PDA

View Full Version : Starting low carb eating again, anybody want to join me?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Donna
02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
More carbs in milk than in coffee so thats why cream is better (although I am still loosing weight and have a few teas with skimmed milk, but dont tell Emma!!)

Tea as in dinner? I have either meat or fish with lots of veg which I normally do in a cheesy sauce.

Steak with onions and salad (can have full fat mayo yay!!)
Burger with cheese and onions (without the bun)
Cod and veg with cheesy sauce
Chicken and salad or veg

etc etc....

Emma knows better recipes than me. I am a bit boring!

EmmaG
02-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I think you have done very well Donna :) I tend to have milk in my tea and in my coffee at work

Smudgley you need to totally cut out the following

Sugar
Bread
Pasta
Rice
Potatoes

As Donna says you can have a protein (unprocessed) i.e. steak, pork, chicken, lamb, fish etc with either a salad or veg (not potatoes) as your main meal, you can also have burgers (no bun) sausages etc.

With getting your carbs from your veg and not processed food you will lose your appetite, but you will need to make sure you are having some food during the day. At the moment both Donna and me have almost zero hunger and this means that we are losing weight.

Best to post up a good list of food, meat, fish and veg that you like and perhaps me and Donna can help you sort out some meals for the week.

smudgley
02-07-2007, 11:21 PM
food I like........... chocolate eclairs, fresh cream slices, mars bars, dairy milk bars... oh sorry you mean proper food...:oops:

like chicken, lamb, beef, sausage, burgers
don't eat fish (yuk)
like spring cabbage, broc, green beans, carrots, parsnips, can eat cauli if I have to.

tell me what I should have for tea then, remember I work full time - have a family - a million animals & a million & one things to do with therescue cats, my time is quite limited in the cookery department.

I don't have sugar in tea, I don't eat much pasta, I can live without bread & I could sacrifice potatoes if I have to.

EmmaG
03-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Smudgley if I was you I would go very simple for a couple of weeks, chicken breast (meat) with veg that you like (not carrots or parsnips to start off with as they are higher carbs) what about other veg courgettes? I live on green beans

Have a salad lunchtime, you could have this will cheese? boiled eggs, chicken and bacon etc.

10 stone 4lbs today!!!! woohooo :)

Donna
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Still 10st 2lbs.

Had egg/sausage/half fried tomato for breakkie
Had Materson chicken bites and small bag salted peanuts lunch.
Dinner will be chicken salad I think.

EmmaG
03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Lamb koftas for me tonight with some cauliflower fried rice :)

Lunch was as follows - 5 olives, crab layered salad, some prawns and a small bag of salted peanuts.

I have been shopping today bought some semolina which if you make some very small portions of semolina pudding is fairly low carb (about 4 carbs), bit different for a dessert.

Sainsburys has also got sugar free sweets as follows, mashmallows, wine gums, and mints. Bought a few packets for when I get a cravings....if at all!!! lol

Not hungry at all today.

Donna
03-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I just did some stir fry chicken with some bits and pieces chucked in.

Quite nice.

EmmaG
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I just did some stir fry chicken with some bits and pieces chucked in.

Quite nice.

Easy when you know how, hey Donna ;) :-D

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 06:14 AM
10 stone 3lbs today!!! :) I am catching up with you Donna !! :)

Smudgley are you going to join us??

Donna
04-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Still one step ahead Emma!!!

10stone 1bs......

Soon be single figures!!!!

smudgley
04-07-2007, 09:57 AM
10 stone 3lbs today!!! :) I am catching up with you Donna !! :)

Smudgley are you going to join us??

Well I'd like to... yesterday my mates were taking me out for a birthday treat, but we were all so busy we didn't have time in the end, so we raced off to Donalds instead & ate it in the car rushing back to work. :roll: Today is my birthday so not the best day to start a diet, but tomorrow... I promise, I'm with ya. Do I have to announce my weight to the world? :oops:

Emma, tell me what to eat tomorrow. I prefer not to eat breakfast, but I will if I really have to... to be honest I quite often don't eat anything during the day, but don't stop eating all evening. :oops: So give me a simple idea of what to have tomorrow. ;)

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
wooohoooo look at you go Donna!!!!! hmmm 2lbs between us!!! lol

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Ok smudgley I am going to recommend some meals and you can pick what you like, you will have to tell me anything you do not like.

