PDA

View Full Version : Very worried about Teddy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

alexgirl73
28-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Sorry for posting yet another Teddy thread guys. I am very worried about him tonight as he has been on the litter tray at least 20 times today. The RC sensitivity hasn't helped one bit and I actually feel it may have made him worse. He hasn't stopped dribbling out his backend all day, and I have now resorted to shutting him in the kitchen (lino floor) as he was leaving marks everywhere and on everyone. It has absolutely no solidity to it at all any more and is pure liquid coming out. I am going to starve him tomorrow to try and give his little stomach a break but dont know what else to do. I have accepted Emmas offer to pay for the fecal sample but that will be monday at the earliest and even then we will have to wait for the results. TBH I am beginning to wonder if Teddy is going to make it. I just have a really anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach and am so worried. I have been told not to give him anything but the RC, ie no slippery elm bark powder or natural yoghurt, so I dont know what else to do for him.

dinahsmum
28-10-2006, 10:03 PM
*sigh*
I really haven't anything else to say Alex, except I hope you can get to the bottom of this and get poor Teddy sorted out.
Make sure he has access to water whilst you are restricting food; he will need to keep hydrated.
Poor Teddy, poor you (((hugs)))

yola
28-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Alex - please try not to despair; which is difficult when all you do is mop up cat poo all day. It just came to me that my neighbours have had a rescue Birman for nearly a year now, and this cat has had pretty well constant diarroeha (sp) ever since he's been with them - I know, he's pooed every time we've looked after him . . . and how!!

I hope Teddy will be Ok - main thing is to make sure he's hydrated (but you know that I'm sure) . . . as long as he's growing he is recieving the nutrients from his food and the runny bum is an annoyance rather than a threat to his health.

I'm so pleased you've accepted Emma's offer, and I hope that it starts to resolve Teddy's problem - and bless you for you continuing to support the lovely little chap.

alexgirl73
28-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys. The support that I get from everyone on here is what keeps me going some days. (especially ones like this). I just feel that he is getting worse with this and am beginning to wonder if it will ever end. To see the look on his little face when he has no control over his bottom is heartwrenching, and he wants cuddled but you cant 'cause you have to go and clean his backside!

Sweet
28-10-2006, 10:42 PM
I feel for you ((((((hugs)))))) hopefully the test will sort this out x

Elaine
28-10-2006, 11:42 PM
So sorry Alex, it must be very distressing for you to watch poot Teddy like this all the time. Hopefully the fecal test will help give you a better picture of whats really going on here and a solution can be found to help him and ease your concerns.

Elaine
29-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Just a thought Alex but did your vet ever give you any probiotic paste or capsules to give to Teddy to help settle his tummy?
Obviously the sample is paramount now and you need to find out whats going on but it may be worth asking the vet about all the same.
Fingers crossed all gets better for Teddy.

EmmaG
29-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear about this Alex, How is Teddy in himself does he appear alert?

Emm
29-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I hope the test helps to give some answers (((hugs))) to you and Teddy

Mags
29-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear there is no improvement in Teddy, it is so worrying for you and you must be at your wit's end :(

I'm pleased you have accepted Emma's very kind offer, hopefully this test will be able to give some answers to what is causing this problem....

Cuddles to Teddy and (((hugs))) to you, Alex... x

Booktigger
29-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I do hope a fecal sample shows what is going on. I despaired of the RC food with Pebbles recent bout of diarrhea, it took a good 3 or 4 days before it showed any sign of improvement on it, and to be honest, I was nearly ready for giving up on it.

