Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
09-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #1

Oliver growing up?

Oliver came in with a bird today again (it was dead this time). When I approached him, he started hissing and growling and ran outside with his catch. Its the first time he has done that. He has a squeaky miaow (think he must have been raised with a family of mice!), but it was a real throaty growl followed by a hiss. Does this mean he is growing up, and now ready for the dirty deed? He isnt quite 6 months yet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #2

Re: Oliver growing up?

He's learning to fend for himself, even though he doesn't have to. Cats are wonderful survivors and learn this first.

I am afraid both my cats catch birds on occasion. Pip behaves in exactly the same way as Oliver. If he keeps hold of his prey we have to chase him outdoors but sometimes we can rescue the prey. Yesterday morning OH rescued a starling from Pip. The starling flew off and was unhurt but Lord did it make a racket.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
09-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

My OH was in bed when I shouted that Oli was on his way upstairs with something in his mouth. He jumped out of bed and......shut the door!! lol

Catsey Veteran

09-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #4

CHICKEN!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #5

Timid Tess (now 16) jumped out the patio door and snaffled a blackbird once. She jumped back in looking more surprised than anything then let it go! My other 3 cats were quick off the mark to chase it but we managed to grab it at the top of the stairs and get it out, minus a few feathers, that was one lucky blackbird! Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #6

Had to laugh at your OH, Netty! Oli's just doing what comes naturally, not nice if it's birds, Leia can catch all the mice she wants IMO! Misty caught one sparrow in her almost 20 years, and I cannot believe how fierce my gentle little girl was with it ... growled like a tiger at Sultan who wanted to inspect it.

Almost 6 months ... yes, I think I'd book him in at the vet for the op ,,,,,

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #7

Sorry, should have said yes to the op - 6 months is the right time. Pip was done at 6 months too.