You do not have to post up your weight but I find it does help, if you do not post it, keep a record of it, also take measurements before you start, because there will be times when you are not losing weight but you will lose inches. measure, neck, upper arms, bust, waist, hips, bottom, thighs, you can also measure you wrists and ankles.

You do not have to have breakfast if you do not want to, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, although after a couple of days you will lose your appetite you should try and eat something to keep your metabolism moving.

BREAKFASTS

Fresh egg custards - made with cream, egg yolk and sweetener - Splender is a good sweetener

---------------------- or

omelette made with any of the following, bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, small amount of onion

---------------------- or

bacon, eggs, black pudding, fried mushrooms, sausages - TRY AND FIND THE LOWEST CARB SAUSAGES YOU CAN THEY SHOULD BE LESS THAN 2g CARBS PER SAUSAGE - THEY WILL BE THE ONES WITH THE HIGHEST MEAT CONTENT

----------------------

LUNCH

Salads - lettuce, cucumber, avocado, spring onions, celery, peppers, radishes, watercress

Top salads with protein/meat - chicken, beef, pork, duck

---------------------------- or

I know you said you didn't like fish but do you like prawns?

Pawn cocktail on avocado

---------------------------- or

Crustless quiche -

4 oz Bacon - chopped
1/2 onion - chopped
6 eggs
170ml whipping cream
570g frozen chopped broccoli or spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
225g cheese (Gruyère is nice)
small amount of salt and pepper

heat oven to 180c, butter 10 inch tart pan
fry bacon and onion until slightly brown, drain and place in tart pan together with broccoli or spinach, mix eggs and cream together and pour over ingredients in tart pan, add cheese.

Cook in the hot oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until brown on top and cooked.

Serves 8

You can have with warm or cold for lunch with or without a salad

------------------------------

DINNER

Any plain meat with veg, veg - green beans, broccoli, cauliflower,

--------------------------- or

Omelette - same choices as for lunch

--------------------------

SNACKS

Devilled eggs - hardboiled eggs with the yolk removed and mixed with mayo and seasoning also some mustard if you like.

Small bag (50g) of salted peanuts

NOTES

Tomatoes - eat in moderation 1-2 a day but no more
Peppers the same - eat in moderation

Condiments

Tabasco sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Soy Sauce
Capers
Mustard
Mayo - full fat - no need to have reduced fat
Pesto

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Drink loads of water, as much as you can.

Coffee with cream

smudgley
04-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Ok, I'll give this a go. I will weigh myself tomorrow & make a start on the diet.
2 problems I can see though. 1- I like really plain food, so quite limited on what I could eat from your list. 2-time is always against me. I'm up at 5.45/6am & some mornings have to leave at 6.30/7am. remember I have to sort out my animals & mother-in-law has to be collected before I go. So time for preparing breakfast & lunch is really tight. but I will give it a go & see how I get on. Need your support guys.

thanks for all the tips so far.

Shall I drink black coffee? I can't ask people to put cream in my coffee when I do a visit. :oops:

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi Smudgley,

With a bit of planning you should be fine, I get up between 5.30 and 5.55am every morning and leave work for 7am, get home anytime after 5pm. Donna juggles a job and her children and copes with low carbing very well. You will need to spend some time preparing the food though, but once low carbing you will not be spending time snacking in the evening :)

If you like plain food this should really be a doddle for you, it will only be lunchtime that you will need to prepare for, salads you can do enough for a couple of days with very fresh ingredients. I usually find that when I do my dinner I sort out my lunch for the next day, seems to work very well.

Do you like cheese? a cheese salad is very easy to prepare for lunch and you could have a nice omelette (using those lovely fresh eggs you are getting :) ) for dinner.

If you are happy having black coffee even better, don't forget diet soft drinks, and any squashes need to be sugar free. You can have milk in your drinks but cream is better than milk in coffee due to the higher fat content. and water, water, water!!!

Forget any low calorie food, this will only make you feel hungry, proper low carbing and you will forget about food. Don't be frightened to eat some fat, this is not a low fat way of eating, the fat and the protein is what stops the hunger cravings.

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Smudgley, if in doubt over what you can eat, just post up the details and either me or Donna will be able to tell you if it is ok, you will make a few mistakes as you go along but don't worry about it.

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Ok, I'll give this a go. I will weigh myself tomorrow & make a start on the diet.
2 problems I can see though. 1- I like really plain food, so quite limited on what I could eat from your list

When you get a chance Smudgley post up all of the foods that you can think of that you like to eat and also the ones that you dont, and I will mark the ones that you can eat.