alexgirl73
29-10-2006, 01:43 PM
The vet has neve given me anything for Teddys tummy. All the treatment he has had so far has been for his other problems. He has been on the RC food for 4 days now but I starved him last night and this morning, but when I gave him a few pieces earlier he wouldnt touch them. When I came down to the kitchen this morning there was poo everywhere, in and out of the litter tray. There was no substance to it at all, just completely liquid like it has been for the last few days. It was all over Teddy so I had to bath him which obviously is the last thing he needs just now. I haven't seen him touch any water so I gave him a syringe full earlier too. Do you think I should continue to do this and if so, how often and how much? He is not very lively at all today, and as I say hasn't eaten or drunk (that I've seen) and usually Teddy wolfs down food like he's never getting another meal. Doesn't really want to be held either. Has tried to play a little with his 'stick'. (a garden cane with a bit of insulating tape on the end. My OH had taken it off the tomato plant a few weeks ago, and Teddy decided he loved to play with it), but it was a half hearted effort. Please keep Teddy in your thoughts and prayers just now, because I think he's going to need all the help he can get.

dinahsmum
29-10-2006, 01:49 PM
:(
(((hugs))) .......... I thought of you lots last night and will continue to do so (and yes, keep giving him water. maybe make up a rehydration solution (adding a little sugar and salt .... google it, I'm sure you'll find the 'recipe'; I used it when Dinah was extraorinarily sick a while ago and couldn't keep anything down))
I feel so sad for you and so angry at the person who passed you all these problems.

alexgirl73
29-10-2006, 02:34 PM
I've got the recipe now thanks DM. OH felt so sad for him that he gave him a little bit of cat meat and he scoffed it down, so he obvoiusly wants nothing more to do with the RC sensitivity. Do you think he knows that he has been worse on this himself?

Mags
29-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Alex, sorry to hear Teddy isn't too good today...it sounds like the poor little chap really does need a serious helping hand from the vet now :( You've tried your very best with him, done everything you've been told....now the vet must look into this deeper and really find out what is causing all this distress to you both.

Am thinking of you both and praying a solution can be found ((((hugs)))) x

EmmaG
29-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Alex not sure of this site can be of any use?

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cdiarrhea.html

Booktigger
29-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Fingers crossed for him - can't help with amounts am afraid, have never been able to get an answer about that from the vets, just 'a reasonable amount'!! I would keep checking the back of his neck for dehydration to make sure he has enough fluids. Is there anyway you could just give him boiled chicken?

Elaine
29-10-2006, 06:48 PM
I really feel for you both and am thinking about you both loads, have everything crossed here. xxx

alexgirl73
29-10-2006, 07:22 PM
I've just had a look at that thanks Emma. Its quite good but it really says that we need to have a fecal sample analysed:roll: . Hopefully tomorrow! I have managed to get him to eat a little RC, but only when I mixed a very small amount of cat meat on it. Not supposed to but if its the only way to get him to eat it, that's what I have to do. Have given him a lot of dehydration solution abd that seems to be helping. He is more alert this evening adn wants to be petted now, which is a lot better than this morning. Feeling a little better about him tonight, so hopefully he'll have perked up a lot more by the morning.

Kazz
29-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I am sorry for you to be so poorly and so young. Hope he continues to perk up.

Will be thinking of you. So when you hear "bumps" on the roof it'll just be all the "best wishes" winging their way to you.

Moli
29-10-2006, 09:34 PM
So sorry to hear Teddy is not good, hope the sample will show something, thoughts and Hugs with you and Teddy....

Kim
29-10-2006, 09:48 PM
So sorry to hear that he is not so good. I would definitely keep syringing small amounts of water into him. Check his gums and if they are extremely pale it probably means he is dehydrated. I hope the faecal sample shows the problem. Everything crossed for you both.

yola
30-10-2006, 09:59 AM
How was Teddy overnight, Alex? Hope all's OK . . .

Mags
30-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Has he been to the vet yet Alex? Hope he is ok......

Moli
30-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Any news on Teddy??

dinahsmum
30-10-2006, 07:46 PM
hate waiting like this - always fear the worst.
Thinking of you Alex ....

