Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
03-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #1

SSPCA accuses RSPCA...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7865965.stm

Until a Catsey member on here mentioned that money donated to the RSPCA doesn't help animals in Scotland, I was completley unaware of this. Whilst I don't like companies or charities that slander one another, I think this news article and the SSPCA's adverts will do a lot of good to make people in Scotland more aware. When I was younger I did donate my pocket money to the RSPCA completely unknowingly...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: SSPCA accuses RSPCA...

I must admit that I did not realise this myself, why can`t there just be a charity so as not to cause confusion that money raised is spread out evenly to all areas, surely this would be alot easier

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #3

Would never give a penny to the RSPCA anyway, this is just another nail in the coffin. They'd rather spend their money on posh new offices and new computers and comfy office chairs and parties than the animals they apparently can't afford to build any more centres for. I really have very little respect for them as an organisation at all.

Almost a Veteran Member

03-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #4

Very interesting random, do you have a web link to any info on RSPCA that covers what you mentioned?

And are the SSPCA equally bad or do they have a better reputation?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #5

These sorts of things make me think ......... OH and I have several charities named in our Wills and I think we should change it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
03-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Very interesting random, do you have a web link to any info on RSPCA that covers what you mentioned?

And are the SSPCA equally bad or do they have a better reputation?
No I don't have a link Meep as it's not supposed to be public knowledge, all behind closed doors and all that. I know someone who used to be a pedigree (dog food) rep and would work with people from the RSPCA and got this 'inside info'. Another thing, when you donate beds and toys to the RSPCA, depending on the branch of course, but a lot of branches give their staff 'first choice'. Anything they want from the donated good they can have for their own dogs. Not saying that it happens in all branches but it did come from the mouth of an RSPCA worker and that 'most branches let you take stuff you want from the dontaions'. Some people donate expenisve beds and things and the poor dogs intended never even get to sniff them.

Also, just going from my own and other's experience with their complete unwillingness to help animals in need, or them PTS old, stray and ill animals they think don't deserve a chance, don't get me started. I have many of my own experiences when I have asked for their help with animals in need and got back nothing. A staffy locked in a car on hot days, no window open or nothing, would be in the same place everyday for about an hour a time for about 2 weeks as I used to walk my dogs at the same time and pass him everyday, RSPCA didnt think that was urgent enough to investigate, after multiple calls, emails and letters I had to interveine myself and have a word with the owners and explain what danger they were exposing their dog to. Turned out they weren't nasty, just numpties, but so easily could have resulted in a dead dog.

Go over to Dogsey and start a thread asking about people's experiences with the RSPCA and what they think of them, you will get people on both sides but will certainly hear some eye openers.

I have no direct experience of the SSPCA so cannot comment either way.

Almost a Veteran Member

03-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #7

That's all really interesting random, thanks for going into detail about it. The poor dog in the car well done you for stepping in.

I've not heard anything said about the SSPCA but I really haven't come into contact with anyone regarding it.

I know people mutter about the CP sometimes. One thing which I thought was strange was when I asked whether my two boys would come with their own beds, she said no. I know they came from a previous owner, not strays, and I thought it strange that she'd throw out the bed rather than give it to the CP to give on to the next owner. If I ever (but I never wil!) had to hand my two into the CP I'd give them all their toys and beds. I do remember wondering whether the CP get all these things but keep them for their own cats... The Glasgow branch doesn't have a shelter, just foster homes.

It is so hard to find charities that you can donate too and be completely confident that your money is going to good use. It really annoys me when I walk down the high street at night, and every night the Oxfam shop has their window display lights on all night. Every penny counts and the cost of lighting a window throughout the night is an additional cost that is entirely unnecessary.