Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
20-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #1

Cats - breeding

My kitten Tiger-Lilly is in season. It's quite distressing really to watch & hear her. She has been going outside a lot now & obviously can't go out to play anymore, it's really quite horrible that she is such a young baby herself, yet she is now sexually mature to breed.
My friend thinks that it's a sad twist of nature, that cats are such prolific breeders (& seasonal ovulators) considering the way of life they have ..... yet dogs who live in a more controlled way, are much harder to breed & less frequent with their cycle.
This morning, out they all trotted as usual but we had to hold back the pumpnin and keep her in.... Then the local smelly Tom cat comes & sits on the doorstep screaming after her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #2

Re: Cats - breeding

Shame poor baby. I dont like seeing them in heat, they just look really distressed and uncomfortable to me.
One of my clients has a tiny, tiny tabby girl, a baby herself as 6 months, who is currently in heat. They did want her to have a litter but I think I put the fear of god into them as the cat flap is currently blocked off and all doors are closed tightly shut so she cannt get out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
20-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #3

I think it's horrible, I remember Emily & Smudge having seasons but it was a few years ago. I don't think Bluebell had a season before she was spayed. But baby Lilly is just a kitten, she looks confused and frustrated. I don't like it. She has a good routine now too, which we've obviously had to change!
I like them to mature a bit before being spayed & would rather she wasn't done too young, but I think I will book her in for as soon as possible. {Don't want any baby-pumpnins}

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #4

I've only ever had two ladies and I don't remember any seasons, so I guess they must have gone under the knife early.
I agree with your analysis Smudgley - dogs and cats are very different.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #5

Poor baby - it's not fair. Still, she's got a kind home and people who will make sure she's all right until she can be spayed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #6

Patches and Leia had been spayed I got them; Misty was the only female I had that went into heat (at 5 months!), and I agree she seemed unhappy and frustrated, as Sultan had been neutered and was of no help to her! Thank God! Poor Pumpnin!

Catsey Veteran

20-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #7

Poor Sultan also, must have been quite confusing for him also.
Eva was also spayed before she came into season.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #8

Is 5/6 months generally the age? Sorry to be ignorant.

Catsey Veteran

20-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Is 5/6 months generally the age? Sorry to be ignorant.
Pretty much Angie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
20-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #10

Oh bless her. Of mine only Kiara really made a fuss of her season, the others hardly behaved any differently to normal, just a little more vocal and the boys were all done anyway and as they have never seen a cat in season while being entire they have never bothered. Glad they are all done now mind, Kiara used to drive me INSANE with hers. She never came in 'til after her first birthday mind, unless she had a silent one before that.