Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
18-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Clumping litter

Does anyone else use clumping litter?

Ive notced such a varience in the quality of it. Some is just awful & no matter how deep you have to really dig deep & hard to get it off the bottom of tbe tray. By far the kitts prefer the fine sand type texture

Does anyone find it actually lasts weeks? Even with cleaning through it twice daily i find i still need to change the whole thing at least twice a week

Also what do you use to clean your trays? At momement i use fairy liquid & disinfectant, should i use anything else?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #2

Re: Clumping litter

My litter lasts for weeks and weeks between changes as long as I keep the tray well topped up and the cats (3 indoor cats, 3 trays) don't seem too concerned by this.

I used Petex for the last 13 years and have recently switched to Pets at Home own brand which is really no different to the 'better' branded product.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

I use Cats' Best for my two, although I have to say that both cats now being outdoor boy and girl, they only use it when the weather is bad. I wanted a recyclable litter and I have composted this without any trouble, after having removed solids. I had no complaints about it and when it was in regular use I used to take out the clumps daily - they are flushable - and would clean out the whole tray once a week, although it could be left longer.

I washed the tray with detergent and hot water, rinsed well and then used a pet disinfectant spray.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #4

I tried clumping litter years ago and the two cats at the time disliked it very much, so I reverted to the store brand unscented clay. With just one cat my litter lasts quite a while. Clean with hot water and detergent.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
18-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

My two piddle as if it is a competition just now. I have gone from wood pellets to Catsan non clumping to Catsan cluumping and back to Catsan non clumping. I really don't like the clumping - find it difficult to extract the clumps and I think the tray keeps a residue. I tend to leave it quite shallow and top up during the day. Empty the whole lot at night. Use fairy and warm water to clean.

My plan it to use a litter quitter and train them to use the toilet! (we have a spare loo that's rarely used so I think this would be the best way forward.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
18-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

Sorry to be daft but whats the difference between clumping and non clumping? I use Catsan, granules, or at the moment Sophisticat (cheaper greyer granules). I tend to scoop out the solids and flush then change the tray when I can see where Posh has been, or when she refuses to use it- fussy madame.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

With the clumping PP, the litter makes a lump (or clump) when it gets wet - ie. when puss wees on it! In theory, it is easier to extract said lump ................... and more economical as (again theoretically) you don't need to change all the litter every time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
19-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #8

Thanks Angie. I don't think clump extraction will fool super sniffer ah well...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
19-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #9

I have tried out and now converted to Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Litter. It is clumping and lasts very long, just top it off too. All the cats prefer it as I have only one box with the clumping (have to keep that stuff away from the ferrets) and they all three prefer to go in that box..it gets a lot of traffic with the three of them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #10

I've never had but the one box; started with one box, one cat; when Misty came she used it too; when I got a third Patches also used it. This was in my pre-Catsey days and never thought of needing one per cat plus an extra. Mine weren't fussy, apparently.