Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Maine coon cross
12-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

Which cat tree/activity centre?

Hi everyone,

I've just got a new maine coon cross kitten and as he will be an inside cat (busy road) I'm looking for a good cat tree for him. The trouble is I am absolutely confused as there is so much to choose from!! I have seen the Catrix cat activity centre and scratching post which I thought might be a good idea as you can add to it. Can anyone recommend one of these or am I barking up the wrong tree with that one?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #2

Re: Which cat tree/activity centre?

Hi Daphne and welcome to Catsey. Congratulations on your new kitten and well done for considering your cats welfare as you live on a busy road.

I personally think the cat trees/activity centres at zoo plus are excellent. I have one for my cats and it is well used, often 3 of them on it at once. It is sturdy and has lasted for years! They are reasonably priced and no p&p for orders over £29, even 10% off for new members! I know other members here have ordered things from them too. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ask?query=cat+trees I have the 'alicante', but I think the 'Luxor' looks amazing, and a bargain at £59.90 - it could cost twice that here! I'm not on commision - honest!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
13-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #3

Personally, the ones I've had from Zooplus haven't lasted very well, as they are self-assembly and not all that sturdy for all my furbabes.

The best one I have bought is from Russell Hardy, who is a carpenter and makes them to order. They are really strong and sturdy, but they are more expensive. There are also a company called Kalven who make to order and theirs are relly good too.

Different things work for different people (and cats) though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #4

Borderdawn recently got a new, very sturdy one which looks marvellous, and got raves from the others who had the same. Why not give her a PM and ask ?

Cats owned: Bengal
14-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #5

I have agree with Kim, I bought a cat tree from zooplus last year for my bengal kitten and i am really please with it. the only problem i had with it was one of the slelve snapped as they are only chipboard so if your cat is well built and very excitable like mine. go for one where the shelves are supported at both ends and not just protruding from one post. (hope that makes sense) but the value for money is great and they are easy to put together!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
14-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #6

I have had 3 from Zooplus, the Cats love them but they are not of the very best quality and dont last that long with heavy Cats bouncing on them! You cannot complain about the quality for the price though and Zooplus service is excellent.

I have bought a wooden made one from here:
http://www.catscratcher.com/
Totally in a different class, will last forever and the Cast just adore it, its more expensive, but IMO worth it.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
14-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #7

My cats are all adults and usually use their's for sleeping and scratching only, so it doesn't get very heavy use. I agree Charlie, depends on your circumstances.