Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby with ginger & a black & white
21-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #1

Do your cats follow you?

As I was having a shower earlier - with three dogs and two cats all rammed into the bathroom as they have to have me insight at all times- it made me think that I know dogs are supposed to follow their owners everymove but I have not had cats like Bhindi and Mitsy who follow me everywhere before.
I know most cats will follow to where they are usually fed but my two go everywhere!
Do you think it could be because I live on my own?
I was just wondering what others experience of this is.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #2

Re: Do your cats follow you?

You are obviously pack leader Danielle and perhaps the cats don't know that they are not dogs!

I have never had a dog and my two only follow me around if they want something! Generally food, but Kizzy now follows me if she wants someone to play with her and both she and Pip (strangely) seem to be very attentive when our bed time is due. It's almost as if they are telling us it's time for bed!

Not sure I'd want dogs and cats watching me in the bathroom

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
21-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #3

i get followed a lot! the bathroom does seem to be a favourite for some reason!! my old cat used to sit outside and watch, i'd have to shut the door!! my mums cat usually comes in the bathroom, even if shes been lying sleeping. pip follows me if i go upstairs or into the kitchen, incase he's missing something!!
the worst is my mums dog, he can be lying snoring away in the living room and as soon as i stand up hes scrambling up to follow!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #4

Some have, some haven't. Both my Siamese and my Singapura boys did; but they are very people-oriented breeds ... yes even to the bathroom. I live alone also, don't know if that has anything to do with it; none of my moggy girls do/did it. Not a dog person.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
21-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

Bronwyn is convinced that the bathroom is the way to narnia lol she HAS to be in the bathroom if I am in there. Also I do find that what ever room I am in...give them a few minutes and they are soon in there with me.

Example .... I am in the living room with my iPad and slanket , bron is on my lap and Arthur is by my feet.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby with ginger & a black & white
21-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. It is quite interesting. Mitsy seems to require physical contact as much as possible where as Bhindi is quite happy as long as I am in sight!
I didn't deliberately set out to have an audience in the bathroom but when I got my BSD, Pascha, she made it quite clear that closed doors were not a possibility by leaving me lovely 'protest poos'! It took me a while a get used to it but it makes life sooo much easier!
Maybe it is because of the dogs following me they think they might be missing out on something.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
21-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

harris follows me alot even puts his paws up on the bath if im having a shower!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #8

Alfie used to sleep in the bathroom and would protest loudly if asked to move.

Two kittens follow us everywhere, but I think it is just sheer nosiness!

Cali is now at an age where here people esp is fully developed and she only appears if there is a chance od food, walk or a visitor paying attention to her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
21-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #9

Kuan Yin only follows me when she wants something (like a door opened, or her water refreshed, etc.).
Hestia is not much for following.
Solomon follows me everywhere..usually chatting along the whole time too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #10

That's a Siamese for you, Tink! Talk your ear off