Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Birman
30-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Hi! Can i have some help please?

I was recently adopted by a Birman... she seems to have a very delicate stomach - I can't give her any food with gravy - only jelly, and she really does miss pouched foods if I try to give her just dried food - any suggestions?

Oh, and she also has a terrible habit of killing my wallpaper in the middle of the night...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #2

Re: Hi! Can i have some help please?

Hi, welcome Have you tried your Birman (what's her name by the way), on some sensitive food? When you say she adopted you, did you get her from a rescue? Do you know what she used to eat previously? Some cats, especially pedigrees do have more sensitive stomachs so it might be a case of trial and error until you find the right food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
30-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #3

Hello and welcome

I have a Siamese with the same kind of problem - a very sensitive tummy. Not only does she get the runs, but she vomits if she eats something too rich too

She eats mainly dried food and that's fine for her, but every now and then she has a pouch of Royal Canin Sensitivity Control wet food and she enjoys that without any side effects.

Anything in gravy is a definite no no in my house

I think you just need to find out what works for her and stick to it. Don't change the diet too often either, as that will unsettle the tummy.

Is it just runny poo or does she vomit too?

If it's just runny poo you could also try some probiotic paste or granuals to help settle her tummy down. I always keep some in the cupboard for those times There are several places online that you can buy the food mentioned above and the probiotic paste (called Pro-kolin)

Best of luck

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #4

Hi, a warm welcome to Catsey

Can you tell us how old your Birman is, how long you have had her and if her tummy has been like this since you've had her?

Sorry for all the questions but it would help to know so that we could give you some suggestions. We have a few members here who have also had kittens/cats with sensitive stomachs .......hopefully they will be along shortly to help you.

Is her name Bailey by any chance?

With regard to scratching the wallpaper, does she have a scratching post or a scratching pad? Frequently you will find a cat will often scratch wallpaper if it's the super fresco type as they like the texture of it where they can dig their claws in.
Here's a link you may find helpful.............

http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20p...cratching.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags

Is her name Bailey by any chance?

I did kind of suspect that myself after I'd posed the question. ANOTHER case of fingers faster than brain

Cats owned: Birman
01-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #6

Hi, thanks all for replying, sorry I haven't been back to the site since! Yes, she's called Bailey! She turned up on my Mum's compost heap, and after much searching to try and find her real home she has stayed with me ever since. CPL & RSPCA had no reports of her missing etc and no room for her either and with micro chip I couldn't find her previous home. Therefore I have absolutely no idea what she used to eat. Unfortunately she does vomit as well as have the runs, the latter more often tho, although plain roast chicken will make her sick as I found out to my cost!

According to the vet when I had her injections done she's approximately 3 years old, I was adopted in December and she has always had a delicate tummy.

Thanks for the link about the scratching - I'll try some of it out, but yes, it is the Super Fresco type wallpaper, and she tends to do it in the middle of the night when she wants attention (particularly if crying right next to my ear hasn't worked!!)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #7

Try giving her boiled chicken in preference to roast chicken which is likely to be a bit rich for her.

You could also try giving her steamed or boiled white fish...like cod or coley ...... most of us here give our cats that when they have upset tums.

I hope things start to improve soon..

Please keep us updated on how Bailey is progressing..