There are thousands of low carb recipes I could find for you, if I know what you like, some are very easy to make, and you could freeze/refrigerate them. egg custard is a great example, you can do a batch and pop them in the freezer and just take them out the night before you want them.

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Great snack

A piece of ham/thinly sliced chicken etc, spread with cream cheese, roll up and enjoy :)

smudgley
04-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Great snack

A piece of ham/thinly sliced chicken etc, spread with cream cheese, roll up and enjoy :)

now your talking. that's much more me. :cool:

I can tolerate black coffee & I'll try & drink it & see how I go.

Do I like cheese? Do I like cheese?.............. me could live on cheese & chocolate. :roll:

So tomorrow I'm up & out early as I have a meeting on a Thursday, so won't be able to eat brekkie. I'll take 2 tomates & some lettuce & celery with some cheese for lunch (how much cheese can I have?)

For tea, I'll have a chicken breast with cauli & broccoli. Got a meeting at school at 5pm & it's my dauhters birthday, but this should work ok.

i'll drink lots of water during the day & I've only got one visit to do & I never get offered a drink there anyway, so no need to worry about milk.

Does that sound ok?

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:04 PM
now your talking. that's much more me. :cool:

I can tolerate black coffee & I'll try & drink it & see how I go.

Do I like cheese? Do I like cheese?.............. me could live on cheese & chocolate. :roll:

So tomorrow I'm up & out early as I have a meeting on a Thursday, so won't be able to eat brekkie. I'll take 2 tomates & some lettuce & celery with some cheese for lunch (how much cheese can I have?) as much as you like :)

For tea, I'll have a chicken breast with cauli & broccoli. Got a meeting at school at 5pm & it's my dauhters birthday, but this should work ok. excellent

i'll drink lots of water during the day & I've only got one visit to do & I never get offered a drink there anyway, so no need to worry about milk.

Does that sound ok?

Sounds very good to me Smudgley

smudgley
04-07-2007, 11:07 PM
As much cheese as I like, are you serious? Wow - I like low carbing. :-D

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Just checked my Atkins book and they recommend no more than 4oz of cheese, but I have eaten more than that some days without any problem, as a general rule 1oz cheese = 1g of carbs as Donna previously mentioned you should be trying to make sure you eat 20g of carbs or less.

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:14 PM
As much cheese as I like, are you serious? Wow - I like low carbing. :-D

Certainly am, I ate a kilo of cheese over christmas when I was low carbing and put on 1lbs :) so I don't think that it really has much effect, you just need to be sensible, but I think over a short period of time as your hunger decreases you would naturally crave less cheese.

smudgley
04-07-2007, 11:16 PM
4oz is quite a lot of cheese.

I've been on a diet a few times, but I have only ever tried one specific diet & on that one I am allowed 1oz cheese per day. So 4oz seems loads.

I get quite excited & can get motivated & I think the fact that I've never done this before means I will be more detemined to succeed. I do lead a hectic life as you know & it's very easy to use that for an excuse for snacking, but with a little thought & preperation, even the busiest person can cope.

I'm excited! Not sure if I will post my weight, but I will keep posting how much I'm loosing (or gaining) :roll:

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Herbs and spices you can have as much as you like, some people say that Cinnamon speeds up the metabolism and is quite nice stirred into some mascapone (sp) cheese.

When I first started low carbing I bought packets of that string cheese to eat as snacks or those baby bells

smudgley
04-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Herbs and spices you can have as much as you like, some people say that Cinnamon :cat36 speeds up the metabolism and is quite nice stirred into some mascapone (sp) cheese.:cat36

When I first started low carbing I bought packets of that string cheese to eat as snacks or those baby bells:cat21

herbs & spices - yuk.

cheese - yum.

can i ever eat bread or pots?

Mags
04-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Smudgley, I lo-carbed two years ago.....started in January and by August had lost one and a half stone. It really does work, in fact it's the only diet that ever worked for me! I have to get the motivation to start again and following this thread I may try!! :D

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:24 PM
4oz is quite a lot of cheese.

I've been on a diet a few times, but I have only ever tried one specific diet & on that one I am allowed 1oz cheese per day. So 4oz seems loads.

I get quite excited & can get motivated & I think the fact that I've never done this before means I will be more detemined to succeed. I do lead a hectic life as you know & it's very easy to use that for an excuse for snacking, but with a little thought & preperation, even the busiest person can cope.

