Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: one bengal mix, 2 tabbys
16-05-2009, 05:03 AM   #1

Is She In Pain?

Hi everyone
First time poster, long time lurker.
Our family got a kitten last year, a very cute and loving bengal mix. Well, she's now just over 10 months old and is experiencing her first heat.

We had thought we would let her have one litter of kittens because we wanted another cat and had several people (friends/family) lined up who wanted one also.

Well, after she came into heat, i started reading up on this stuff more and realised that my idea of letting her breed with my friends tom, was now out of the question, because he is an outdoor cat and she is indoor and i read that he might pass on FLV to her. (not sure if he has it, just know that it's possible)

So we decided that we would get her spayed instead.

Sorry for the long background, but here are my questions:

1) Do i have to wait for a certain amount of "heats" before spaying her? Or can i do it as soon as she comes out of this one?

2) Is she in pain at all during this time? The kids keep "aawww"-ing, at her when she does the miaow, rolling on the floor, sticking her bum up thing, and i have to say, i also feel SO sorry for her. My daughter (12yrs old) practically accuses me of cat torture because i won't let her get pregnant because of this

Thank you for you help. She's a lovely kitten, still very loving and sweet and it's killing us seeing her like this, wondering if she is in pain at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #2

Re: Is She In Pain?

Hi, and welcome. Simple answer - get her spayed right away. She's not in pain but is confused and doesn't get her 'need' answered.

There are SO many unwanted cats that it's almost immoral to add to it by random breeding. Please, if you want a companion for your kitten consider taking on a rescue cat. There are many of us here who carry out voluntary work for Cats Protection so if you need any advice on this please just ask.

A neutered/spayed cat is a healthy, happy cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #3

I agree 100% with Yola's advice above.

Make an appointment to see your vet about getting her spayed. He/she will advise on the timing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
16-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

Hi there, as already advised I'd get her booked in for spaying asap.

She is not in pain - although it does sound that way sometimes - just upset, confused and trying to tell you her needs.

Please let us know how you get on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #5

I agree 100% with the above...please contact the vet for an appointment. She'll be a happier and healthier cat!

Welcome to Catsey, BTW!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #6

Just wanted to say welcome to Catsey really as i cannt add to what Yola has already said and agree with her whole heartedly.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
16-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I agree 100% with the above...please contact the vet for an appointment. She'll be a happier and healthier cat!

Welcome to Catsey, BTW!
Couldn't agree more!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
16-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #8

I agree with everyone else!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
16-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #9

Hya,and welcome-
I let Maisie go longer than I ever let my other cats as she is such a nervous disposition but after her yowling and rubbing round for a few weeks on and off, I rang and booked her straight in,she was fine, and the pacing and yowling stopped straight away. I would book her in Monday. J x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
16-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #10

I would definitely get her speyed ASAP - letting her get pregnant is a bad idea for lots of reasons, but mainly because there are so many unwanted kittens already, if you and friend/family want another kitten, better to get one from a rescue rather than adding to the number. Sorry to waffle, but as you can guess I 100% agree with Yola's excellent advice!