Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
23-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

Thinking of getting new cat, which rescue to use?

well its been almost 6 weeks since i lost my wee boy, and the quietness and longing for a cheeky chap has gotten to me! i got him from cats protection at 5 months and because he was neutered, i donated more. i would like an older kitten around that age again or possibly a cat thats a year or 2(my boy was only 5 when i lost him so dont want to lose another cat again so soon), but my oh has never had a kitten (doesnt know what hes getting himself in for ) so we are going to try for a kitten. am i right in saying that the cats protection can give give you a voucher helping towards costs of neutering when of age? and i dont really know much about the spca, are they just really the same when it comes to rehoming?
my mums cat has been keeping me company for the moment, here she is!

her name is tigger, but i call her jungle cat! she always hides in the bushes and is camoflaged, and she pounces on her dog she likes bobbles, rubber bands, bags and boxes, and eating mice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
23-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

Re: Thinking of getting new cat, which rescue to use?

Aww, bless her for keeping you company.
Unfortunately I'm in the States so I'm not sure about your local rescue services.
I am happy though to hear you are planning to give a forever home to a little one and add to your family; I think it's so important to keep your heart open to love another even after grief.
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a kitten and it will probably be quite enchanting for your oh who has never experienced that before--good thing too, they're so cute at that age they really do get a hold on your heart even if they are naughty
Can't wait to hear an update of how it goes and meet your new family member

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #3

Try your local CP, I foster for them and at the moment have a lot of kittens...Where are you in Scotland???

Catsey Veteran

23-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #4

im in ayrshire, i had a look on the website i want to take them all! my mums on holidays next month so i will have her dog and cat, so was aiming for a date after then.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #5

I'm in the States too, but so many of my friends here work with Cats Protection that would be my suggestion; I have heard some not so good things about RSPCA.

Jungle cat is a real beauty: torties are well camoflagued for hiding in the shrubbry and pouncing, aren't they?

Good luck in your search for a new little companion to fill the void in a catless house ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
24-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #6

I'd agree that CP would be the best start. There are usually quite a few kittens around at this time of year. Do let us know how you get on.

I think a kitten is a lovely idea if your OH hasn't had one before.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #7

Good luck from me too! A kitten - such good entertainment and it's lovely to be able to give a forever home to a young 'un.

I look forward to hearing about him/her (or them?) in due course.

Catsey Veteran

24-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #8

haha just the one! i have enough with 11 rats and my mums cat and dog when her caravan season is on! yes, think i will give them a call on monday when im off! think i will ask for another boy jungle is a girl so hopefully when they finally get introduced there shouldnt be fights!
im just a bit worried about getting a younger cat incase they want to go outside, id like a housecat again. mym mums cat goes out and sometimes for day/s at a time, it is worrying!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #9

That's something about having a kitten - in my case, I bought Pip home at 9 weeks. He had his jabs in due course and then waited until he was 6 months old before being neutered and then I let him out. He had only been out before with me and on a harness and lead - so he knew where he lived. Whether it is as a consequence of being an indoor boy for 6 months of his life, he is now quite a home body. He does go out, as my cats have always done, but he is happy indoors - especially when the weather turns cold.

Kizzy was a rescue girl, aged between 1 and 2 years and CP advised to keep her in for 6 weeks, which I did. She is also a very happy homely cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
24-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #10

I would say Cats protection or RSPCA. RSPCA branches vary a lot, our local one is brilliant. All cats are neutered, wormed, de-flead, vaccinated and have had a general health check before they are re-homed, I would imagine SSPCA is similar?