Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: one
31-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #1

Few questions about a new cat....

hiya - i posted on intro section....

im getting a kitten today - this is my first cat - ive got dogs/had hamsters/horses etc... but this is new to me lol!

sooo few questions if anyone will be nice and answer them?

How long should i keep the kitten in before i let her out?? (even just supervised in the garden...)

Ive got 2 dogs already - they are fine with any animal/catdogs etc... but i want to introduce them all properly - how doy ou suggest this?? (ones young and bouncy the other is just old n keeps himself to himself)!

food wise - our dogs get 2 meals a day - they eat it straight away - i cant be doign with leaving it down all day - they dont eat it goes..... can the same be applied to a cat? or do they need food there all day every day????

thats all i can think of for now..... if you know anything elsei should know....please tell me lol!!! would be nice to hear lots of differernt views!!!

thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
31-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #2

Re: Few questions about a new cat....

http://www.westwinddogtraining.com/catsanddogs.pdf
That link might help with regards to the intros.
Cats and kitten should not be let out doors until they are 6 months of age and, most importantly, neutered and spayed.
If its an older cat, then keep it indoords for at least two weeks before letting it out.
As for feeding, every one has a different perspective, when Eva was a kitten, I gave her 4 small meals daily and gradually reduced this to two meals per day. Mine cope well and eat each of their meals pretty quickly, occasionally I will leave some buiscuits down for grazing, if they havent eaten them all already.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #3

How old is the kitten Sam? Is it male or female?

31-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #4

hiya - thanks for replying

i think shes about 4 months old now...

its off a friend - she already lives with a dog so thats a good thing

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #5

Sam, here are a few links you may find helpful and answer a few of your questions........

http://www.catsinfo.com/kittens.html#feeding
http://www.petmedics.co.uk/kitten_diary.htm
http://www.ninelivesvets.co.uk/index...=data_home&a=6

Have you brought her home yet and what have you named her?

31-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #6

hiya - thanks

no - getting her tonight - just been PaH - and think ive just about bought the whole shop!!!

we have waterbowls in every room of th house, toys everywhere - luckily my dogs only have tugger toys so im hpoing they will realise the diff (shall see)!, food, flea stuff in case i need it, litter tray(s), treats and as well as her normal food which ive been told by the lady who has her now - ive got some soft food which for cats they love - in case shes too nervous to eat her biscuits...

i used to have a cat at the farm - that i only had for a week or so - i rescued him as he had been abandoned - i used to feed him whiskers soft food which he loved -
will dig a pic out of him - we called her lucy till we found out it was boy!!! haha!

dont know if shes got a name - and dont know how easy cats (like dogs?) are to change names?? my poor dogs have about 5 nicknames they get called

gota quote for insurance @ £5 a month with 7 grand a year vets fees which imo is very good seeing as my dog insurance is £10 a month and i get 6 grand ayear vets fees

thanks for all the replies i will chek those links outnow

xx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
31-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #7

Just best wishes from me-I remember our `first`-we hadn`t a clue!!

Oh well he lived a long and happy life-they do have a way of telling one what they want-it just takes a little while to understand the language

31-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #8

thanks everyone

im sure the owner atm will tell me lots of info about her - just nice to get lots of other views as well!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #9

Keep her on the food and litter she's used to until she settles in. You can gradually introduce new food if you prefer, remember it might upset her tummy a bit at first. I'd keep her indoors for at least two weeks. Sounds as if you've covered the bases very well...all the new toys, equipment, etc! Look forward to seeing pics!

31-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #10

well shes here - sat atm with the cat hiding behind the fire with one of my dogs on its lead beside me - treating her - shes only barked cos shes curious - not nasty at all - i dont know if i should let her off??

the cats hissed.... but not ran at m y dog

help??