Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
06-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #1

Feline excema

Does anyone else's cat have this? My cat (Pickle) has this and unfortunately there is not much information about this on the web.........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #2

Re: Feline excema

Yet another cat ailment I'd never heard of! I found this link informative:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+1332&aid=150

Hope it's helpful. I love the name Pickle!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
06-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #3

r u sure its not a flea allergy?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #4

Found this but it pretty much says the same as the one Eileen has posted.

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petali...ne-eczema.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki71uk
r u sure its not a flea allergy?
You're right; that is one of many causes ......

Catsey Veteran

06-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #6

http://www.holisticvet.co.uk/feline_nutrition.htm

http://www.alternativevet.org/cat-diseases.htm#miliary

According to the last link exema is all too often dismissed as a flea allergy, may be worth a little more investigation....

Catsey Junior

06-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #7

The vet has said it is excema rather than a flea allergy.

Tigger (my other cat) actually has a flea allergy (diagnosed) and when I first got her, she had tons of scabs. But she is showing no symptoms and her coat is fine. I have also run over both with the flea comb and both of them do not come up with any flea dirt. Both are actually regularly defleaed, and the carpets are less than 6 months old, so the flat cannot be flea infested.

I do actually wonder if it something in his food, but unfortunately he is renal and his food choice is rather limited. He only is allowed the Royal Canin Renal food.

Catsey Veteran

06-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #8

How long has he had exema? Just wondering if it maybe co-insides with the renal diet...
There is some controversy over feeding a low protein diet to cats with CRF, this is because all of the case studies were done on dogs who dont need as much protien as cats do.
There are many who recomend raw feeding for a variety of reasons, one of them being CRF. Might be worth looking into...
My old boy Winston had CRF and wouldnt always eat the prescription food, I would try to give him food with low phos content rather than worry too much about the protien.

Catsey Junior

06-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
How long has he had exema? Just wondering if it maybe co-insides with the renal diet...
I have only had Pickle since September of last year. He was diagnosed in September.

In October he gained a nasty sore on what was left of his tail (he had a very short tail at the time). It was then the vet said that he had feline exzcema in addition to the tail sore. He gave him some Betamox and a steriod jab, he stopped itching and the tail sore went away.

Fast forward to December. His nasty tail sore came back, again the vet gave him the same treatment, again the sore went and so did the excema.

2nd Jan came and he had a nasty tail sore again. The vet gave him more Betamox (including some for me to give him) and told me to come back in a week. No itching this time. Came back a week later and the vet said that due to his tail sore not getting any better (and him starting another tail sore) that it is better off amputated. Was amputated 2 weeks later. No itching. He also had Clavaseptin at the time too due to his tail.

A couple of weeks ago he started itching again. Only a little bit, but the past week or so it has become worse. From what sounds like it, it seems that the combination of Betamox and a steroid jab seems to stop him.

I am actually weaning him at the moment onto Hills k/d rather than the Royal Canin Renal , so if it is anything to do with the Royal Canin then that prove it. Certainly when I next go to the vet I will mention it and see what he says.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #10

My first cat, Snowy, had these symptoms and we spent years trying to treat a non-existant flea allergy. When we moved we registered Snowy with the local vet. I took him in about this, and the vet said it was a testosterone deficiency ( he was a castrated male) she gave him a jab and he got better. He did spend the next week jumping on Spats, but only had one flare up, got another jab, and was fine ever more. He would have been about 3 at the time he saw the vet and was PTS aged 15, due to bone cancer.