Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #1

Feeding: bowl or plate?

This is an old question but it hasn't been up for a few years so thought I'd re-post it, as we have many new members.

Do you use a bowl or a plate? Any particular reason why?

I've always used plates, probably because my Mom fed our cat on a plate. Also, I read somewhere that some cats dislike having their whiskers touching the rim of the bowl as they eat.

I've picked up a nice assortment of mismatched small plates at the flea market over the years.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #2

Re: Feeding: bowl or plate?

I prefer bowls as Misty tends to lick food off the plate onto the floor... in a bowl its harder to lick food up the sides and onto the floor.... she is a messy eater!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
21-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #3

I have found that my cats really prefer a plate. The deeper a bowl is, the more they seem to hate eating out of it. I think they don't want to get their faces or whiskers dirty. What's funny is we have a lot of food bowls around here for the pets but not plates so I just end up using the human ones for them; I should really start looking for some just for them so we have more plates to eat off of

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #4

Mine have bowls - as Donna's explanation really. Food gets pushed off the back of a plate and left.

Pip likes to lick the gravy (from Harley's food) off a spoon! (held by me - yes I know.)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
21-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #5

Harry and Vinnie will NOT eat out of a bowl. I have no idea why not, but they refuse to eat in anything other than a plate! Harry is messy, so their feeding area is a total mess. Lola will eat out of anything!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #6

Cassie has a bowl as I find it much cleaner. On the odd occasion I did try her with a plate, more food ended up on the floor than on the plate!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #7

I've been lucky, no messy eaters with plates. Tink, flea market or thrift shops are good sources for plates for the cats. Dandy had a lovely English bone china one until he knocked it off and it broke

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #8

With 3 persians, each with different eating skill levels I tend to use both. Biscuits are in a deeper bowl as they get scattered all over the place . . . wet food I usually put in shallower bowls; not plates but little ceramic dishes which came with some desert or other which are about 1.5cm deep so the cats can reach the meat but don't distribute it all over the place either.

Milk I will put on saucers so they can lap it up easily and then I just wipe the residue off the floor when they're finished.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
21-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #9

I remember when my mom ran a daycare center; we had very hardy, plastic child sized plates (with Sesame Street on them, lol). Maybe I should start looking for those...though I do love thrift store shopping too! Another excuse to shop

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
21-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #10

All mine have cat dishes.....even at that they still tend to get some over the side...