Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #1

President Obama's Inauguration

Thought I'd start a thread about this momentous occasion and ask what did people think?

I watched it on TV, and found his speech to be full of hope, although obviously he didn't skip on the huge challenges ahead. Obviously we now have an America whose government will join with other nations in trying to combat climate change.

I also loved Elizabeth Alexander's poem. Must be the grandest occasion ever for poetry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #2

Re: President Obama's Inauguration

I was very moved by the ceremony and what it represented, a peaceful transfer of power and new hope on a very historic day. Loved the poem also. Actually a poet is a fairly new tradition at an Inauguration; think it's great. I was very annoyed at Aretha Franklin's rendition of America the Beautiful...a gorgeous moving song when sung properly as it was written, without all the embellishments and vocal touches she added! Bah humbug! And this is admittedly petty and partisan of me, but wasn't it great seeing Bush leaving forever?!! The Inaugural Address to the people and the world was well written and delivered. Anyhow, that's this American's opinion; would love to hear what you all think.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: All types
mattde is Male
20-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #3

I'm gutted, put the TV on and sat on the sofa, watched the first bit with all the old presidents and family coming in. I Then woke up with the cats sleeping on my legs and Obama speech being replayed on the news.

Going to watch it again at 10:00

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #4

I was glued to the screen and thought it was a great historic ceremony.....the crowds there were amazing. It was good to see the past Presidents too, I thought Bush looked slightly uncomfortable on his last day....... or maybe it was rather emotional for him.

President Obama is a great orator and comes across as a very strong man who will work hard to meet the challenge ahead and I imagine he will get along very well with other world leaders. His Inaugural Address was superb and must have given inspiration to the people of America and the world.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #5

Eileen, has there been anymore news about Teddy Kennedy health after his collapse during the lunch held to mark President Obama's inaugeration?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #6

Six hours later I finally pull myself away from the tv I have been sitting glued since 4pm this afternoon, didn't want to miss any of it, and I even made the girls watch the swearing in lol. A momentous occasion, so nice to see such a young family in the White House, although, being neither a democrat or a republican, I did have a soft spot for old 'Dubya' But it will be good to see what change President Obama brings!

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #7

Mags, Last bulletin on the TV about an hour ago said Kennedy was recovering in hospital from the seizure and resting comfortably. I do pray he'll be all right, but brain tumors are dreadful things ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #8

Its wonderful to see a fresh young man in the white house...Loved his speech, very articulate, very professional....He is just what America needs.....
I personally could not stand that old dinasour Bush!!!

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #9

Moli, I couldn't agree with you more, but must stop being so partisan now that we have a new President who's emphasizing cooperation rather than confrontation!!
(But the old liberal me says "good riddance"!!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #10

I will second that Eileen!!!!Just heard on the news Kennedy is sitting up laughing, so they say he is recovering thak goodness....