Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Mixed emotions

Just thought I'd come on and let you know that I finally got a diagnosis for Hayley today. She has been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome While it's a relief to finally have confirmation, it's also devastating at the same time. Hence mixed emotions. It's been a long hard slog to get to this point and we now have to keep fighting to make sure the appropriate support is put in place for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #2

Re: Mixed emotions

sorry to hear that. At least you have a diagnosis and will be able to move forward. There are many suport groups and many different levels of Aspergers. One of the Occupational Therapists at my cousins school has Aspergers and it is such a frustration for her. Thinking of you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

I don't know whether to say sorry Alex, or to congratulate you on getting the diagnosis. As you say, at least having the diagnosis means that you and Hayley will get access to the support and services available. I hope that you can get help now without so much struggle.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #4

Hmmm I am "sorry" and yet not ....weird I know but I have to tell you Alex on the couple of three occasions I have met your girls all be it briefly they both come across as polite, intelligent, happy young ladies.
So the diagnosis while a relief of an "answer" as such is good; I would like to say lots of people have "something" be it twich to a missing limb....,...as long as she tries her best (and I am sure its frustrating for her not being able to explain herself as she wishes) then she will be fine shes well mannered and a credit to you and her Dad.

What you now need to fight against is that your daughte is treated by the education authority as Hayley NOT " aspergers syndrome Hayley"

All the best to all of you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

That's how I feel angie and Kazz, relieved and devastated. Don't know how I'm supposed to act or what to say.

Both of my girls are my pride and joy, and as you say Karen, polite, intelligent girls. Hayley just has her 'quirks' (that's what we call them anyway lol). But for a long time she has needed that extra support in school, which she hasn't received, and at least now that will change.

Hayley wants to be a scientist, and I have no reason to doubt that she will be so lol. She is focused (obsessed?) and bright enough to succeed at whatever she chooses to be. She just has to be taught the coping mechanisms she will need to deal with the big wide world.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

There is absolutely no reason for her not to be able to achieve whatever she wants. It will be others attitude that will frustrate and annoy her. I think what Kazz has said is great and practical.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #7

...... and has the benefit of knowing Hayley too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #8

I agree, Kazz put that very well. With the proper support there's no reason she can't flourish and do well ... it is a relief to have a diagnosis; not knowing is always worse. (((hugs))) to you all.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
14-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #9

there is a book out called aspergirls http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspergirls-E...7015368&sr=8-1 which explains aspergers from the point of girls/women who suffer it might help you out. It is supposed to be very good

Chin up and best of luck

Tilly

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
14-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilly
there is a book out called aspergirls http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspergirls-E...7015368&sr=8-1 which explains aspergers from the point of girls/women who suffer it might help you out. It is supposed to be very good

Chin up and best of luck

Tilly
That looks excellent. And this is the national association in UK http://www.aspergerfoundation.org.uk/

They do help/fact sheets right the way through to seminars.

Just try to make a balance I would think Hayley is Hayley and not the sum of a fact sheet.....I know you know what I mean.