Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Your cat's eye color

I noticed in PoshPuss's new Welcome Graphic that Posh's eyes are the same unusual lovely color as my late Dandy's! The color chart called it sea foam green ... what a nice description.

Sultan, Patches and Onyx had yellow eyes, Misty's were a deep emerald green. Leia's are sort of greenish-yellow: look green if she's sitting n something yellow, and vice versa.

Yours?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
13-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #2

Re: Your cat's eye color

Our previous cats have all had greeny-yellow eyes but Jason and Molly have pale blue ones. Their mother was a tortie DSH but I have no idea what sort of cat the father was, I don't think the "breeder" even knew. I also don't know how common it is for DSHs to have blue eyes, isn't the blue recessive?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Colour chart DM??

Mine have all mainly been yellowy green. Sid had lovely orange eyes which looked stunning with his black coat. His daughter Shadow had lovely clear green eyes, she was also black.

Don't know what Izzi and Breagh will have, just now it looks like the yellowy green again.

Catsey Veteran

13-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

CM, The fabric store I went to to get the material for the curtains for Dandy's cage at the one show he went to had a color chart .. that's where I got the description of sea foam green, always thought it was a lovely term.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
13-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #5

Kuan Yin's change from yellow to green depending on the lighting and where she is..Hestia is usually yellow..and Solomon's can switch from baby blue to blue-green

Catsey Veteran

13-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
Our previous cats have all had greeny-yellow eyes but Jason and Molly have pale blue ones. Their mother was a tortie DSH but I have no idea what sort of cat the father was, I don't think the "breeder" even knew. I also don't know how common it is for DSHs to have blue eyes, isn't the blue recessive?
So did I, MrsH. I thought each parent had to have a gene for blue even if it wasn't expressed. In my old neighborhood there were two coal black blue eyed cats ... stunning!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #7

Kizzy has light jade eyes; Pip's are yellowy-orange and Harley has sort of bluey-green. Both Harley and Pip have irises of two different colour bands but Kizzy's are uniformly jade colour.

Cats owned: DSH
14-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #8

Woody has really unusual mustard coloured eyes. I think a black cat with blue eyes would be amazing.

Catsey Veteran

14-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaG
Woody has really unusual mustard coloured eyes. I think a black cat with blue eyes would be amazing.
It was, Pippa. I'd never seen that before or since, they were absolutely gorgeous. I wish I knew more about cat genetics.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby with ginger & a black & white
14-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #10