Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Next doors Cat

Some of you may be aware that the Cats next door are banished to live outside at all times.
They do sometimes camp out in our house but since getting the pup this hasnt happened.
However with the cold weather one of the cats has been coming in through the cat flap.
The other evening she came in and Malaika heard her and set of at a run to chase her. By the time we got there Lulu was hunched at one side of the corridor and Malaika was sat at the other side unsure what to do with her once she's caught her
Last night we were sat on the settee with Malaika who was sound asleep and in walks Lulu bold as brass, she jumped onto the other settee, curled up and went to sleep.
This morning i again found her on the settee and put her outside before Malaika got up.
Once dressed i came into the living room and went behind the settee to open the curtains. I stepped on something squishy and there was Lulu again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #2

Re: Next doors Cat

Looks like she has invited herself in...poor girl....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
13-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

Well, Lulu has decided that she'd rather face Malaika's chasing than a night out in the cold and who can blame her-bless.
Cats are smarter than dogs, she'll suss out a strategy!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
13-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #4

Doesn't that just show you how desparate Lulu is to be in the warmth of your house ~ willing to risk the wrath of your dog & your other cats, just to be able to sleep in the warm. I think it's very sad that your neighbours don't allow their cats in the house.

Our domestic cats ancestors lived in hot climates, arid & desert-like conditions in Africa & the Middle-East. They're not equipped to live in cold wet climates so out winter weather is not something they can cope with. They're not descended from Scottish wild cats that can cope with low temperatures.

I don't know if you can approach your neighbours & maybe suggest a shed/outhouse with fleece-lined beds off the ground? It would be better than nothing, otherwise they may well find all their cats decide to go & live elsewhere!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #5

Poor little Lulu. Advice from Wilbar above is good. You know that we have had to exclude Harley from the house because of his bullying Kizzy and Pip, but he does have the old hen house to call home. He has a fleece lined bed in there and the whole house is raised off the ground. He seems to be doing well at the moment, but I may have to rethink his housing once the cold weather comes along.

How do Tom and Jerry react to Lulu?

Catsey Veteran

13-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar
Doesn't that just show you how desparate Lulu is to be in the warmth of your house ~ willing to risk the wrath of your dog & your other cats, just to be able to sleep in the warm. I think it's very sad that your neighbours don't allow their cats in the house.

Our domestic cats ancestors lived in hot climates, arid & desert-like conditions in Africa & the Middle-East. They're not equipped to live in cold wet climates so out winter weather is not something they can cope with. They're not descended from Scottish wild cats that can cope with low temperatures.

I don't know if you can approach your neighbours & maybe suggest a shed/outhouse with fleece-lined beds off the ground? It would be better than nothing, otherwise they may well find all their cats decide to go & live elsewhere!
I totaly agree with you Wilbar , the situation is very upsetting. Both myself and o/h have spoken to neighbour and spelled it out how cruel it was. Our offer of a box for shelter was also turned down. We even managed to find a shelter willing to take them both but they insisted quite rightly that she had to ring them herself. I'm afraid this didn't happen and we are left doing the best we can by them, but it's not realy enough.
Angie, Tom and Jerry are real gents and accept them both.
Trouble is 2 more cats is two too many for Malaika.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #7

I don't know what to suggest; a shame that it's so upsetting for Malaika, especially as Tom and Jerry are accepting of her. I cannot understand the neighbor's attitude,,,
Is there someplace on your property you could rig up a shelter for them? Poor cats.....

Catsey Veteran

13-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I don't know what to suggest; a shame that it's so upsetting for Malaika, especially as Tom and Jerry are accepting of her. I cannot understand the neighbor's attitude,,,
Is there someplace on your property you could rig up a shelter for them? Poor cats.....
We have been working on this for a couple of years now Eileen, when we had the two old men Dogs, the cats came in more. I can't understand her attitude either, i can't believe she's never taken offence as we have been quite explicit, we have tried allsorts but to no avail. One of the cats has a cardboard box with a fur in, this is in a dry spot of out outside porch. The other girl wont go in this but she does come in upstairs when o/h is on the computer.
Over the years this situation has caused us a lot of stress, on occasions me and the o/h have fallen out over it.
He may build them a wooden shelter for winter. I have decided that i'm going to take over worming and de fleaing them because if they come into our house untreated, our own animals are in danger.
It's so very sad and they deserve better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #9

I sometimes find t so hard to understand people. Why get animals and them treat them like that.

They are lucky you are willing to look out for them poor things.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #10

What annoys me most about this situation is that Shelley found them a place in a shelter - rare as gold dust, but the stupid neighbour would not stir herself to phone up. Those cats could have been rehomed by now.

Poor Shelley and her OH and poor cats. You seem to have been left to take over some responsibility for them (flea and worm) almost by default.

It's not the cats' fault, nor yours but you are all suffering. Are your neighbours right in the head?