Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #1

Adult Education

Does anyone do adult education evening or part time classes and if so what are they and what made you return to education or do you go for a hobby based interest?

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
19-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #2

Re: Adult Education

Funny you have asked this question as I am just trying to decide about wether or not to go back into further education myself doing something along the lines of childcare, to try and further my career from a Childminder into maybe working in a school eviroment if I can.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
19-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #3

I did a web design course in the evening at the village school. Don't know whether that counts but I found it really interesting and was able to do my own website because of it. I felt it gave me a bit of myself back instead of just being a mum (although that is the most important role in the world as far as I am concerned).

Are you thinking of doing something Kazz?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #4

last year i did my ecdl and realy enjoyed it. There was an exam at the end of every module and at first it was difficult cranking my brain into action but i felt a tremendous sence of achievement. I also use a lot of what i learned.
Could do to do something else but don't know what, maybe web design like you Kay

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
20-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
last year i did my ecdl and realy enjoyed it. There was an exam at the end of every module and at first it was difficult cranking my brain into action but i felt a tremendous sence of achievement. I also use a lot of what i learned.
Could do to do something else but don't know what, maybe web design like you Kay
I found it really good and it came in very handy with my cat website. It was only a 10week course so not too taxing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #6

Yes I am I did A level English and History a couple of years ago and loved them I am of the opinion education is wasted on the young...Anyhow I am looking into doing an access course..and the one I like the look of is Access to Health Science/nursing. the main units studied intrigue me Human anatomy and physiology. PsychologyHealth and SocietyBiochemistryReasearch and Study SkillsPublic HealthI am making enquiries at the Uni today waiting a call back not sure if I would be suitable as a student. I actually have ahankering to help people and Occupational theraphy appears to be really appealing to me now....maybe its the other thigs going on that makes me think as I watch professionals at work "I could do that" Speech theraphy also appeals, I need to see first if I could get through an access course first. Well get on it first.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #7

Good for you, Kazz, I'm sure with your empathy you'd do very well! I've thought about taking some fun courses at the adult recreation center near me, ceramics, jewelry making, that sort of thing, but haven't gotten around to it .. I'm a bit of a procrastinator

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #8

Good for you Karen, i wish you luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #9

Good Luck Kazz - go for it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
20-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #10

Over last few years I've done a few leisure classes - Pottery, Soft furnishings and drawing & Painting.

I feel I have to do so much learning and research as part of my job that I'd rather do leisure rather than further ed.

A few of the new recruits to our organisation came after starting out on access courses. They are a great way to get a footing on a new ladder so to speak.