Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #1

Monday afternoon

Afternoon all.
It's Very windy here today and rainy on and off.
We managed a beach walk this morning but got wet on the way back.
Sat in the window watching the sea which is choppy.
I'm quite a way into the dog training book now and am surprised by a lot of the ideas, they completely turn on the head some of the ideas I have.
Getting to work with the clicker with Kwame and making some progress.
Hope everyone has a good day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #2

Re: Monday afternoon

Hi Shelley - glad to hear that you are making progress with clicker training. I was all fingers and thumbs and made a complete fool of myself in class when we started, humans just don't have enough hands for treats, lead and clicker! Easier at home without the lead. I find some dog training ideas quite baffling, but put it down to sawdust in my head, don't know enough to decide whether something's right or wrong and of course, all dogs are a bit different.

It's gloomy here and we do have rain forecast. I've cleaned out the cats' room and just about to pop to the shops for a few necessities!

Have a good day peeps.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

Well afternoon all.

No work tonight so a "normal" person today I think I am going to have to cut the nights out they do not suit me - at all.
However today has reminded me life is not full of "money" but simple things. I have got up had toast & coffee, took Sal for a nice walk she is still limping I know its a bit of old age and either a touch arthritis or rhumatisum (she a Staff)
so a nice potter then back had a potter in the garden over to Waitrose and brougt some lovely fish (lemon sole, plaice and cod loin) then to the farm shop and brought lovely joint of topside beef and cut it in half now in freezer, pork loin with crackling (also cut in half and put in freezer)
Decided to have a nice lunch/dinner and have a chicken breast with mixed salad, red onion, fresh tomato, Ricotta stuffed cherry peppers, Sun-dried Tomato Antipasto,
queen olives in herbs, beetroot salad along with a nice brown roll. Have brought enough to have either a late dinner tonight or a lunch tomorrow, its gorgeous. And a nice glass of milk.

I was hopng to get my hair cut and coloured however the hairdressers have had a leak from the flat upstairs and closed so thats on hold till next week so may leave it till Sept now and have it done for my holiday.

Shelley do you know I have never read a dog training book in my life and never even seen a clicker let alone tried one. Maybe Staffs are just to easy.
Angie its not a case of knowing enough to know whats right or wrong its about deciding what it right and wrong for you. Jumping up some people fine it fine others ita a no no. Dog on furniture some its fine some it a big no no. What your ground rules are are right for you and your family and then right for your dog its consistency that is important no good one person saying yes sleep on the furniture, the other not on the furniture.

I find dogs remarkably easy mind you I find cats remarkably easy. Maybe I am too easy

I keep bumping into Stafford owners who say things like "can't get a thing off him/her" with a bit of pride I often think, however I would not think myself thats a thing to be proud of I think your dog should give up anything asked of them not run away with it. If I say "give" I mean give or drop. If I say "leave it" I mean leave it and do not touch it. If I call her I mean her to come not look at me or skirt around me out of reach - although I have to say I think dogs thats skirt round often have a reason for not coming straight in like a smack or similar coming. When Sal was younger I would call her and either walk the toher way or sit down in the grass she was always eager to either follow me or find out wat I was doing sitting down in the park.

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Wow just realised what a long post that was sorry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Angie,it's quite true that sometimes the more you learn about training the more confusing it is
What Karen says is right you have to find what suits you and your dog.
I am trying a variety of things with Kwame until I find the right fit for him.
Classes were great for Malaika but not for him.
I find books give me the support I need to try new things.
Karen your dinner sounds lovely, hope you enjoy it.
Rain here for most of the day, it brightened up at four o'clock and is still lovely.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
13-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

evening everyone,

shelley, glad you got your walk, just a pity you got soaked.
angie, the weather hear hasnt been the best here either
kazz sounds like you had a great "normal" day

i was doing a 10hour shift today. soo glad its done now. Feel as if im constantly not well just now, only juts getting over my throat infection and now loaded with the cold, thinking a day in bed tomorrow might be called for instead of giving everyone in work my bugs.

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela81
evening everyone,

shelley, glad you got your walk, just a pity you got soaked.
angie, the weather hear hasnt been the best here either
kazz sounds like you had a great "normal" day

i was doing a 10hour shift today. soo glad its done now. Feel as if im constantly not well just now, only juts getting over my throat infection and now loaded with the cold, thinking a day in bed tomorrow might be called for instead of giving everyone in work my bugs.
Oh dear sorry you are feeling poorly.A day in bed sounds just what the Doctor ordered.

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #8

Sorry you are definitely under the weather just now Pamela - there is a fine line between soldiering on and not spreading the bug about. Hope you feel much better soon. Do you take Echinacea?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
13-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #9

I've never heard of that before Angie. What is it? What does it do?

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #10

It's a natural boost for the immune system Pamela - it's extracted from the Cone Flower. You can get it at any chemist and even some supermarkets sell it. I like the fizzy tablet version.

http://www.euromed.org.uk/echinacea-...-benefits.html

You will also find articles saying the opposite! Guess it's what works for you and is certainly worth trying. I swear by it.