Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #1

Pip and the Pooch

There did seem a bit of tension in this interaction, but maybe just on my part. It ended in a chase - Monty chasing Pip. I think it's hopeful though but I would like to know your opinions, especially from those of you who understand cat/dog conversations!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #2

Re: Pip and the Pooch

Looks good, Angie. I guess most of the tension was on your part Pip looks quite relaxed and not too fazed at all. Looks like Monty had a little nibble on Pip's ear, fourth pic from bottom

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
23-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #3

they look good together!!! almost looks like monty is grooming pip in one of the photos

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

To me that looks really good interaction with a pup that young.
Pip looks totaly in control, and happy to be there if he wa not he would have jumped the baby gate and long gone, in the 4th picture down it looks as if Pip is totaly relaxed and happy and is actually marking Monty, like he does to your leg rubbing his head against you now marking Monty as one of the family.
Pips tail is in a happy relaxed position I would say like it would be is when he greets you, and when you have food, upright with the tip turned over I take that to be happy confident/relaxed well it was with mine.
Pip looks totaly interested in Pip but he is checking out the smells I imagine as Pip has access to all sorts of place/things that Monty can not even dream about yet. Hence the sniffing, Monty looks interested hence the high tail and body language, but he is still learning cat language chase is a dog/puppy thing mostly. He will leanr that looks excellent to me considering neither have lived with the other species before.

Pip as a cat who goes outside "knows about dogs" and I think head rubbing with Monty is a excellent sign of trust one that will be a beautiful friendship I think whereas maybe Kizzy will always be "in control of the boys, feline and canine"
A few more encounters like that and the pup will soon realise the cat is uninteresting and the cat will realise
a dog is a good source of heat/warmth in the winter months.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
23-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

Am no expert, but they seem to be doing fine. Pip seems quite happy and seems to be rubbing up quite affectionately, probably leaving scent marks like they do lol. Lovely pics by the way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #6

I'm clueless about dogs, but Pip doesn't look the least bit intimidated. How is Kizzy doing?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
23-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

They seem to be getting on great, some male bonding there, I think

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
23-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

I don't know about body language but Pip is looking very handsome and Monty looks a character. I particularly like the last pic

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #9

I think that looks really good - boys together type thing. Funnily enough when we got Timmy, it was Harvey that he bonded with. I think your Pip will be a very good trainer/role model for young Monty.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #10

I must say that Pip is the most laid-back gentle boy I have ever met - it wasn't him I was concerned about although I was concerned for him.

You know that putting a front "arm" over your "target" (for want of a better word) that cats do just before they go for the neck bite? Pip does that in play with Kizzy - just thought a couple of times that Monty might try it!