Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #1

Acupuncture

We now have 3 cat receiving acupuncture and we do think it is helping.
Spice has been having it for a while now and I certainly think this is part of the reason she is still with us and fairly mobile ( considering her condition).

On Tuesday Misty was given her initial session, we decided to try because she is losing weight and after many tests nothing became apparent, although she does have spondylitis. We thought perhaps she is a bit sore and that is reducing her intake. Certainly on Wednesday she was jogging up and down the corridor ( she hasn't done this for a while), so fingers crossed.

Jimmy got his first consultation last night- he is quite stiff on the hips. I can't really say I see a great difference yet, but Jimmy is a strange cat and hard to read. Only over the last month can I say he has started to show any personality, so the jury is still out on him.

Jimmy and Misty are booked in for another session in 2 weeks time and it is 4-6 weekly after that.

Smudge, who we lost recently, also had acupuncture and it made a huge difference to her.

Why are we using acupuncture- because the 2 girls are in renal failure and Jimmy has bowel problems, so we don't want to start adding meds ( metacam) which can put stress on the kidneys and stomach.

How have the cats taken it- really well, they do get a bit bored at the end of 20 mins, but cope very well, not sure about the likes of Candy though who is a bit more feisty, but would give it a try.

So if your cat is arthritic and you don't want it on meds ( for whatever reason) I would say this is certainly worth a try.

Does anybody else have a cat getting it, how did it work for them?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
16-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #2

Re: Acupuncture

i dont know of anyone doing acupuncture for cats here in Oz... but that's possibly because i haven't actively looked... do you know if it can be of assistance in relation to weight loss in cats who are over weight?..

George is on a diet and has been for well over a year now... with very little sucess despite me being super strict with it.. to the point of weighing his food down to the last gram... he isn't inclined to be active which i think is partially due to his size and i have done everything i can think of to induce him to be more active... he has had ultrasounds and bloods done and there is nothing there that shouldn't be... its just that he's big boned and fluffy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #3

Having spoken to the vet who does it, he says it is only of any great use to muscular/ arthritic pain.

How old is George, I did read somewhere that (something like) 80% of cats over 12 have arthritis so if George is elderly and arthritic it may make him less willing to move, in which case it may help.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
16-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #4

he's 8 years old... he can move fast enough when he wants to... and doesn't "appear" to be in any pain... we have his food on a box that is about knee height.. so he has to jump up to get it.. he has to walk up and down the stairs to use the tray... and does so without any fuss... when he had his ultrasound and bloods the vet gave him a good going over to see if he exhibited any pain in his joints and he didn't get any unexpected responses so i dont know... he isn't interested in toys.. or catnip or anything... the only exercise he gets is playing with Harry... when he feels like it...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
17-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #5

I HAD my kitty Hetty treated with acupuncture as she had been injured and was dragging her back legs after several treatments (At the initial one she got very agitated at first so i had her resting on my lap but after that she was relaxed)she began to stand up and then to walk again The acupuncturist (a qualified vet from Perth,Aus)who is now located in East London at Blue Sky vets)came to my home to do the treatments it made a huge difference to Hetty and i would recommend it to anyone

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

That's really worth knowing. I haven't had cause to use it on any animals I have had, but I have had it myself. In my case, it was to try and stop nose bleeds, but I ended up having to have my nose cauterised. OUCH - I wish the acupuncture had worked.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
18-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #7

mmm, interesting about acupuncture for arthritis, wish I'd had access when my dog Bronnie was with us
We were offered aquatherapy though but couldn't travel there as she was too old and frail then.