Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #1

Heat seeking cats vs ......

non heat seeking cats!!

I have one of each. Kizzy loves her thermal mat, and lying stretched out in front of the fire. She goes outdoors normally and doesn't seem to mind cold or wet weather, but she is definitely a heat seeking cat. In the morning, she always hugs the radiator just under the window with the bird feeder outside so she can get toasty and watch the birds at the same time

Pip does not use the thermal mat, neither does he seem to like sitting in front of the fire. He's not a radiator cuddler, although on occasion likes to stretch out on his daddy's legs, but I would say he is a non heat seeking cat. He is far more likely to go out in the cold than Kizzy.

Can anyone else cat-egorise (sorry!) their friends in such a way???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
26-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #2

Re: Heat seeking cats vs ......

Dylan seems to prefer the cold

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
26-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #3

pip is definately heat seeking! he always comes to lie on us and he has even lays on top of the radiator before it gets too hot! will defo need to get him a bed that fits over it!
mondo used to love lying under the radiator aswell, and at the window where the sun came in

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

I def have two heat seekers. Just posted some pics of them today.

Most of my cats have been heat seekers. Smudge was happy to go out and about, get wet etc but once indoors or out in the sun it was heat please!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #5

Cassie is definitely a heat seeker, she will sleep for hours cuddled up against a radiator....

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Mittens likes soft cold areas. Her thermal bed is between my freezer and washing machine in the kitchen which is the coldest room in my house! Skitz has a radiator bed she loves so she's definatly a heat seeker !!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

Most of mine have definitely been heat seekers, especially Leia. When I bought this house one of the first things I did was order radiator covers for all the rooms so the then cat, Su-ling, could sleep on them as he was accustomed to doing in my old house. Leia alternates between her thermal mat and the radiators, and a warm patch of sun when available.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
27-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #8

It seems that the heat seekers far outweigh the non-heat seekers.

But this shouldn't be surprising as our domestic cats evolved from wild felines that come from Africa & the Middle East, so they evolved to live in warm dry climates & haven't had the years of evolution to develop very efficient thermal regulation ~ unlike the Scottish wild cats.

But there are always exceptions & maybe the non-heat seekers just have a more pressing need to go out & hunt, play, patrol territory, whatever the weather, but in the knowledge that there's a nice warm toasty house to come back to

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
27-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #9

Both of ours are heat seeking ....actually they are now both trying to get as close to the radiator as possible lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
27-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #10

Ours like underfloor heating, they seek out the spots upstairs where the heating pipes run under the floorboards and lie there, getting lovely warm tummies!