I'm excited! Not sure if I will post my weight, but I will keep posting how much I'm loosing (or gaining) :roll:

Doesn't matter if you are 20 stone or 10 Smudgley, it is the losing of the weight that matters, IF it makes you unhappy and you want to lose it, that is what you need to focus on, not the actual figure you are at the moment. With strict low carbing you will lose a lot of weight in the first two weeks, as me and Donna seem to be (average of 5lbs a week or more) then you can keep to that if you want to, or start slowing down the weight loss by adding more higher carb veg and fruit to your eating, eventually you will find the correct level of carbs that your body will tolerate before you start putting on weight. Although a lot of people dislike Atkins and low carbing if they actually read the books, they make a LOT of sense. What is more healthier than just eating protein and veg/fruit??

I personally think low carbing is a very easy way to losing weight, you do not have to pay for prepared (read full of rubbish) meals as they are all, mostly simple foods. Most meals are very easy to prepare, and lot of recipes can be low carbed

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:29 PM
:cat21

herbs & spices - yuk.

cheese - yum.

can i ever eat bread or pots?

When you are happy that you have lost the weight that you want to, then yes you can eat bread and potatoes, but it might be that your carb threshold is say 50g per day and that would mean for example that for potatoes it would only be half a jacket you could eat in a day. Every body is different, your carb threshold could be quite high but until you stop losing weight and start reintroducing certain foods back into what you eat you will not know. But you might be able to have a jacket potato once a week or potatoes with a Sunday roast only.

Also some foods will give you terrible hunger cravings, bread is a bad trigger for me, once I start eating it I crave sugar like a mad person.

One thing you do want to do once you have lost the weight, is to make sure you do not go back to eating the way which made you put on the weight, because it will only come back.

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Smudgley, I lo-carbed two years ago.....started in January and by August had lost one and a half stone. It really does work, in fact it's the only diet that ever worked for me! I have to get the motivation to start again and following this thread I may try!! :D

Come on Mags, what have you got to lose by joining in ;) :-D

Mags
04-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Come on Mags, what have you got to lose by joining in ;) :-D
Weight!!! :-D

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Smudgley, do you ever feel tired about 4pm, like you have got no energy at all???? I know Donna and me both felt this way before we first started low carbing.

Perhaps Donna can tell us the difference low carbing has on the way she feels, my energy levels certainly have started to get better. Once I am fully low carbing for a couple of weeks before I have worken up at 4am and wanted to clean the house from top to bottom!!! (and no my house isn't that dirty!! :) ) The energy levels are just incredible

EmmaG
Weight!!! :-D......... :-D ;)

Mags
Are you eating any fruit at all Emma? I have apples, strawberries and grapes every day...........I would really miss that now... :?

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:36 PM
I had some strawberries at the weekend Mags, generally I don't eat much fruit until I want to start slowing down the weight loss, then I eat raspberries, strawberries (with loads of cream!!) all of the "berry" type fruit, oh and rhubarb - just love the stuff!!! I do find that just for a couple of weeks I can forgo the fruit to kick start the weight loss

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Forgot to mention you can have a small amount of lemon or lime juice. (Lemon chicken perhaps??, or use it in a dressing for a salad)

Fran
04-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Smudgley, do you ever feel tired about 4pm, like you have got no energy at all???? I know Donna and me both felt this way before we first started low carbing.

Perhaps Donna can tell us the difference low carbing has on the way she feels, my energy levels certainly have started to get better. Once I am fully low carbing for a couple of weeks before I have worken up at 4am and wanted to clean the house from top to bottom!!! (and no my house isn't that dirty!! :) ) The energy levels are just incredible

Emma,can you explain the scientifics behind this as it goes against everything I was taught during my training and every bit of advice I gave my patients. Carbohydrates are the energy giving foods???? I am not disputing you just interested to know the logic behind it that's all :-D

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Yes carbohydrates are energy given foods, but people who are overweight normally are because they are eating processed food, not healthy carbs. Low carbing (read low not no) makes the body use it's own stored fat as fuel, by restricting the intake of carbs it forces the body to use stored fat.

To go into the scientifics behind why it works you would really have to read one of the good low carb books, it would take me hours to type out why it works.

But think of animals in the wild, they eat little carbs, eat a lot of fat and meat (protein) and are lean and (generally) healthy, they have energy to exercise for their food, and even carnivores that do not have to put a lot of energy into obtaining their food are not fat, now compare this to us humans who as a nation are generally lazy and overweight. I really believe that eating fat doesn't make you fat, look at any carnivore in nature and none of them are fat like we are. We even see this if we feed our pets rubbish food or human processed food, they get lazy and fat, if I feed my cats high carb foods that is what they would crave. Our bodies cannot cope with processed food.

