Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
29-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #1

Older dogs and new additions?

We have been only now been told by a vet that Milo is infact probably 11 instead of 8 years old like I was lead to believe. Being a rescue dog it is hard to tell I guess. Anyway, Mr M had a thought that maybe getting a puppy would be company for the old boy and to bring out the young boy in him?

We havent discussed it seriously as yet but just wondered what your thoughts were on this? Do you think it would be company for him and to give him a new lease of life (Daft as a brush is Milo) or would it upset him? Would getting another dog in time be a good transition to help us and the children went Milo finally goes.

Here's the old boy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #2

Re: Older dogs and new additions?

Sorry Matron - I have never had a dog and don't know! But being pack animals and totally different from cats I expect they would react better than say an elderly cat would. I would never be tempted to bring a kitten into the house while I still have dear old uncle Merlin.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #3

Milo looks like a happy contented dog....something tells me he get on with anything on four legs or two....is that right.

What breed are you looking for or at? a rescue or private brought?... an adult or young adult or Pup? Dog or bitch?

I imagine Milo would be fine with any you choose...but what do you want from your dog...I mean your children are young aren't they so will they in a year or so be holding the lead is so the size may be the factor that decides...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

We've done it once. Elderly rescue Heinz 57 bitch, calm and accepting, paired with sweet biddable Staffie bitch pup(and children of 5 & 6). She must have been 9 at least (as you say, it's difficult with rescues unless they happen to have a full history)
It was wonderful. She played like we had never seen her play before - indeed she had a whole 'second life'.

But that's just my story. Hope others may give you theirs (or maybe go and ask the experts on Dogsey?)

Catsey Senior

29-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #5

Thanks DM for your experience and yes i may take a look on dogsey.

Milo gets on with anything and everybody. We think if we did get another dog then it would be another Lab because I like the size and temperment. Moulting is another matter though lol.

We have been fantastically lucky with Milo being a rescue dog as so many have "problems" through no fault of their own

I think we will seriously discuss it maybe in the new year. It would be great to hear of any other advice though so keep them coming

Thanks again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
29-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #6

I introduced Mollie to my 15 year old Staffie, and it did give the old girl a new lease of life, she started going out for walks again...become a lot more interested in eveything....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #7

I dont own a dog of my own but as a dog walker, the old boy Toby Williams doesnt really care for puppies jumping and clamering on him, either does my sisters Lab, Holly. Toby being around 9 or 10 and Holly being 8.
I am always here to put a dampner on these things aren't I? I dont mean to but it's always best to look at these things from all angles.
That said, you are not a stupid woman and I am sure you would take the time and care to introduce them well.
Many people have great success with these things but there are so many others that end up with more problems than they had intended.
All the very best and look forward to hear how things progress.

Catsey Senior

01-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #8

Hubby has talked me round and we are going to look at a litter of pups tomorrow!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matron
Hubby has talked me round and we are going to look at a litter of pups tomorrow!
What are you going to look at???

Catsey Senior

01-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #10

Some Labradoodle pups. All the rescue centres won't let us rehome a pup/ young dog due to the ages of my children therefore we shall have to go down the private sale route.

We are very attracted to this breed so we shall see. They are only just down the road to us too.