Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
27-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #1

Update On Max Cat -pupils

Hi all,
You might recall I posted about Max (now 17) having different sized pupils one day. Took him vets and she thought it was horner s syndome but was not sure why. Then a few weeks later I got up to find him unable to balance properly and for a couple of days falling over though he gradually got his balance back, and did nt lose his appetite! Hes still a bit wobbly on one back leg occasionally but the interesting thing is his pupils have now returned to the same size. If it was nt for the wobbly turn he had I would assume the horners syndrome was the type that just happens and clears up by itself , reason unknown. However,I am hoping this is a good sign! Jx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #2

Re: Update On Max Cat -pupils

Thanks for the update, Jan; glad to hear it seems to be resolving itself. For those who, like me, never heard of Horner's syndrome, here's a link:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2124&aid=2477d

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #3

That's very strange isn't it. I will have to see if I can find out anything about horners syndrome. The wobbly could be the result of a slight stroke - my old lad Merlin had what the vet thought could have been a stroke - he lost the use of his back legs for a few minutes and then was quite wobbly but by the time we'd got him to the vet the same morning, he was walking fine. He did not have anything wrong with his pupils however. Our vet told us that cats have a most amazing network of nerves and blood vessels in a ring at the base of their brains that can re-route very quickly and a slight stroke is very rarely serious for them and they make a complete recovery.

I hope your Max is similarly lucky. Please give him a gentle cuddle from me.

Thanks for the link Dandysmom - didn't see it as I was posting mine!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
27-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #4

My 18 year old Cuddles has one eye where the pupil is constantly dialated. The vet believes she had a stroke before I adopted her that was left untreated and she is probably blind in that eye. In any event, she is perfectly fine and healthy, happy cat. Sometimes she just wobbles a little when judging a jump but other than that you'd never know.
I hope it is something small like that for your baby

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #5

Tink, that's how I knew Misty had gone blind ....noticed both her eyes were constantly dilated and didn't react at all to light. She was so clever about getting around except for a bit of hesitation at jumping up that I hadn't realized it. She was about 19. Amazing how they cope, isn't it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
28-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #6

Oh yes, they can compensate quite well!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
29-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #7

Glad your Max is doing better Jan...hope it stays that way and he doesn't cause you too much worry give him a cuddle from me please xox

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
04-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #8

Hi Jan, glad to hear that Max`s pupil is back to normal now and that he is alot better, give him a big chin tickle from us please Pauline, Maxi & Maisy Xxx.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #9

Jan, good to hear Max is feeling better - at least having a diagnosis is a good thing rather than worrying about what ifs and might bes. Hope he continues to improve in the wobbly department!