I am not expecting anybody to agree with my views or the views of low carbers, but when you read about it, it really does makes sense.

I would also like to point out that this is LOW carbing I am not talking about eating no carbs at all, the idea about low carbing is to lose the weight and then reintroduce more good carbs back into the way that you eat

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Emma,can you explain the scientifics behind this as it goes against everything I was taught during my training and every bit of advice I gave my patients. Carbohydrates are the energy giving foods???? I am not disputing you just interested to know the logic behind it that's all :-D

When I read about dieters doing low calorie/low fat, most of them are starving hungry (not all but some) surely if their diet was so good for them their body would be satisfied with the food it was given. With low carb most people find that they have little or no cravings. Now personally I would prefer to listen to why my body is telling me rather than anybody else. I do not feel hungry, I have tones of energy, even now at nearly 12 o'clock I feel as if I could run a marathon, I bet not many low calorie/low fat dieters would say that!! :-D

EmmaG
04-07-2007, 11:59 PM

I think we discussed the scientifics Fran about low carbing in this thread Fran

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=12590&highlight=carb

EmmaG
05-07-2007, 06:29 AM
10 stone 3lbs today!!!

Donna
05-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Still 10st 1lbs.

Just like to add to all your points from last night Emma, that I agree totally. This diet makes sense. It is a diet where you are not starving, where you have energy, where you are eating good, fresh food, and losing or maintaining weight.

I cannot see how any of it can be wrong for you when all the advantages can be seen by all.

And welcome to the low-carbers Smudgley!! Good luck!!!!

And come on Mags.... where are you today?????????

EmmaG
05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Doing well Donna :)

Lunch was praws, salad, coleslaw, M&S chargrilled mushrooms

Dinner is going to be cauliflower mash, green beans, liver and sausages :) yummy!!!!

Oh and I had a small bag of peanuts !!! lol

smudgley
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
It's official. First day

Last night I got a call out from work at 2.30am & had to go & do a visit in Worcester :roll: when I got there the lady offered me a drink, I answered her by saying I'd have a black coffee with no sugar (usually take milk) I actually enjoyed the coffee & felt quite awake driving home.

This got me thinking, that maybe I am being serious about this diet & that if I want to loose weight, only I can do it & I need the determination to do it & I now feel in the right frame of mine & am sure that with support I can do this.

I know this type of dieting is contraversial but i am happy to give it a go.

Today I've had lots of black coffees. (I have adjusted to the taste quite well)

I didn't have breakfast - but I'd be up since 2.30am.

I had to come home from work early to wrap my daughters prezzies & accept a new foster cat & kittens, no time for lunch (I know that's a crap excuse - please don't shout at me, I didn't want / need to eat) but I did have a baby bel as I know Emma said she has them.

I'm just about to dish up tea, which is a roast chicken dinner for the family. For me chicken with broccili & a pan full of cauli (which I'm going to mash up)..... Can I have gravy?

I am determined not to have any birthday cake. :roll:

I weighed myself... I'm 11 - 3 :oops: I've put that there for the world to see so that I will make sureI loose weight now!

Donna
05-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Well done Smudgley on your first day!!! And your weight is not horrendous - was imagining all sorts when you said you were embarrased to post it up. Do you have a goal weight?

I started at nearly 11stone and already I am 10st 1lbs. Hope to be 10st exactly by tomorrow. My goal weight is 9 and a half stone or better.

Having a goal is good. I do mine in sections. From nearly 11 stone I wanted to get to 10 and a half, then from there I wanted to get to ten stone etc.

Today I had bacon and half a tomato fried
Chicken bites from Matersons at work
Cod with cheesy veg for dinner

So thats me for today all full up. Had a few teas with splash of skimmed milk but find that doesnt affect my weight loss.

Donna
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
It's official. First day

Can I have gravy?

Dont think so but Emma will give you the right answer soon I am sure.

If I have a roast dinner I would mix some full fat cream cheese into the veg to make all the dinner taste nicer.

EmmaG
05-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Well done Smudgley, as Donna said your weight isn't that bad!! I am sure I was more than you when I first started low carbing.

If you make your gravy with flour then no you won't be able to have any, flour is very high in carbs, you can still have some juices from the meat and if you want to thicken them I add a tiny bit of cream, normally works well.