EmmaG
30-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Hope everything is ok Alex, did you receive the cheque?

alexgirl73
30-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Evening everyone. Teddy seems to be doing better today. A lot livelier and eating. He has been having the runs again tonight though and I am sure that his stomach doesn't like the RC food, but the vet says to keep him on it, so I don't know what to do. I received the cheque this morning (thank you Emma) and so the fecal sample has gone in. The vets says if I haven't heard from him by friday, to give him a call. He says that if Teddy gets the runs as badly as he did the other night, starve him for 24 hours and use a RC rehydration sachet that he gave me for free (isn't that soooo nice of him? hear the sarcasm folks). So to sum up, definately better today, but showing signs of bad runs again and no diagnosis at least until friday. Just going to have to keep a very close eye on him. The vet also reckons OH's gastroenteritis comes from Teddy, as thinks Teddy is suffering from gardia (? spelling) or salmonella.

dinahsmum
30-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Giardia, I think it is.

Let's hope this is the start of Teddy's recovery then.
I'm a little suprised the vet didn't give you any treatment but I suppose he would say it's best to find exactly what the problem is and then give the best antibiotic for that infection?

Have you told us the exact story of how you came by Teddy? I remember you got him very young, and very ill with ringworm etc. Was it a sort of 'rescue' by you, or were you sold him as a healthy kitten? Either way,I think his breeder should examine their conscience.

....... well, Catsey good wishes have hopefully helped again. Expect you'd like some more? OK

alexgirl73
30-10-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure if I ever told the full story of how I came to have Teddy. When I was looking for another cat to join Broxi, I wanted a 'fluffy' one. So I was speaking to a friend of mine who works in a pet shop, who also breeds persians. She offered me one of her older persians but I wanted a kitten, so I found Cooper through a for sale ad. When I took him to my friend for her to check it was a boy, she told me that if I was going to settle for a short hair she would have given me one of her exotic kittens. When she showed me a pic of one of hers I just fell in love and had to have one. She came back to me and told me she didn't have any boys left in her litter but one of her friends who is also a breeder had a few and as a favour to my friend I could have one for free. Well, of course I jumped at this. So I got Teddy a week later (as her friend had to travel to Telford) adn when I got him home the first night he was really smelly from his back end. When I phoned my friend to tell her, we both agreed that it could be down to the stress of having been travelling and a new environment. Come the monday when he wasn't any better I made an appointment for him at the vet and that's when we discovered all his problems. My hubby and I discussed returning him but to be honest we couldn't as we had fallen in love with him and wondered what we would be sending him back to. Having spoken to my friend on numerous occasions since, she is very upset at all that has transpired, but says her friend is too and had no idea that the kitten had all these problems. That I take with a large pinch of salt, but I dont hold my friend responsible as she was only passing him over to me and did so in good faith. That is the story of Tedy so far!

dinahsmum
30-10-2006, 09:28 PM
No, don't think you'd told us all that.
Isn't it silly how quickly you become protective of them, etc etc.
Have googled giardia. There appear to be plenty of effective treatments. It does pass to humans, so lots of hot soapy water and regular hand-washing in your house till Teddy is better!

Fran
30-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I have only just caught up with this thread. Reading it was like reliving life with my now 20 week old Siamese kitten Porsha. I got Porsha from the breeder in an appaulingly under weight state. She refused to eat and had terrible diarrhoea. She has been on the RC sensitive diet for many weeks now. Porsha has several other problems other than her diarrhoea but the stool sample I sent did indeed reveal giardia. Giardia can be very difficult to treat and she has now had several different treatments and still suffers with horrendous diarrhoea. Despite this, however, she has gained weight, has a healthy appetite and is starting to look more like a kitten of her age. Porsha is back at the vet tomorrow morning for another head scratch as to what to try next to try and settle her diarrhoea. I think we will be sending more stool samples and changing her antibiotics. Despite the diarrhoea and several other problems, Porsha is now a very happy, well grown kitten and a true naughty tortie ;) There is light at the end of the tunnel but you really need to find out what you are dealing with and the stool sample is the only way forward here. Good luck and let us know what happens

Mags
30-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear have been having such a rough time with Porsha as well Fran :( I have never heard of Giardia but it sounds a very weakening illness for both kittens.

