Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #1

Spice may have CRF.

I took Spice into the vet for blood samples today because I feel she isn't quite right. She has been yowling at feeding time, and although eating quite enthusistically, not as keen as she used to be. She is hyperthyroid and has a heart murmur, and it is over a year since her last basic blood sample. I am trying to make sure all the cats over 10 get yearly bloods done.
Anyway, she has a neck lesion on one of her teeth, so that may be sore, we need to wait for her thyroid results to come back, but she was Ok 3 months ago. The most worrying thing is her urea and creatine levels are up, not by much but both above normal. I suppose at nearly 18 years old and having lost her sister to it, I was kind of expecting it.
We have started her on renal diet and I must get a urine sample to confirm it is chronic, if so we will start her on fortekor. I am hoping that she is hyperthyroid and that once her levels are back to normal her kidneys will settle, but must face facts that she may be starting to age.
The vets did also offer putting her on a drip overnight, but I declined, I haven't noticed her drinking or peeing a lot, so didn't want to stress her, I hope I've made the right decision. I was worried she wouldn't like the renal diet, as Chokki, her sister didn't, but the vet gave me the tuna flavour and she's tucked into it. I don't quite know how I will get a urine sample when she live with another 7 cats, but I'll work something out.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #2

Re: Spice may have CRF.

So sorry to hear about Spice, Farthing, it's so worrying for you..

Elaine wrote an excellent article for us on CRF after losing her dear Winston to it.
Here it is you haven't already seen it..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #3

Poor Spice and hugs to you too Louise, my god you dont half go through it with your lot.
I am sure you are pretty well clued up on CRF so I wont get on my high horse , but should you ever need to chat, you know how to find me. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #4

I am starting to think CRF and older cats go together, so sorry to hear I hope all goes well.
Both Oscar and Cleo had CRF...but Elaine is the expert.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #5

Thanks, I will go back and look at Elaine's article, once I know we are definately dealing with CRF, see I'm staying optimistic.
Its been quite a crappy month, we have had a rat with breathing problems, a chicken was x-rayed on friday, only to discover she'd dislocated her hip and had to be PTS, a rabbit off its food and Deli's blood sample to see how her liver is doing. That is only the past week, Samson was also blood tested last week, and thankfully his blood results were normal, his thyroid levels were up so he is on a higher dose again.
I swear, its lucky I've got a good memory, otherwise I have lists of paper falling out of my pockets everywhere.
Sorry I haven't replied to everybody else, I do read your posts and wish you all well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
04-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about Spice, I don`t know much about CRF but I hope that she feels alot better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I am starting to think CRF and older cats go together, so sorry to hear I hope all goes well.
Both Oscar and Cleo had CRF...but Elaine is the expert.
I think you are right Kazz and am flattered to be thought of as expert but expert I am not.
Several of us here have been through the CRF rollercoaster and each and every one of us did what we felt was best for our cats. We all have experiences to share, what works for one may not work for another.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

I am very sorry to hear about Spice, farthing. 18 is a good age - all I can add to above is just think quality of life and whether she can take pleasure in everyday things.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
05-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #9

sorry spice isn't well at the moment... hopefully it will be just her thyroid problem making the rest of the results look worse than they are..getting a urine sample can be difficult... but with a little planning it can be obtained.. i got quite good at getting them from Tinky after only a short while.. it's all in the planning!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #10

I hope this all works out well.
It's a problem when our lovelies reach old age