EmmaG
05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
with your cauliflower you can mash it with cream, butter, cheese :), garlic

EmmaG
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
If you have had some gravy Smudgley try not to worry about it too much, but in future try avoiding the flour.

smudgley
05-07-2007, 08:05 PM
If you have had some gravy Smudgley try not to worry about it too much, but in future try avoiding the flour.

I didn't have any gravy & I actually really enjoyed my meal.
Let's see if I can hold off "piggin out" later. I'm off to bed early so should be ok.

I will weigh myself weekly.

EmmaG
05-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Well done Smudgley, if you feel the need to snack just have a couple of cubes of cheese :) or some celery etc

EmmaG
05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
If you need some recipe ideas Donna and Smudgley, Linda Sues is one of the best

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Smudgley you should try and eat anything with a * next to it

EmmaG
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
OMG !!!! :)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_photos/shepherds_pie_cheese_crusted_leeks.jpg
(http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_photos/shepherds_pie_cheese_crusted_leeks_zoom.jpg)

SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CHEESE-CRUSTED LEEKS

Filling:

2 pounds ground beef
1 small onion, 2 1/2 ounces
1 medium carrot, chopped, about 2 1/2 ounces *
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoons low carb ketchup
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
Spices and herbs of your choice
Salt and pepper, to taste

Topping:

1 batch Faux Mashed Potatoes (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mashed_potatoes.html), from fresh cauliflower *
1 leek, sliced and sautéed in 1 tablespoon butter until tender, about 3 ounces
2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Brown the beef with the onion and carrots until the carrots are tender; drain the grease. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the meat and stir in well. Add the broth; bring to a boil. Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and herbs and cook to heat through. Adjust the seasonings to taste with spices, herbs, salt and pepper. Put in a large casserole dish.
Carefully spread the mashed cauliflower over the meat mixture; top with the leeks and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400º about 25 minutes or until the top is golden. Makes 4-6 servings

EmmaG
06-07-2007, 06:26 AM
10 stone 2lbs today!!!!!! woohoooo!!!!

Donna
06-07-2007, 08:15 AM
I still 10st 1lbs!!!

Gonna be super good today and eat really good. Nothing for breakfast as off to work in a minute and not hungry but I have tuna mayo cucumber mix for lunch....

Donna
06-07-2007, 08:16 AM
10 stone 2lbs today!!!!!! woohoooo!!!!

Well done Emma :-D You gonna catch me up!!! Must get my skates on :-D

Donna
06-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Didnt have anything else today apart from the lunch as above, except a small bag salted peanuts. Not really hungry.

Am going out for a few drinks tonight so not sure what the weigh in will bring tomorrow!! Just done a big chart for my bathroom door counting down the pounds from 11st to 9st. Will see how far I get!!

EmmaG
06-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Well done Donna!!! You are doing so well!!! Don't forget diet drinks and spirits are not too bad, better than wine. How are you feeling today Smudgley did you have any snacks last night??

Haven't eaten much today, and a tescos cumbernauld sausage lunchtime and a bag of peanuts.

Having a fish bake tonight with green beans

I did find in Tescos some sugar free chocolate, made by canderel, they do a dark and milk chocolate. 100g bar has 11.4g carbs in the milk and 2.2g carbs in the dark one. Really good if you fancy some chocolate. 18 squares to a bar so you could have a couple of squares as a treat now and again and it shouldn't hurt too much.

Cost about £1.29 a bar

smudgley
06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
no I ate nothing after last night my tea. :-D

Today I've had celery with spread cheese on at 11am.

chicken with celery & some cheese at 3pm

Just about to have bacon & fried egg.... (Can I have baked beans or tinned toms?)

I wanted an early night last night due to the lack of sleep the previous night, but didn't get to be until late.

Today I feel tired & had a bad headache, but i'm putting that down to the lack of sleep & not the change of diet.

EmmaG
06-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Smudgley you can have a couple of the tinned tomatoes, baked beans usually have a lot of added sugar.

The headache might be eased if you drink more fluids. It can be a sign of low carbing, also you can get a metalic taste in your mouth.

EmmaG
06-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Well done for not snacking :)

EmmaG
06-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Smudgley you need to be able to read the labels on tins/packets of food and see if they are low carb enough for you to have some. Remember you are trying at the moment for a TOTAL of 20g carbs or less. Every brand of food is different so YOU have to decide if you can have some. Look to see how much the food is per 100g and see how much you could possibly have.

