Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
10-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #1

Is Posh blind??

I woke up to a strange cry this morning, although Posh was in the living room she had left the sofa and was wandering around the room and seemed frightened. I opened the curtains and her eyes were large, now they get like that when she is in the dark but the room was light. They have been like this all morning, quite dilated and she's moving her head around.

I have made an appointment with the vet at 4.30. I just know she has gone blind she hears me and I'm feeding her but she has lost her footing getting up on the sofa. She's purring but that can be a sign of discomfort/fright too.
Very worried.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #2

Re: Is Posh blind??

Dear Lord how very scary..............I have no idea but I agree the vets is the best option.

I think I would carry on with what you are doing leave her in peace and get her too the vets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #3

Thinking of you and Posh today .... sounds like you could be right. Good luck with the vet. Animals do adapt very well, although it is of course a huge shock to start with.

Cats owned: 2 cats - one torti-tabby, one black
acatcalleddog is Male
10-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

I hope it goes well at the vets.

If it's any comfort, our last cats (who died of old age last summer) had cataracts - which are rare in cats apparently (and ironically, considering the pun!). Frodo especially had almost white eyes which grew worse in his final 5 years - at the end he too was very nervous getting on and off the sofa, and he clearly couldn't see much. But he managed fine really, for an old cat. He occasionally almost bumped into things - but even at aged 13 he was quick enough to move Just in time!

Remember, cats use smell and whiskers far more than eyes - their eyes are not as good as ours, except when they see movement and at night.

Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

Oh no, poor Posh. Hope the vet can shed a bit more light on what is happening with her. Wishing you both well xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
10-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

Back from the vets. Yes, it is confirmed she has detached retinas, no sight in her right eye and maybe partial sight in her left. Our vet seems to think she has high blood pressure and this caused the detachment. Posh has had a blood pressure tablet this evening, needs further tests and bloods tomorrow at the main surgery/hospital. My poor babe is still a bit confused and is starting to walk around the house now, feeling her way.

I think I'm more upset at seeing her this way, she looks so cute with the big eyes- like the appealing way of cartoon cats- but I wish she was able to understand that it will be ok.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #7

Poor girl, good luck with the tests. I can understand how upsetting this is, but cats adapt remarkably well x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #8

sorry to read this PP.
Posh will adapt in time once she has learned the layout of the house, i'm not trivialising it though, you must feel dreadful x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

Very sorry to hear this, she will adjust given time bless her xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
10-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

Poor baby, sure she will adjust to it all..Big Hug from me...