Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
14-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #1

Indoor cats or outdoor cats- THAT is the question?

I have four indoor cats, who are spoiled rotten, who keep in great health and safe from harm. They have heated beds, wicker cat bunk beds, huge scratching posts, the best cat food money can buy, toys, regular vet visits and all the love a mummy can give them. A spotless gorgeous home. They are very happy loving cats...
Statistics say indoor cats live 'almost' twice as long as outdoor cats due to RTA'S, poison, exposure to viruses, cat fights, dog baiting, air guns etc. My indoor cat Gem who was put to sleep last year was THE GRAND OLD AGE OF 21... If she had been an outdoor cat, this 'may' not have been the case...
But am I right?
I do wonder if I am depriving my fur babies of a more interesting outdoor access life. I know as a human I would rather live a further short 8 years free to go where I wish, than twenty in prison, all be it a posh one lol....
What sparked me to raise this debate, is my mums lilac point siamese was pts in May, and last week she phoned CP to adopt a stray/kitten from them,( rather than line the pockets of a breeder like last time, when sooooo many rescues need homes) but they refused her on the phone because the kitten(who had NEVER BEEN OUTSIDE ANYWAY) was gonna be an indoor cat!!! My mum is like me, and would have spoiled that wee cat rotten, have CP denied a perfect home on a flawed theory???
Discuss.......
( I will be logged off today, but will be back this evening to see your replies- and sorry if this topic has been covered in the past, I am new here ).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
14-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #2

Re: Indoor cats or outdoor cats- THAT is the question?

Hi CW999,
I have posted a reply to yur original post and don`t know how to move the silly thing (sorry) , but if you want to look there.

Banned

14-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #3

Its my fault Leesy, not yours . I have replied on the other thread where I got the title wrong.

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #4

LOl Ithink we have made a bit of a muddle haven`t we with these posts but never mind we have got there in the end.
What a shame you have not got a garden and what a terrible shame and very maddening that somebody would be heartless enough to try and set their dog onto a cat walking on a harness.

Banned

14-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #5

I know, wee Gem did get a fright and I didn't take her out after that, and she didn't look for out either afterwards. The dog owner thought it was funny and called me a freak cause I had a cat on a harness lol. If I am a freak cos I love my cats, well I am a freak and a happy one lol.
Yes, I wish I had a garden, cos I would do EXACTLY as you have done and cat proofed the garden, and sat out with them to keep an eye. Your cats must be very happy x

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #6

Yes they do love their outside play time, my daughter thinks that I am mad going sitting outside and playing with them, she dosen`t understand just what enjoyment I get out of seeing them having fun and enjoying themselves

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #7

That happened to me and my bf earlier this year, we wanted to get a friend for Leo so went to the CP near me, saw the kitten I wanted and was heart broken when they said 'we dont allow kittens to become indoor cats, but you could have a cat thats already been an indoor cat that they have at the shelter!' I was so gutted and was thinking how can they say that, So they really want the cats to be outdoor cats so they can get killed!!! I sent them an email but never got one back!

Heres the thread

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=31393

Banned

14-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by janey83
That happened to me and my bf earlier this year, we wanted to get a friend for Leo so went to the CP near me, saw the kitten I wanted and was heart broken when they said 'we dont allow kittens to become indoor cats, but you could have a cat thats already been an indoor cat that they have at the shelter!' I was so gutted and was thinking how can they say that, So they really want the cats to be outdoor cats so they can get killed!!! I sent them an email but never got one back!

Heres the thread

I sent CP an email also, when my mum told me what they said to her. They did reply to me, but sharp and to the point lol. My mum really wanted a kitten as she had just nursed two older cats for months before being pts over the last year.... So wanted a kitten, as less likely to have health problems (though not always). But the good news is, I trawled the internet, and on monday she got a wee black and white 12 week old kitten, who is ruling the roost already, as an only cat child.

Banned

14-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by janey83

Heres the thread

Hi Janey, great thread.... Can I ask did you finally get Ceskey the kitten?
The mind boggles, WAY too many cats are kicked out the front door by their owners, and have to fend for themselves all day or night, only in at meal times. Being an indoor cat shows a level of commitment as an responsible owner, in my eyes... A closer bond forms, and you are more likely to notice if there is a health problem being an indoor cat.
CP never rehome kittens to be indoors in my area. They did say my mum could have an older indoor cat, but as I explained earlier my mum really wanted a kitten.
I realise kittens will always get homes, and CP will find it harder to rehome older or FIV cats. Which I suppose is frustrating for CP, and maybe that is the reason behind this 'newish' policy on kittens. Trying to sway people into adopting a lovely older cat, who is just as deserving...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
14-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #10

I have four house cats - Max is totally deaf and I stopped him going out over a year ago and as he mainly sleeps all the time he has nt really bothered, tho if the door s open he strolls out. Tess will go out but not more than a foot from the door and shut the door she s wanting to come in, Maisie has never been out, I put her on the grass once and she shook so much from fright, she s best off indoors, Felix goes out with me to chew the grass, he s fairly good really but would love to run off but when he has he does nt go far as its all alien to him. I have had out door cats and I have lost some to r t a `s - they have needed vetinary treatment because of fights, scrapes, and I cant bear the anxiety now of worrying if they are okay. I know the dilemma myself and there s no easy answer really, unless the cat is very stressed from being indoors (as one of mine was, you could nt keep him in he would howl and throw himself at the door so he went out freely) I think indoor cats are much safer. Jan x