I hope both you and Alex can find the necessary treatment to help both Porsha and Teddy.......good luck to both of you....

dinahsmum
30-10-2006, 10:19 PM
And I hope it helps both of you to know you are 'not alone'. I always think it helps to speak to someone who has 'been there, done that'.

Mags
30-10-2006, 10:32 PM
And I hope it helps both of you to know you are 'not alone'. I always think it helps to speak to someone who has 'been there, done that'.
That's very true DM......

Fran
30-10-2006, 10:33 PM

How very true DM! I had never heard of Giardia before Porsha was diagnosed with it. I would be happy to share my experience with anyone who is interested. Porsha has been so very ill, the vet has warned me that somethimes it is impossible to erradicate it and that it is highly transmissible to other pets and humans too. All the other pets here had to have a three day course of Panacur to try and protect them, so it has had far reaching consequences. Apparantly, a lot of cats carry Giardia without it never presenting a problem for them....

dinahsmum
30-10-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm sure it will help Alex.
I think she was almost at the stage of thinking she would have to lose Teddy :(
Best wishes to you and Porsha too Fran ..... such a shame; I know how much you had wanted her and the plans you had ........

Sweet
30-10-2006, 11:28 PM
((((((hugs)))))) I really hope it all gets sorted for you soon x

dinahsmum
31-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Fran and Alex.
I've managed to get in touch with my elusive daughter whose gorgeous red oriental was on the verge of being pts because of constant chronic diarrhoea. In fact it was so constant you would rather call it faecal incontinence - he just leaked all the time. As you can imagine that was very distressing for all concerned.
So, here's the story. There was never a real diagnosis, despite tests and even a biposy. Probable cause is just 'diarrhoea' that never cleared and the gut therefore never settled, giving worse diarrhoea etc etc.
This is the product that sorted it - almost immediately and almost as if by magic. There's not a lot of 'drug' in it; it's more of a 'solidifying agent' but making the poos more solid just helps everything clear up. The virtuous circle insted of the vicious one.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_145&products_id=28&zenid=233e44694067af50f56875bd85f04dcc
Puss is fine now

Good luck both

Fran
31-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Thank you for the link DM. The granules look interesting and I will certainly give them a try if the medication I got today for her doesn't work. I have emailed you :)

dinahsmum
31-10-2006, 03:26 PM
You're welcome Fran; just hope something works for you (and Alex)

binza
31-10-2006, 07:18 PM
well reading on whats happening to teddy and alexs hubby now i know why i had sickness and diareaha myself after looking after alexs pets , is it poss that this can still be passed on to my pets because my little boy thomas now as the runs which he's had for 2 days.i didnt realise it could be passed on to humans im really gob smacked alex you are very lucky you and the kids havent got it because it doesnt sound very nice at all it could of caused an epedemic through your family and mine.
anyway alex hopefully if it is this there will be some light at the end of the tunnel for teddy.

alexgirl73
31-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks for that Dm, I will see what the vet says first when the sample results come back and hopefully that will sort it out first. If it doesn't, do you know of anywhere to buy them as I cant shop over the internet. Sorry Tracy, I didn't connect you being sick with Teddys diarrhea. I only found out yesterday that the vet says this is perhaps why robert has the gastroenteritis, though it could be unrelated as there is a bout of it doing the rounds according to the doctor. None of my other 2 have shown any signs of it and the vet didn't mention keeping them quarantined, so I dont know what the likliehood is of it being passed on.

