Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
27-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #1

Suspicious lump

I found a lump on Baby Bear. I looked at the anatomy charts online and it feels like it is in the spleen area. My first thought is enlarged spleen but I could be wrong. I've only been a ferrent for a year and some change so I really don't have enough experience. The only serious thing I've gone through to date is Baby Bear almost dying from severe anaphylactic shock. Other than that I've had normal kids, so this is new for me.
I called his vet (who is FANTASTIC and I have a lot of faith in) and the soonest I could get him in is Saturday, May 9th. Since it doesn't seem like an emergency and he is acting fine otherwise I am okay with that and willing to wait for her expertise.
The only thing I've noticed is some days he is not so much lethargic, I'd call it lazy. But I figured it might just be because he's growing up and not a kit anymore (he's only a year and a half). He does still play just not like he did when he was a kit which could be perfectly normal.
To be honest with you though, I've always had this gut feeling about him that if anyone is going to get anything serious it will be him. I can't explain why, it's just this feeling I get. He's always been a little "different" to me but then again he was my first ferret and maybe that's why.
I am rambling, just thinking out loud. Guess I won't know anything for sure till the vet. Even if she thinks it's nothing I'm going to get his blood workup done no matter what...just for peace of mind about that gut feeling I have.
I'm preparing myself for all kinds of things though...guess we'll just wait and see.
Thanks for listening.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #2

Re: Suspicious lump

I'm sorry that you are obviously worried about baby bear. You've established a good relationship with your expert vet and told her what you've found. I think you have to trust that if she isn't treating it as an emergency then you will just have to try and be patient. Very difficult. You know we are all here to listen to you Tink. Please give BB a gentle cuddle from me and Kizzy.

Catsey Veteran

28-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #3

Thank you. This is the info I'm reading right now about enlarged spleen with ferrets.
http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/med/spleen.html

This is the part that particularly scares me

"2. Causes for splenomegaly: Lymphosarcoma, insulinoma, cardiomyopathy, adrenal neoplasia, Aleutian disease, eosinophilic gastroenteritis, systemic mast cell neoplasia, hemangiosarcoma, splenitis, and hypersplenism. "

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
28-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #4

I have to agree with Angie Tink... The other thing that springs to mind for me is how is his eating and toileting in recent days...? because all of their little organs are so close together...if he is constipated or just has a full bowel and hasn't been.. it could push against other organs making them stand out a little more..just a thought... the other thing you could do is in the lead up to your visit with the vet is to carefully feel where the lump is and even measure it if you can and see if it changes that way when you get to the vet you will be able to inform her of as many observations as you can
Its hard i know but ry not to worry too much
take care

Catsey Veteran

28-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #5

Thanks. He is eating and toileting fine so that makes me feel better as far as waiting till the ninth. However he has gained some weight recently so maybe the fat is making the organ protrude a bit? Good idea on measuring it, think I will do that.
My two biggest fears are lymphoma and insulinoma. Hopefully I am just being paranoid. He is my Waardenburgs Syndrome baby so I've always coddled him. I just get the feeling his immune system isn't up to par with the other kids. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #6

Hey, Tink, all I can say is fingers crossed here that everything will be OK ...you know we want to keep informed about the little guy. (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #7

Fingers crossed that all will be OK - maybe the lump will even have disappeared y the time your appointment comes around?
Don't drive yourself crazy reading too many learned papers in the interim.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
28-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #8

I hope BB is ok Tink. Good advice above which it would be daft of me to repeat over, but please don't worry yourself over what may and may not be.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #9

Really hoping all will be well with Baby Bear, Tink ......... stay positive...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
29-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #10

Hi Tink, hope that everything is going OK with Tink and good luck at the vets when you go I am sure it will be something and nothing, try not to worry