Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
23-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #1

Doggy paw problem

Milo has been licking his paws for ages now. I took him to the vets and they suggested an allergy as he checked for fleas and none were found. A course of steroids was administered but he has gone back to licking and nibbling his paws so bad that they are red raw and inbetween his claws they are bald.

Anyone had this problem before? Will get my hubby to take him to the vets on Saturday. It's too soon for me to go after Willow

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #2

Re: Doggy paw problem

The old irritation/itch/scratch/bite/more irritation/more itch etc etc cycle is a pain to break.
The steroids will obviously reduce irritation to a certain extent but you don't want him taking too many of them.
A 'lampshade' will prevent him getting to his feet but may make him very depressed. I've never had a dog appear happy wearing one (not suprising)
Maybe a DAP diffuser would send out 'dog-calming' vibes for him and help him ignore the siren calls to chew?
Or something else to occupy his brain and his tongue? Maybe a kong, stuffed with tasty treats?

Or maybe something else I've not even thought of.

Are you using a new carpet spray? Or got new carpet? Or maybe even a plug-in air freshener might have started the irritation.

Catsey Senior

23-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #3

I haven't changed anything new. He isn't interested in toys etc and even bone treats he isn't bothered with.

Oh god, do you think he is seriously unhappy and depressed??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #4

No - not depressed - just obsessed with his (current or previous) itchy feet.
Do you think he's upset about Willow? Maybe he was stressed by her illness and now her loss. If so, the new arrival should suit nicely. It won't take KoKo long to knock the dog into shape as his slave

Catsey Senior

23-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #5

Hehe the problem isn't willow related as it was there way before she became ill.

Might take a look into the dap thing you mentioned. I know nothing about them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #6

Just a question where you walk him have the council being spraying for weeds.....sometimes dogs get an irritation to that and not every dog or every time hence the hit and miss thing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
23-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #7

Could it be the beginning of a corn I wonder, my greyhound has had them a couple of times. Hope you get it sorted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #8

One of my old dogs did this and I was told that tea tree oil would help - didnt stop it completely but stopped her doing it so often. At least they were not red raw and weeping

Catsey Senior

24-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #9

I don't think the council have been spraying! Thanks for the tip for the tea tree, whill give that a whirl. The poor mutt does it so loudly, you can here him doing it over the TV. Its very irritating on both sides.

His lovely white paws are just stained with his saliva and red raw between pads/claws.

Just had a thought, we get our lawns treated by a company for weeds and moss every 3 months. Wonder if its this?????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
24-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #10

What breed of dog is he, some breeds are very prone to allergies, and it can be due to various things, not only fleas bites. There are tests that can be done to identify the cause, and you can then work from there. Hope you can sort it out.