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Wooohoooo 10 stone 1lb today!!!!! caught up with you Donna :) Hoping to be good today but we are popping to town.

Donna
07-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Wooohoooo 10 stone 1lb today!!!!! caught up with you Donna :) Hoping to be good today but we are popping to town.

Not quite Emma!!!!!

10 Stone exactly today for me :-D :-D :-D :-D

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 09:54 AM
arrgghhhhh!!!!!! LOL!!!!

VERY well done Donna, did you have any drinks last night???

You are going to feel so pleased with yourself Donna when you get below 10 stone :)

How are you feeling today Smudgley??

Donna
07-07-2007, 09:55 AM
arrgghhhhh!!!!!! LOL!!!!

VERY well done Donna, did you have any drinks last night???

You are going to feel so pleased with yourself Donna when you get below 10 stone :)

How are you feeling today Smudgley??

Er.. yes Emma I had LOADS :-D

Feel great this morning as well!!! Just had a small breakfast. Not sure what else I will be eating today though as am at work as we are short staffed. Will have to buy something on the High Street :roll:

Emm
07-07-2007, 12:08 PM
well done Emma and Donna and good luck Smudgely!

I could never follow this diet but I'm glad its working out for you! :D

smudgley
07-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for asking Emma - today I feel great!

Difficult to know why I felt headachey & tired yesterday, but I think it was lack of sleep not the diet.

Feeling good today.

Had bacon for breakfast with a small amount of tinned toms.

the problem I have is that I'm not really sure what I can & can't eat. :? I looked at the link Emma posted but it was all baking / cooking & seemed complicated..... I prefer to keep it simple.

I know you say 20G per day. Does that mean any meat fish / veg plus 20g carbs.

For lunch I am having salad with eggs (if they've laid today) Oh & the egg I had yesterday was yummy & was a double yoker :cool:

Donna
07-07-2007, 01:02 PM
I am more for the simpler meals too Smudgley!! No time for baking and never have half the ingredients!!

Your lunch will be good, just need to think of dinner. I like things like meat with salad or meat with cheesy veg. Simpley grilled and plain. Other ideas is a cooked breakfast for dinner, I like quarter pounders with cheese and fried onions (no bun).

Your 20g of carbs is for the whole day and all your food counts in this.

smudgley
07-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I am more for the simpler meals too Smudgley!! No time for baking and never have half the ingredients!!

Your 20g of carbs is for the whole day and all your food counts in this.

But how do I know how much carb is in a sausage from the butcher? Or chicken? burgers with cheese & onions ---- now your talking.... Yum yum!

Mags
07-07-2007, 01:55 PM
But how do I know how much carb is in a sausage from the butcher? Or chicken? burgers with cheese & onions ---- now your talking.... Yum yum!
Smudgley, here is a link to a carb 'counter', there would be too many pages to print out I expect, so maybe you could bookmark it and then you'd have it on hand to check those good and bad carbs! ;)

http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/stats_a_z/foodstats_a.htm

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Pure meat has no carbs is is all protein and fat.

Sounds as if you are doing very well Smudgley, as Donna said the 20g carb is for the full day for all of your meals. The carbs you will be counting if you have meat will mainly be in the veg and perhaps any milk you have, and any odd things like Donna and me have peanuts which are roughly 5g of carbs a 50g bag.

Well for lunch today I had chicken and avacado salad, and they put the dressing in a little dish for me :) salad was very nice and I have a tiny bit of dressing (as I didn't know how many carbs were in the dressing)

Dinner is going to be lamb chops, cauliflower cheese and some green beans :)

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Smudgley, here is a link to a carb 'counter', there would be too many pages to print out I expect, so maybe you could bookmark it and then you'd have it on hand to check those good and bad carbs! ;)

http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/stats_a_z/foodstats_a.htm

Good link thanks for posting that Mags :)

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Sausages from butchers tend to be quite high in meat you can always ask your butcher if he can recommend his best sausages with the lowest "fillers" in them, fillers will be breadcrumbs etc. The higher the meat content the better.

Donna
07-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I have had a scotch egg for breakfast (around 15g carb so quite high but wanted a quick breakfast whilst at work!), had some chicken bites for lunch and I have just had a boiled egg and mayo.

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Not too bad Donna, if it was me I would have eaten the egg and sausagemeat and thrown the rest ;) lol

A few days I am sure I must go over 20g carbs but other days definitely below I reckon.