Fran, sorry to hear you've had similar problems with Porsha. Its just a nightmare isn't it? Teddy is sitting on my lap just now smelling of poo, but I haven't the heart to shove him off or go and bath him again, 'cause it is really stressing him out. Hopefully we both find an answer soon. (((hugs)))

binza
31-10-2006, 09:03 PM
hi Alex,
with what i had read on the forum with teddy having a form of gastrointeritis id read that it could get passed on to humans thats why with your hubby being ill and me being ill could of been to do with teddys problem. im sorry if i sounded abit narky but i got worried . its a poss it could be whats going around lets just hope that it is with the results. the trouble with animals when they are ill they do tend to pass on things as at the moment thomas as diareaha as well, im disinfecting all the time as i hate being ill i hate sickness and diareaha at the best of times, and poor old teddy must feel like crap if you excuse my french lol.
tracy

Fran
31-10-2006, 09:19 PM
In all fairness, despite my vet informing me how contagious giardia is to both other pets and humans, none of my other pets here, myself, hubby or my two children have been ill or had diarrhoea. I am very strict with handwashing here though whether the pets are ill or not..

alexgirl73
31-10-2006, 09:23 PM
We've been using the dry wash handwashes and to be honest, I would have thought it would be more likely the kids or I to have caught it fromTeddy 'cause they are much younger and I'm on prescription drugs for arthritis etc so I'm usually quite susceptable to catching anything going around.

binza
31-10-2006, 09:27 PM
i'm not putting the blame to Alex if that is how it sounds i was just worried as anyone else would be in that position because with teddy being ill and not knowing what it is that is causing his problem and then suddenly someone mentioning a kind of animal virus which passes onto humans worried me. with Alex not actually knowing yet what his problem is then im sure i have nothing to worry about.
tracy

alexgirl73
01-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Teddy trundling along at the moment. Looking very miserable with life and seems to have lost some weight, but is back to eating plenty. Having to bath his back end at least twice a day at the moment as the diarrhea is just dripping down his legs at times.

EmmaG
01-11-2006, 09:34 PM
aww poor little thing, no wonder he is miserable. I am sure though Alex we can find a solution to this.

Mags
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Poor little boy, I hope those tests come back soon....:(

Elaine
01-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Poor baby xxx Hugs to you both and hope the test results come back soon and you can get him back on track. xxx

alexgirl73
02-11-2006, 09:07 PM
well, poor Teddy has been relegated to the kitchen again and being starved once more. It had got to the stage that you only had to pick him up and put a little pressure on his tummy for him to poo all over you. It is breaking my heart every time I go in there, he tries to make a desperate lunge for the door. Phoned up the vets today to see if there was any news yet, the girl I spoke to told me it could be TUESDAY before the results were back. I told her that at this rate, Teddy wouldn't be here by tuesday. She phoned me back to say that the vet had contacted the lab to have them rushed and that they would get back to me either tonight or tomorrow morning. Obviously they haven't called tonight so hopefully first thing in the morning. I'm hoping that as he hasn't had anything to eat since early afternoon, he might have stopped dripping enough for me to sleep on the couch tonight and have him lying beside me as it is far too cold for him to sleep in the kitchen on his own. Will update you all tomorrow.

alexgirl73
02-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Forgot to say, Broxi had a bit of the runs last night and this morning, I gave him some of the slippery elm bark powder I had left and he was more solid tonight. Will give him some more over the next few days and pray it's just a slightly delayed reaction to his food change last week.

