck with Teddie.

alexgirl73
21-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Been to the vets and they are now on the medication. I'm gettin greally P'd off with this vet, when I saw him yesterday, he said it wouldn't cost much for the metronidazole and it ended up costing me £40 (along with the probiotic powder), now either he's ripping me off or his version of not costing much is different from mine. I was given the liquid form as he said it was the 'cheaper' option (in who's book?) She's been quite runny again today, so hopefully this was the correct step to take. Oh DM, the granules turned up today, so thank you!

borderdawn
21-11-2006, 06:53 PM
£40, wish thats what I was charged when I go to the vets! One consultaion and 7 tablets cost me £40 the other day!
Dawn.

alexgirl73
22-11-2006, 09:09 PM
They have all started their antibiotics this morning, they definitely don't like the lovely banana flavour, lol. Teddie had been liquid all last night again, so I think I have done the right thing giving this a try. It can't hurt to try it anyway! Little hoover mouth is going round my feet at the moment trying to pick up the crumbs from my sandwich I have just eaten. Because she has been on the white fish and is now on the giardia treatment and so will probably have the runs anyway, do you think I should put her onto normal cat food ie pro plan or something else to try and beef her up a bit (when she got weighed yesterday, she hasn't put even an ounce on in the last 3 weeks)

Booktigger
23-11-2006, 08:42 AM
i dont know to be honest Alex, maybe a call to the vet on that one?

alexgirl73
23-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Will do BT, as I have asked a few of my friends and no-one is any wiser than me!

charliebubs
23-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh dear Alex..........sounds like you're still not having much luck with your lot. :(
Fingers crossed that they get better soon.
Don't even get me started on vets bills!!!!! lol. Abi's recent trips to the vets have cost me the best part of £450.00 and it's not covered by her insurance because it was pregnancy/birth related. Hmmmmppppphhhh!!!!!!!!! :(
Would have paid double that if it had made her better any quicker though!!!! Thank goodness for credit cards!!! lol
xx

dinahsmum
23-11-2006, 04:42 PM
They have all started their antibiotics this morning, they definitely don't like the lovely banana flavour, lol. Teddie had been liquid all last night again, so I think I have done the right thing giving this a try. It can't hurt to try it anyway! Little hoover mouth is going round my feet at the moment trying to pick up the crumbs from my sandwich I have just eaten. Because she has been on the white fish and is now on the giardia treatment and so will probably have the runs anyway, do you think I should put her onto normal cat food ie pro plan or something else to try and beef her up a bit (when she got weighed yesterday, she hasn't put even an ounce on in the last 3 weeks)
Only my feeling, with no science to back it up etc, but I think if it was me I would not change again until I'd completed the course of medication. a/b's are notorious for causing the runs - I always put mine on 'invalid diet' as soon as they start a course.

alexgirl73
23-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I didn't manage to phone my vets today, haven't stopped all day. She is remaining on the fish for the moment (although she has just eaten a pea that one of the girls dropped off their dinner plate) I swear she could find the tiniest crumb on the floor! She hasn't done any poo's today at all, so have no idea if the antibiotics are helping or not, mind you, she hasn't had any diarrhea (touching wood) either, so it must be doing something. Broxis was a lot healthier looking this morning though!

Elaine
23-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Keeping everything crossed xxx