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Good to hear that you both feel well, I feel fantastic at the moment, not hungry at all, still haven't had dinner yet

smudgley
07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I had salad for lunch & am having beefburgers for tea with cheese & fried onions. Are you sure that is ok? Doesn't sound like diet food, but I'm not complaining. :-D
Can't wait to get on the scales next week & see what i've lost. :cool:

Donna
07-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I found I couldnt believe at first that the diet could POSSIBLY work cos I was eating foods that were before off limits totally.

Cooked breakfasts, cheese, cream, sausages, burgers, steaks...

doesnt sound like a diet does it???

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 06:40 PM
lol yes you will be fine with that Smudgley, it will be interesting to see if you notice your weight loss in your clothing first before you get on the scales I started to notice my weightloss after a couple of days, mainly because I wasn't bloated anymore.

EmmaG
07-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Found out today that Sainsburys also do Sugar Free Chocolate, it is their own brand, 99p per bar in dark and milk :)

Donna
08-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I have been told my weight loss is noticeable. 11lbs lost so far and my face is thinner (have big round fat face usuallly!!) and I have lost lots off my tummy which is where all my weight sits. My trousers are starting to fall down now!!

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
11lb is quite a bit of weight isn't it Donna? Good to hear that you are really starting to notice the weightloss and so are other people!!

Well still 10 stone 1lbs today which I am pleased about due to going out to lunch yesterday.

I did have 4 strawberries with clotted cream yesterday :)

3 strawberries with clotted cream again this morning for breakfast.

Not sure about lunch but dinner is going to be liver and bacon with cauliflower mash :)

How are you doing today Smudley? when is the weigh in?

Donna
08-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I not eaten yet. Had a nice chicken tikka salad with mayo last night quite late so dont really need breakfast!!

Agree with Emma -we need a Smudgley update !!!!

smudgley
08-07-2007, 11:02 AM
HI girls.

Well I feel good & I'm not hungry or bloated which is great.

I was going to wait til Thu to weigh myself, but I think I'll do it today. We don't have scales at home so I'm using the scales we weigh the dogs on at work. :roll: But al least they are very acurate / calibrated. ;)

I'm at work now - so when I'm done I'll pop over to the kennels & weigh myself. Will post details when I get home.

I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks - so if I can get some weight shifted by then I'll be happy.

The fact that I know I have to post my weight on here is enough insentive for me to keep going.... thanks for the support guys. ;)

I haven't eaten today yet.

Having sausage for lunch with cauli / broc

Salad for tea with boiled eggs!

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 11:06 AM
It certainly does help posting our weight on here, helps to keep me focused!!

Did you always feel a bit bloated before Smudgley?

Looking forward to seeing how much you have lost :)

smudgley
08-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Not really always bloated, but after a meal would sometimes feel a bit stodged up... I don't now though. ;)
I'm finished here now.....off to the scales, won't be coming back over to the office, but won't be home for a while so you'll have to wait for the results! :-D

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 11:48 AM
arrggghhhhhh taps foot on floor, tap.....tap.....tap.... :)

Donna
08-07-2007, 11:50 AM
How long does it take Smudgley to get home I wonder????

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 12:03 PM
too long Donna!!!!! lol

Donna
08-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Well I am getting a bit peckish... nothad anything yet to eat...

might do myself a nice cooked breakfast!!

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 12:13 PM
lol I am thinking about having sausages, bacon and egg for lunch :)

Donna
08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Well I have got the sausages on, and gonna have bacon, egg and tomato to go with it. That will keep me going for ages!!!

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
hmmmm sounds good Donna, I am going to start cooking mine soon!!!

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
still tapping feet!!! :) Come on Smudgley...

smudgley
08-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Takes Smudgley an hour to get home from work.:)

Takes Smudgley 3 hours to chill out after her weigh in...:evil:

:? :( :? :( :? :( :? :( :? :( :? :( :? :( :? :( :? :( :? :( :?

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 04:08 PM
???? what is your weight now??

smudgley
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
???? what is your weight now??

11 -3 how weird - I feel good & I think I've been good, but I'm not sure if I have really been eating the all right stuff. :roll:

New tactics - this week will be healthy eating, but with very limited carbs. ;) So kind of low-carbing.

Can't believe I've had all those black coffees for nothing. :roll:

EmmaG
08-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Something isn't right Smudgley, I think something you are eating is higher in carbs that we think. Going to have a read of your food that you have eaten.

OK, personal question here, are you close to your TOM ??