EmmaG
02-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Alex, couldn't you cover the couch will some cut up bin liners and put some old towels over them, at least you and Teddy could have a bit of a cuddle for a bit. Poor little boy :( I hope the vets have some good news for you tomorrow.

yola
02-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Oh no. It sounds like poor little Teddy really has got it bad. I'm so hoping that there is some positive news for you both tomorrow morning. I wish I knew what else to suggest . . .

alexgirl73
03-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Had some news from the vets this morning. The good news that Teddy probably isn't the cause of Roberts gastroeneteritis, that was just a conincidence. The bad news is that we still have no idea what is wrong with Teddy. The vet is still waiting on one result coming back which he said will probably be tuesday at the earliest, but everything else came back fine. No parasites, no infections, nothing! The vet has now prescribed a blanket course of antibiotics and probiotics plus a change of food to Hills id. He says if this doesn't help any, then we are seriously going to have to look at where we go form here. He thinks that if shows no signs of improvement, then Teddys has a very serious problem of some sort which will be prohibitively expensive. So please keep everything crossed, say a prayer and hope with all of your being that this helps my poor wee baby. I am having to prepare myself mentally for the possibility of losing him, but it would break my heart.

Mags
03-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh dear Alex, I do hope this course of AB's and probiotics help the little boy......we are all so worried about him:(

I have everything crossed and am willing him to get better for you .........
(((((hugs)))) to you and (((cuddles))) to Teddy....xx

yola
03-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Really wishing with all my heart that this medication will provide the breakthrough with Teddy's condition. Try to remain hopeful :-) however at the same time as you say, some mental preparation is in order :(

Lots of love, hugs and best wishes to you and Teddy.

dinahsmum
03-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Lots of good wishes
maybe the a/bs and probiotics will help. This diarrhoea needs to stop - it's so debilitating for the little scrap.

Sweet
03-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Poor love, ((((((hugs and cuddles)))))) to you both x

alexgirl73
03-11-2006, 05:26 PM
The antibiotics I have been given are called Clavaseptin Palatable Tablets, and the probiotic is called Promax Paste. Does anyone have any experience of using these and their effectiveness? Also gave him some Hills i.d, he couldn't get it down his little neck quickly enough!

Also spoke to my friend about the possibility of Teddy being PTS, she told me if theat was to happen I should give him back to her and she'd give him back to her friend. NOT A CHANCE! I'd rather he was humanely and lovingly PTS than return him to where he came from. The receptionist in the vets also said that if it turns out to be a chronic illness and I can't afford it any longer, then she will take him. I hope and pray it doesn't come to either of these ends, and that my baby will recover from this and finally be settled.

Kim
03-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Poor Teddy and poor you. Hope the diarrhoea stops very soon and that you get some answers too.

EmmaG
03-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Alex, don't lose hope for Teddy I am sure if something can be done for him then it will be happen.

Be strong and try and be positive.

Is it possible that he is allergic to something in the food?

yola
03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Is it possible that he is allergic to something in the food?

Good thinking Emma. Or maybe just allergic to something other than food (cleaning products, other cats, etc etc).

Moli
03-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Praying the little guy starts to pick up soon, Big Hugs to you and huge cuddles for Teddy....xx

alexgirl73
03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
i don't know to be honest. When we first got him, he had the runs, so I starved him for a few days and then fed him on chicken and rice for a few days, when I started to put him back onto the RC kitten (which I had been given with him) he had diarrhea again, so I starved him again and fed him chicken again. This time I tried him on HiLife which really helped and he started to do normal poos (so he has manged to do some). When I let him downstairs to mix with Cooper and Broxi, he and Cooper started to steal out of each others bowls, so I ended up with 2 kittens with diarrhea. Coopers cleared up very quickly, but Teddys hasn't stopped since, no matter what food we've tried this time. I'm hoping this Hills i.d might make a difference along with the antibiotics, but I've got to the last hope saloon here.

EmmaG
03-11-2006, 06:36 PM
hmmm interesting that HiLife helped a lot, have you tried him on just that food?? I believe Natures Menu is very similar to HiLife and you can buy it in Tescos.

Well perhaps see how the Hill's go.

Fran
03-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Promax paste is excellent! Porsha has been on a new antibiotic and promax paste since she saw the vet the other day and she has had two days of normal poos now :cool: The first normal poos since I got her about 2 months ago and her diarrhoea at times has been so bad she has been incontinent :( Don't give up hope as I have been in your position, wondering what the future holds and feeling sheer desperation.

