Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Bengal
26-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #1

Bengal kitten being resold.(broken contract)

I sold a kitten at 20 weeks old last of my litter , the buyer signed a kitten sale agreement to state that without my permission the kitten could not be sold on and if the buyer tries to sell the kitten without my permission i have a right to take the kitten back.

If the buyer had informed me i would of took the kitten back and resold the kitten to find her a more suitable home.

But i found out that the lady in question has placed an advert for the cat for sale.

I contacted the buyer asap , she claims to me that she did not sign anything and also told me thats its her kitten and she paid £400 for it so if she wanted to sell it she can.

She then claimed that it messed her home up , thats why she is selling the kitten.

I told her i would like the kitten back but she said i cant and why should i have a kitten back for nothing and then make another £400.

What are my rights regarding this.

she did sign the agreement , although i did fill her name and address in.

should i report her to GCCF and the Police? not sure if they would be intrested or not?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #2

Re: Bengal kitten being resold.(broken contract)

Would you not give the woman her £400 back in return for the kitten?
I am not a breeder and dont know much about where you would stand with this but i do think that if I were the woman, I would expect my money back for the kitten if i were returning it for what ever reason.

26-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Would you not give the woman her £400 back in return for the kitten?
I am not a breeder and dont know much about where you would stand with this but i do think that if I were the woman, I would expect my money back for the kitten if i were returning it for what ever reason.
Well it does state on my website : it is my policy that I will take the kitten/cat back without rembursement if you no longer want the kitten/cat and rehome/keep the kitten/cat.

Catsey Veteran

26-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

I am sorry but I would then feel the same as the woman in that case. Why should you make money twice out of one kitten and the woman lose out?
I have no idea if this is common practice amongst breeders but it doesnt seem right to me.

26-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #5

but she signed a contract to state this , if she didnt agree she didnt have to sign and i would of sold the kitten.

Now she is lying to state she signed nothing

Yes it is common practice , its not my fault the buyer no longer wants the kitten .

It cost me time and money to find a new kitten a home hence why i dont refund.

Catsey Veteran

26-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #6

I dont mean to sound rude but it wouldnt cost you £400 pounds to take the kitten back and rehome it. When you say rehome the kitten, I assume that money would change hands again?
I am not saying that I agree with the woman's reasons for selling the kitten on, personally its not something i would do but I think its only reasonable that she should be compensated too.

26-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #7

Not being funny hun , but i think ill wait till someone who is a bit more clued up to get back to me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
26-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachzander
Not being funny hun , but i think ill wait till someone who is a bit more clued up to get back to me
Its not a question of being clued up, I agree it does seem a bit unfair to take the kitten back, without giving the woman her money back, especially as you can then re sell the kitten...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
26-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Its not a question of being clued up, I agree it does seem a bit unfair to take the kitten back, without giving the woman her money back, especially as you can then re sell the kitten...
I totally agree

Catsey Veteran

26-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #10

I am not being funny either and being clued up or not all I can see here is greed.
I have a young friend who stupidly rushed out and bought a puppy, a week or two later he realised that he couldnt look after this puppy, had not a clue what he was doing and asked me to try to find a home for the poor guy. I told him to call the breeder and explain to her. She happily took the puppy back and refunded his money.
I have also heard breeders here say that the contracts are not worth a damn unless written by the legal proffession and sometimes even then not enforceable.
The woman has paid you alot of money for the kitten and is now the owner to do with as she pleases, thats how i see it.