Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
05-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Tropical fish

Hi there, not only do i have Harris, i also have 3 tropical fish tanks. A 16" which at the mo has 4 platys in it, a 30" with 2 silver sharks, 3 harlequins, 3 neons, a glowlight, 6 penguin tetras, a plec and a siamese fighter fish and a new tank which is 4ft which has an iridescent shark in it a the mo but looking to add possibly angels and some other bigger fish. Would be interesting to hear if any other members have fish and what mxes they have in their tanks and possibly swap notes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
05-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #2

Re: Tropical fish

Weused to have a couple of tanks- one had a pair of pearl gouramis, one had a red tailed shark and some harlequins and our 4 ft one had discus and corys. The discus were great but the council change from chlorine to chloramine and we did a water change and lost nearly all our fish. Here we are on well water so the water quality worries us, and we don't have the time either.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #3

We don't have fish at the moment but i do like them.
In the past we have had tanks, think my favorites are neons and cardinals.
Marine fish are spectacular but there is a lot more work involved.
would be nice to see some pics of your tanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #4

We had tanks with gouramis and angel fish when I was a child; had a tank many years later with zebras, tetras, guppies and an angel, who eventually killed off the others as it grew huge, and died when the tank sprung a leak when I was at work. . I'd love to see pics of yours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #5

My OH and I have often thought about getting a tank .... would be a big learning curve so I am very happy to read any info about keeping fish.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
06-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #6

i have had fish since i was about 13 till the age of about 26 then had to give my tank away but steven was interested in them because i wanted another tank, didnt expect to have 3 though!!. I will get photos of mine up soon to show you them. they are great to watch and the learning about keeping them all comes once you have the tank. Lots of aquarium shops are happy to offer advise about which fish to keep together and how to look after them. And any member here with tanks im sure would be happy to help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
06-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #7

I have a tank with some fantail goldfish, white cloud mountain minnows, a bronze catfish and mollies. The mollies breed now and again so I am limited as to what else I can add. Considering setting up a smaller tank and moving the males into that.

Would love to add a shoal of neons. Had coldwater for years, this is my first venture into tropical. Love watching the tank, very restful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #8

Just a thought - how do you all protect your tanks from your feline fishers???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #9

Mine had a sort of semi-cover thingy with a light in it that prevented any little paws dipping into the tank. That was years ago, sure there is something more sophisticated now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #10

I have a hood that came with the tank. The hood has the clips for the lights A little flap can get lifted for feeding.