Fingers crossed for you and Teddy too...let us know how you get on

Mags
03-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Fran, I'm so pleased you are beginning to see some results in Porsha's treatment.......I'm sure that will give some hope to Alex too.

I hope Porsha continues to improve (and we can have some more piccies please;):))

Good luck to both of you.....

alexgirl73
03-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Fran, you have no idea how much hope that has just given me (actually you probably do). What food do you have Porsha on? And how long after giving her the promax and antibiotic did you start to see results? Alex x

Fran
03-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Fran, you have no idea how much hope that has just given me (actually you probably do). What food do you have Porsha on? And how long after giving her the promax and antibiotic did you start to see results? Alex x

She is having Royal Canin kitten biscuits and Royal Canin sensitive chicken and rice pouches. The new antibiotic she is on Baytril. I started seeing normal poos a couple of days after starting the Baytril and Promax.

I really hope you have success with Teddy's new treatment too. The antibiotic you have mentioned is not one I have been given for Porsha so I cannot comment on that one. Promax paste has binding agents, probiotics, yeasts and other agents to help the guts restore normal function. It's quite expensive but absolutely well worth it in my opinion.

alexgirl73
03-11-2006, 08:37 PM
If it works it will be worth every penny. I think the dried Royal Canin sensitivity was really irritating Teddys tummy, so hopefull the Hills being a wet food will make things easier on him.

alexgirl73
03-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Forgot to say, my MIL (who hates cats) actually gave me my birthday money (£20) early so I could get Teddys antibiotics. I thought that was really nice of her, 'cause even she felt sorry for him when she was down last week.

Fran
03-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Hill's is a good food, although I have never used it myself. The vet gave me the Royal Canin sensitivity pouches (wet food) I haven't tried RC sensitive dry diet. Porsha had to have some sort of kitten biscuit because she was so poorly grown for her age and when I got her she was a terribly fussy eater and the RC babycat/kitten were the only ones she would eat.

alexgirl73
03-11-2006, 08:46 PM
We tried the RC pouches with Teddy a few weeks ago, obviously it didn't help, so that was when we tried the dried, to no success. I'm pinning my hopes on this one.

Fran
03-11-2006, 08:53 PM
We tried the RC pouches with Teddy a few weeks ago, obviously it didn't help, so that was when we tried the dried, to no success. I'm pinning my hopes on this one.

I have tried various different diets with Porsha and not one of them has made a difference tbh. Obviously the medication she is on now is what is sorting her out rather than the diet if you get my meaning. I am hopeful that once she is fully normal in the poo department and when her guts have calmed down and recovered from this terrible time that she will be able to eat a much wider variety of things..

I have my fingers crossed that tomorrow you will have news for us that Teddy is starting to be much better in the toilet department

Fran
03-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Fran, I'm so pleased you are beginning to see some results in Porsha's treatment.......I'm sure that will give some hope to Alex too.

I hope Porsha continues to improve (and we can have some more piccies please;):))

Good luck to both of you.....

Thank you Mags and I promise I will find time over the next couple of days to take some new photos :-D

Fran
04-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Any improvement this morning Alex?

dinahsmum
04-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Great news from you Fran and hopefully Alex will be able to give a similarly encouraging report very soon.
I'm so pleased for you both - Fran, as you know my daughter nearly lost her beautiful red oriental with this (never really diagnosed) problem.
Wonder why is seems to take the vets a long time to get a handle on it?

Best of luck to you both, and Teddy and Porsha.

alexgirl73
04-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Well, Teddy hasn't done anything last night or this morning yet. Which is a good sign in itself, as for the last few weeks he hasn't been off it. I follow him every time he goes out of the living room, poor baby, so I know he definately hasn't done any poos. As soon as I know any different I will let you know (what a wonderful thing to be posting about), but I will probably cry like a baby if it's anywhere near normal.

