Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
04-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Well... I've done it...

OK, so after seeing all the happily settled brothers and sisters on here, and just how much my wee one seems to prefer having the company of another person about the place, I finally gave in enough to reach the 'enquiring' stage of looking into adopting a brother or sister for her.

I've looked at all kinds of cats in various areas, but most have wanted a garden, or to be homed on their own, or similar, and most of that is out of the question here! There was one which sounds good, but the shelter he's at is about an hour and a half away - which would make getting to know him and dealing with things if he was very unhappy here harder...

The place I've got in touch with don't actually have any info relating to the housing preferences of the cats they have for adopting - just a pic, name, age and possibly a sentence about them looking forwards to getting a new home: http://fifecatshelter.org/

I must admit, Snowy, the first pic to appear on their slideshow of cats, looks absolutely gorgeous - and at 18 months is the youngest cat they have online right now. Whether or not he/she would fit well here is another matter though.

I've just told them a bit about what I can offer, and am looking for, and have asked if they think any of their cats would be happy here... though I admitted that I still need to check up with the council to see if they would be happy for me to adopt a second one. I can't see any reason why not, but the rules are that you're allowed one animal, and have to ask for permission to adopt any more...

Now I just need to wait and see what, if any, response I get now!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #2

Re: Well... I've done it...

Oh good luck Squirrel! I am sure that Cloud would be happy to have a friend especially when you're not at home. I also think that you are wise to clear it with the council first otherwise you could be accused of breaking your tenancy contract. Once they've said yes, then everything is above board.

Hope it all goes ahead well.

Catsey Veteran

04-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #3

Thanks Angie... Have just had a response... Here's what the person on the other end has to say...

Quote:
I’m sure we could find a cat to suit your situation. I have a shy little black cat called Aimee, 3 years old who has always been an indoor cat, she has been rehomed, before she came to us , from pillar to post, she would love to be settled.
Then she goes on to suggest I give her a ring if I'd like to chat, and gives me a phone number...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #4

Good for you Kate, i hope you manage to find a little friend for Cloud soon.
If i were you i would check with the council, now and get that out of the way. Fingers crossed for you.
Aimee sounds good

Catsey Veteran

04-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

I'm beginning to think the local area office might be my next port of call some point this afternoon. Hopefully they will OK the idea.

Yes, Aimee does sound lovely. My only slight concern is how she'd be if Cloud were to get overenthusiastic... It might be that the shy-ness helps, in that maybe Cloud might feel less threatened...

Catsey Veteran

04-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #6

Not saying that Aimee won't be perfect, but my first choice would be a boy younger than Cloud. Probably only because that's how Kizzy and Pip are and that worked out well. Two girls together could be good, but not always .....

Catsey Veteran

04-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Not saying that Aimee won't be perfect, but my first choice would be a boy younger than Cloud. Probably only because that's how Kizzy and Pip are and that worked out well. Two girls together could be good, but not always .....
Mmmmm - that might be the easiest outcome on the level of getting them used to each other. Possibly not so easy to find a male cat of less than 6 months in a rescue right now...

Catsey Veteran

04-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #8

Obviously don't know about rescues in your area but from what peeps here have said, little black kittens are the last to find a home .... you may be lucky, I know it would be very easy to have your heartstrings pulled by a needy cat, just don't take the first on offer!

Catsey Veteran

04-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #9

*nods* that I can follow. Wonder what it is about black cats... I wouldn't have thought the traditional image of a witch on a broomstick would have been so strong. Superstition is such a strange thing...

Catsey Veteran

04-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #10

Yes, it's an odd hangover in a modern world. Anyway, I do wish you very good luck in finding a purrrrfect friend for little Cloud - don't you just wish you could ask her what she'd like?