Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
25-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #1

More advice please re Max

I posted about my 16 year old cats third eye lid and small pupil and subsequent vets visit. When I got up this morning I was alarmed to find Max toppling over and falling off the work surface as he attempted to jump up in his hurry for food - as is usual I am afraid with him, he gets so hungry! He is toppling over as he walks, exactly like a cat recovering from anaesthetic and wobbly when walking til the effects wear off. He is eating and drinking plenty despite having problems balancing to get to the plate/bowl - once sitting down he seems okay sleeping. I eventually spoke to the vet I saw the other week and she advised me to wait and see how he is as he appears okay in his self. It might be ear/brain inbalance or something which can do that for a few days or a blockage in the rear legs which if it is must be mild as its a painful condition. His eye is exactly the same - maybe the third eyelid is less obvious at times he is wide awake than it was previously. It is horrible to watch him as he falls over and has hit his head a few times like getting out the litter tray, attempting to jump up on the side, even falling sideways off his cushion and hitting the fireplace. Leaving him and other older puss in the lounge tonight, less hopefully to hurt him self on than the kitchen? His back left leg appears to drag a bit as he is walking along too, its his right eye by the way. The vet suggested steroids might boost him up for a bit if no improvement or further deterioration I presume. Any advice as before, will be gratefully received and the moral support as its so sad. Thanking you Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
25-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #2

Re: More advice please re Max

Sorry to hear about your cat, but I think I would be taking him straight to see the vet for an examination in the morning if he were mine.

Good luck.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Balinese & 9 others
25-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #3

I would too, sounds like an imbalance or trapped nerve, but I'd get the vet to take a look and if not happy get a second opinion as something is obviously wrong.

Hope he gets better soon, keep us updated

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #4

How sad! Vet visit ASAP; hope it's something that can be treated. (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
25-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #5

Yes I am afraid that I agree with everybody else that the best thing to do is to go for a visit to the vets, the risk is that it could be something easily treatable and the longer you leave putting off the visit if he is falling off things and banging himself he could cause himself a serious injury .
Hope that he gets better soon and give him a big cuddle and a chin rub from all of us here a Catsey

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
25-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #6

I think you should get him to a vet ASAP.
If he has an ear infection he needs antibiotics, and if it is due to some swelling, he needs steriods.
It sounds like you vet also thinks it may be an illiac thrombosis, this is serious, can be very painful and needs to be seen to, and it can get worse.
Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #7

I am so very sorry to be reading this Jan but as the others have said, get him to the vet asap.
Hind leg weakness and lack of co-ordination can be caused by a variety of things from constipation, anemia, low potassium, high phospherous, metabolic acidosis, diabetic nueropathy, heart problems (saddle thrombosis) and neurological issues. It may well be that there are a combination of things going on.
I trully am very sorry xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #8

So sorry for you and Max. I'm with advice above - vet asap.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #9

Please do let us know what the vet says, poor Max. Hope they can get it sorted quickly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #10

Have to add my voice to the above - vet asap. And don't let them put you off with leave it a day or two.

Please keep us posted and hope it can be resolved.