Mags
04-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Holding my breath here for you Alex ...... I hope this may be the start of an improvement for Teddy....

tilly
04-11-2006, 01:38 PM
sorry to hear he has been unwell all the best to you and teddy heres hoping you are OK.
Sally

Booktigger
04-11-2006, 03:20 PM
I have used Clavaseptin - they are basically just Synulox, but a lot smaller, and I found slightly harder to get into Tiger as they were so small they broke in half too easily!! i am glad he is feeling a bit better, and hope it isn't anything too seirous.

alexgirl73
04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Update time. Teddy has done 2 little poos tonight, both a little firmer than of late. Still nowhere near normal but a heck of a lot better than the water which was pouring out of him. He seems a lot more livlier today. He has been playing with Cooper and actually exploring the house and climbing on furniture, real kitten behaviour! So things a little better, but hopefully it will continue in this vein and I'll be able to come on tomorrow and give more good news.

Fran
04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
I am so pleased that things are looking positive for Teddy!! Fingers crossed that there will be even greater improvement tomorrow! Porsha still has normal poos :cool: and is going only once a day now instead of several times a day! i really hope Teddy has turned a corner too x

EmmaG
04-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you and teddy, alex :)

yola
05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Alex - it's good to read that news about Teddy. I hope you can return tomorrow morning with a report of a firm stool :-D

It's funny that once you've had pets and kids you're no longer squeamish about such things :roll:

Elaine
05-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Good news Alex, I hope this is a turning point for you and Teddy and that he and his tummy troubles are almost at an end. xxx

Elaine
05-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Sorry just re-read post, I dont mean he is at an end, just his tummy troubles. My appologies. xxx

Booktigger
05-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Aww, I do hope this is the start of his improvement!! Will keep my fingers crossed for him

Mags
05-11-2006, 11:52 AM
That's good news Alex, I hope the improvement continues and Teddy gets stronger.... :D

yola
05-11-2006, 01:49 PM
How goes Teddy today, Alex??

alexgirl73
05-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Did you ever feel like dancing up and down your street? Well, thats how I feel today. Teddy has done something that actually looks like a poo! The texture still looks a little wet (apologies to anyone eating while reading this) but it had definate shape and I think someone replaced my Teddy int he middle of the night with a ....kitten! He has been playing with toys, running around like a loony and not just sleeping the whole day away. I think we might have turned a corner here although I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much as I have thought in the past that things have improved just for it to all fall apart the next day.. But.................fingers crossed!

EmmaG
05-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Excellent news Alex, I am so pleased for you both, and it sounds as if Teddy is now like the kitten he is!!!

Mags
05-11-2006, 06:20 PM
:smt026:smt026 :smt026

That's the news we've all been waiting to hear Alex!!:D
It sounds like the little lad is enjoying being alive at last! I'm so pleased.... and it must be such a relief for you.

I know it's early days but at least you know 'it' can be done !:D

dinahsmum
05-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I love the way we get so pleased about the normal functions of life functioning normally :lol:
Couldn't be more pleased for you - I think it's Ok for us all to be cautiously optimistic now.

(and I ask again - why does it take so long for the vets to supply something to stop the runs? We've (the humans) all been stricken by bad tums at some point and all know just how debilitating it is. Tranfer that to a tiny scrap only a few weeks old ...... )

Elaine
05-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Awww bless him, I hope he continues to improve xxx

yola
05-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Alex, it delights me to read your news . . . I'm hoping for your and Teddy's sake it's not just a momentary lapse, but the beginning of the road to recovery.

I'm so glad you've got your kitten back :-D

Booktigger
05-11-2006, 07:35 PM
i am so pleased to hear this, fingers crossed this lasts for both of you.

Sweet
05-11-2006, 07:37 PM
That is great news, I really hope this is the corner and it has been turned x