Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #1

Fat Pets, Fat Owners

[Mods - I feel this really is a Health issue - I did consider Entertainment and Health and Relationships too as the appropriate place, but do think it should be here!]

Just to let you know that there is a mini series on Sky running on Thursday 16, Friday 17 and Saturday 18 July at 9.00 pm.

It's about pets and their owners battling the flab together. Evidently, 40% of UK pets are obese. The pets (cats and dogs) attend the Royal Canin Weight Management Clinic at the University of Liverpool's Small Animal Teaching Hospital and their owners go to the University of Chester's Centre for Exercise and Nutrition.

To quote the Sky Magazine "Likely to fascinate and rile animal lovers in equal measure".

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #2

Re: Fat Pets, Fat Owners

I don't have sky so can't watch this, but not sure I would anyway. I find these programmes so frustrating as I feel people who subject themselves to such documentaries are really attention-seeking for the wrong reasons and somehow perversly glorifying exactly what they purport to be fighting against.

(Just my opinion . . . )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
02-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #3

Sounds interesting Angie, but I am afraid I won`t beable to watch it as I will be away on holiday in Rhodes (yehhhhhhh)

Catsey Veteran

02-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
I don't have sky so can't watch this, but not sure I would anyway. I find these programmes so frustrating as I feel people who subject themselves to such documentaries are really attention-seeking for the wrong reasons and somehow perversly glorifying exactly what they purport to be fighting against.

(Just my opinion . . . )
Sometimes I agree Yola - but I always wonder how the people are talked into "performing" for the camera. In this instance though, I wonder whether alerting people to the potential hazards for their pets does make the whole thing worthwhile. I know I am overweight, but I have never overfed my cats because of it.

Catsey Veteran

02-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesy
Sounds interesting Angie, but I am afraid I won`t beable to watch it as I will be away on holiday in Rhodes (yehhhhhhh)
Good enough reason ............ lucky you!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Sometimes I agree Yola - but I always wonder how the people are talked into "performing" for the camera. In this instance though, I wonder whether alerting people to the potential hazards for their pets does make the whole thing worthwhile. I know I am overweight, but I have never overfed my cats because of it.
Me too - hence joining a gym As you know Balie's a bit of a bag of bones at the mo, but Myshka's a chunky monkey . . . so I constantly worry about whether I'm feeding them enough/too much.

Is there a direct correlation between overweight people and overweight pets? I'm kind of interested in the psychology of this, but I hate the voyeuristic aspects of how these things are portrayed in terms of 'reality TV'.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
02-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #7

Oh poppy cock!!!!

I am fat coz I eat toooooo much & move toooooo little.... Bear has had weight issues when he was on steriods for his bladder but since the willie chop op he is much better! Otherwise my Feline Tribe are optimum weight even Sullivan now we have shifted his beer belly (it's now just 3 sets of flabby man boobs instead!!!) Sexy!

Catsey Veteran

03-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #8

Yes, but ......... isn't there a proved correlation between fat parents and fat children, and wouldn't it be reasonable to ask the question if an overweight person does have an overweight pet? It probably boils down to not knowing much about nutrition, either human or whatever is best for the particular animal. All an education issue.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #9

I'm normal weight for my age and build; Leia is a bit on the podgy side, but not obese. Both of our faults: I think I feed her too much, and she won't exercise!

A study just released here shows that every State in the Union, including the District, has had an increase in the percentage of obese individuals since the last survey. Not good!

Catsey Veteran

03-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

Would you say it is an education issue, Eileen? Or could there be fault laid at the door of manufactured foods, where a lot of fat, salt and sugar is "hidden"? This could also apply to pet food.