Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #1

Fruit wood

All these ideas buzzing round my head for the cat room!

Both kitten likes to chew & as one of the apple trees needs pruned, would it be ok to put a couple of apple branches in the room for them to gnaw on or do you think its a bad idea & they might choke on bits of chewed up wood?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Re: Fruit wood

I have no idea; none of mine as kittens were chewers. A really good sized branch, about as big around as a leg makes a great natural scratching post, I have one all of mine have used. I don't think I'd try the twiggy branches if it were me ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #3

I would wonder if it were sappy, would it be poisonous? Don't know the answer I'm afraid.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

Personally, I wouldnt, just to be on the safe side.

Catsey Veteran

20-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #5

Hmm, thought afterwards they might swallow bits & cause an obstruction. Thats something definitely dont want! It was just after last week Amber chomping on the fig tree made me wonder.

Stick to safer manufactured items!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
21-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #6

Outdoor cats don't have problems with trees & bark so I don't think there should be any problem including a sturdy branch from your apple tree in the cat's room ~ it sounds like a lovely idea If you are pruning a big enough branch for the cats to scratch & climb on, even better!

But it may be a good idea to leave the branch in a shed or garage for a while ~ just long enough for any creepy crawlies to come out

I had a client with indoor cats & she did a similar thing in that she created a "catroom" ~ idea being to mimic the outdoors as far as possible. She included tree branches, & made walkways out of wooden planks up near the ceiling, with thick sturdy ropes hanging down, shelves with comfy beds up high, tunnels made from canvas tied round a metal frame, trays of "kitty grass", a sandpit. The cats had a lovely time in this room

Catsey Veteran

22-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #7

Oh thanks Wilbur you have given me some good ideas there, I will actually print them out to keep on my list of ideas

Im going to have to trim a large branch off the [eating apple] apple tree as it is stretching too far across the garden and low down with it. That is what made me think about bringing it in for the kittens

Speaking of insects - on Sunday night Amber was playing with something out in the conservatory and as I lifted her this poor many legged black shiney thing fell from her mouth, she was none too pleased when I brought her indoors - taken her away from her hunting spree and most likely snack

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
22-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
Oh thanks Wilbur you have given me some good ideas there, I will actually print them out to keep on my list of ideas

Im going to have to trim a large branch off the [eating apple] apple tree as it is stretching too far across the garden and low down with it. That is what made me think about bringing it in for the kittens

Speaking of insects - on Sunday night Amber was playing with something out in the conservatory and as I lifted her this poor many legged black shiney thing fell from her mouth, she was none too pleased when I brought her indoors - taken her away from her hunting spree and most likely snack
Well perhaps a bug-infested tree branch will be just what Amber wants