Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #1

Hospital rant

bloody hospitals!

My daughter was booked in for a minor operation today under G/A. We have waited some time for this & she had worked herself up & was ready to go.

She was having the day off school & me & my husband have booked the day off work to be with her. We were to take her in at 12.00 noon.

I got a call this morning at 9am from the hospital cancelling her operation because they had no beds, how stupid. I'm very annoyed. The nurse said she couldn't help it and they'd had a lot of sick children come through A&E overnight. I said I appreciated that, but why the hell couldn't she have told me an hour before so that she could have gone to school at normal time. Instead I had to call the school & explain & take her in once she was dressed at 9.40. one hour late.

Rant over.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
06-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

Re: Hospital rant

*sigh*

this seems to be the state of affairs more and more smudgley. I feel so sorry for your daughter. What I can't understand is why this happens. Surely they should have spare beds kept at all times. A sad indication of the modern day health service. Number crunchers have a lot to answer for!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
06-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #3

I know how upset you are,and I feel for your daughter coz this has happened to me twice. Once I got as far as being in the hospital,all dressed up in theatre garb and the op was cancelled because the major op before me got complicated and took too long.I was crying with relief and disappointment at the same time having got all psyched up.

I work in the system and yes it has faults but when it affects you personally, its a different matter... grrr

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #4

It is so frustrating. It's a simple op that anyone else would have done under L/A but because she is so frightened they are doing it under G/A. She has worked herself up for it & was in a reasonably good mood this morning. Then when I got the phone call she cried because she wanted to get the operation out of the way. My other daughter has arranged to bake her a cake for being brave & will be worrying about her at school. I jsut hope they bump into each other at school so that Ashleigh can explain what has happened.

I know when she had a more serious operation last year (2 hours in theatre) my youngest daughter was worried sick about her. I just hope she knows that it's not happening afterall!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
06-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #5

Oh goodness, I do feel for you, how frustrating! So when are they going to do the op now?
There really doesn't seem to be any slack in the system nowadays, bed occupancy seems to be kept as close as possible to 100%. I appreciate that it may be more economical that way, in the past there always used to be a few empty beds in every ward though, and it was more flexible that way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #6

I feel very sorry for you and your girls Smudgley. Do hope the Ashleigh's op gets rescheduled very soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #7

Its getting worse, poor Ashleigh, hope they do not make her wait to long...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #8

How frustrating for all concerned...... now poor Ashleigh will have to go through the whole process of building herself up once again..

I hope they don't keep her waiting too long, Smudgley...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
06-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #9

Can only echo all the above. Hope the next date is not too far away and it actually goes ahead.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #10

What a shame. Poor Ashleigh. (((hugs))) to all.....