Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #1

Would you consider this?

http://www.dogfence.co.uk/products/p...s_for_cats.htm

I was wondering what peoples view are on this kind of cat containment, would it be considered as cruel or would it be a good thing to ensure that a cat can be contained safely within a garden?
I have a client in a similar predicament as Erin and Jerry, they are considering this as a way for their cat to be able to enjoy some outdoor activity with out being exposed to the danger of a busy road, again for them they have a shared garden and are not allowed to erect fencing or anything in order to ensure their cats safety.
I suggested a cat kennel, something like Borderdawn has for her cats. Again I am not sure whether they would be allowed this in their garden or not and if they were, would it be cruel to then have them outside but yet still confined in this way...
Any thoughts people????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #2

Re: Would you consider this?

Just seen the site. Note quiet sure how it would work . If you want you cat to have freedom say in the garden that possibity would be fine but it wont stop other cats coming in amd it doesnt give a idea of a price. I think cat kennels are a good idea though my brother has one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
06-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #3

I'd be worried about the collar thing the cat would be wearing, looking at the link I'd say if the cat caught itself on something chances are the collar wouldn't give and so the cat couldn't escape (same with the buckle collars really). Unless of course the territory didn't have any bushes or anything so the cat couldn't get caught ...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #4

I would want to know more about how it worked for cats ..... the link doesn't give any information on that

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #5

None of mine has collars on i tried them when they was babies but they hated them. Cats can jump which we all know so if you had a tree they could jump up too the highest point. The other thing is if you have it say 6ft of the ground and your cat climb that high would it make them fall off the fence and hurt themslefs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #6

I can't believe it emits an electrical shock - must be an auditory thing............ shame the site doesn't actually say how it works.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #7

I think this is a fantastic idea!
I can understand why the others have reservations...
You can adjust the signal fence area to be away from a tree, so that the collar is not an issue. I'd like to be there to supervise the cat, as others said it keeps your cat within a certain area, but others cats/dogs can wander into that space freely. Putting your cat at a disadvantage, cos can't escape that certain area.
If I had a garden, I would deffo consider this!
I would love to give my indoor cats some outdoor freedom, under my watchful eye of course and certainly not unsupervised due to obvious dangers it could pose to cat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #8

I would not even consider it!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
I would not even consider it!!
Can I ask why?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #10

The site was not too clear to me; if this uses an electrical shock as I believe it does for dogs, I would never consider it under any circumstances. Harness training is good enough for me.