Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
01-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #1

Cystitis

I think Harris will be going for a wee trip to the vet this week as i think his cystitis is back. He has been "yodelling" during the night again which was a sign the last time he wasnt well as well as running about hyper at night time just as we go to bed. He has gone off his food as well but have noticed that Skye is picking at hers just now as well. Checked the tray after Harris had been in and there didnt really seem to be much sign of him using it.

What is other thoughts on what might be causing his symptoms? Any help would be appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #2

Re: Cystitis

Sorry to hear this Pamela. Have no ideas Im afraid other than the vets as you have said.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

I'm sorry to hear about Harris' suspected cystitis Pamela. I think some cats are prone to it, but it is worrying to hear of it in such a young lad like Harris. It could be a simple infection of course which should clear up quickly with meds. You might ask your vet about reasons for recurrence and whether any further investigations, such as ultrasound may be advisable - to rule out blockages of any sort.

Catsey Veteran

01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

We had asked previously what causes it, the vet had said before when Harris was about 18months, that if he had biscuits with his dinner, that would cause it to re-occur so the biscuits were put in the bin to avoid it coming back, found out today that OH gave him a handful or so of biscuits the other day as a treat!! That may be whats caused it, been giving him cat milk to make sure hes drinking as he doesnt drink much water. He was given metacam and antibiotics the last time and it cleared in a couple of days. Going to change his food aswell as they have both just been picking at it and see how he gets on. Told OH to keep an eye on the trays todays when Harris uses them. Will give an update tomorrow though after ive kept an eye on him tonight when im home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

No idea at all - no experience of it but thinking along the lines of kidney issues - I would maybe give them wet food and add water to it.
But antibiotics etc sounds the way to go and see what the vet says.

Catsey Veteran

01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

i never thought of adding more water to the food!! thats a clever trick for a cat that hardly touches his fountain!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

It is a worry when cats don't seem to drink .... Kizzy is happy to use the fountain but Pip prefers his straight from the tap and has done from a little kitten - I have the photos! Do you live in a hard water area??? Silly suggestion but perhaps they would prefer bottled water if so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

Do hope hes ok poor wee man. Thank goodness ours are all good drinkers. When is your vet open again ?

Catsey Veteran

01-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #9

they are open again tomorrow. we changed their food and he ate it. Have also watered cat milk down and he has drank that. OH has said to keep an eye on him tonight and the morning to see how he is .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
03-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #10

How are things now?