Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
02-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Presidential Elections

Well thankfully it all comes to an end this tuesday Is anyone else as sick fed up as I am of all the seemingly endless coverage? Although I'm sure what we have is nothing compared to you Eileen lol.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
02-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #2

Re: Presidential Elections

I'm living it and breathing it daily here as hubby is very into his politics!

Thank goodness I'm doing a night shift on Tuesday night although I really hope Obama wins

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #3

I think its fascinating............but a little long winded I wonder if that started back before communication was so easy....I mean the USA is a big county to get round and canvas support.

I wonder who will win?????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
02-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #4

If I could vote, Obama would get mine. Just 'cause he's a younger man and I'm sick of seeing old guys in the WH lol!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #5

You cannot possibly be as sick of our Election as I am...the campaigning starts too soon and goes on and on and on....seemingly forever! As a liberal I'm of course for Obama (although I think we should have nominated Hillary Clinton!!), and cannot wait to see the end of the Bush administration, the end of the occupation of Iraq, and a restoration of our reputation in the world!!

I'll be up bright and early and off to the polls Tuesday; have an eye doctor appt.that afternoon, so have to vote before, as with dilated eyes I could hardly read the ballot and might accidentally vote for the Republicans, God forbid!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #6

Make sure you take your specs Eileen.

I've been amazed looking at the 'lines' (queues) to either register or vote. I guess it's a product of the 'small state' mentality - there just aren't enough public servants, retired public servants or people who might be trained up to act as the equivalent of our poll clerks and presiding officers. Who are they Eileen? How long do you think you may have to wait to cast your vote?
We generally walk straight in during the working day and maybe meet a queue of up to 6 voters if we leave it till early evening. The prospect of even 10 minutes wait would not be countenanced here - hours is laughable.
What happens in tiny communities? Do they have a polling station or do they have to go to a larger town? In this neck of the woods there are plenty of villages where the electoral roll is under 300. Makes a long day, sitting in the school room or village hall, waiting for less than 300 to appear between 7am and 10pm! Best posting is to a polling station in a pub!
Enough - I could witter for ages, and might do tomorrow, but i have things to do today ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #7

See that what amazed me to the queues.....why such long ones I mean the British are known for queuing but we would draw the line at that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #8

Last Presidential election I waited about an hour; off year elections aren't so crowded. There has been an overwhelming surge of new voters this time, especially among minorities so the waits are supposed to be horrendous this year. Will snap a pic tomorrow when I vote. The clerks are usually retired people (one of my neighbors had been one for years); almost all precincts have added more voting machines and clerks this time. Actually, having always lived and voted in the City, have no idea how small towns handle things... but sure they cope. My precinct is very handy, just across from my bank and at the end of the block where Whole Foods market is. I plan to take a book with me as usual to pass the time in line....

Hate to say it, but your elections seem a bit more organized! Also, have always thought you Brits were famous for queueing!

I can't wait for this to be over!