Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: small black cat
20-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #1

Hello & help my cats in labour

hello all ...i'm Tracey married to Matt and we have 5 wonderful children yes i said 5 not a miss print .Jack is 12 Jimmy is 10 Lily is 7 Evie is 3 and Charlie is 2.
I have joined today cause my cat is coming into labour she is 62-63 days pg with her first litter i have no experience of what to do i am after any advice or helpful hints i have made her a tent style bed on the top floor or the house and put her a box with blankets and newspaper in on the ground floor ....at the moment she is sleeping next to me on the sofa she seems to want to be close where ever i am she isn't to far away she also has terrible wind ...i am keeping her in the house at the moment too is that the right thing to do
Thanks in advance
Tracey xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
20-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #2

Re: Hello & help my cats in labour

Definitely keep her in the house.

How do you know she's in labour? How do you know she's at days 62/63? They can go to days 65/67 before the kittens are actually born.

I would confine her to one room and stay with her. When the time comes she will go into her box/bed and start nesting.

20-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks Charlie .... I'm guessing she is coming into labour because she has been trying to get behind my chest of drawes and i know she is 62-63 days pg because we saw here doing the deed with Bart from next door on the 18th and 19th May she is very sleepy at the moment and i can see her stomach moving
Thanks again
Tracey
xx

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #4

Okay, well don't panic. You can normally see the babies moving in the tummy from about 6 weeks gone, so that doesn't nec mean that she's in labour.

I would definitely confine her to one room with some food, water and a litter tray. The room where you have put her tent bed. And stay with her. You will see when the babies are actually coming as she'll nest and get very restless. When in actual labour you'll probably hear her grunting and pushing.

Make sure you stay with her, but try not to get too involved unless you have to. She should clean the babies up on her own, get them out of their sacks and move them towards her nipples.

If you think she has been straining to give birth for more than 2 hours and nothing is coming out then call your vets or emergency vets.

There could be an hour or so between kittens though, so don't panic if she has one and then nothing for another hour.

Good luck and post again if you need any help.

I should also say that this forum does not in any way condone the breeding of moggies, and I see from your profile that this was an accidental litter. You haven't said how old your female is, or why she isn't neutered?!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #5

Welcome to Catsey, Tracey!

Charlie has offered you some excellent advice and I hope all goes well with the birth of the kittens. Please keep us informed on how things go.....

Good luck!

20-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #6

Moses ... we believed to be male when we were given her (hence her name) i had got an appointment with vet to have him done but now he is a she and you know the rest she will be booked in with vet as soon as she has nursed her kittens we had her last september to save her been left out in the wild she was a farm cat she was one of 5 born to the farm next to muy inlaws ...it took a month or more before she would let us near her.

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #7

I hope all goes well with the birth - please do shout if you need any more help.

I'm pleased to hear that she will be neutered as soon as her babies are old enough too

Good luck with everything

20-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #8

Thank you very much

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
I should also say that this forum does not in any way condone the breeding of moggies, and I see from your profile that this was an accidental litter. You haven't said how old your female is, or why she isn't neutered?!

I was just about to ask those very questions.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
28-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyCraig
Moses ... we believed to be male when we were given her (hence her name) i had got an appointment with vet to have him done but now he is a she and you know the rest she will be booked in with vet as soon as she has nursed her kittens we had her last september to save her been left out in the wild she was a farm cat she was one of 5 born to the farm next to muy inlaws ...it took a month or more before she would let us near her.
Tracey, good luck with Moses' litter when they arrive! The same happened to us with a guinea-pig. We received one as a present froma friend who had told us it was a male and kept it with all their other males. Then one day my mum opened the hutch door and there were four guinea pigs instead of one And we thought the poor thing had been getting fat... We had kept her alone when we got her, so she had been impregnated by the males she was being kept with.

It is frustrating when these mistakes are made, and it should be simple to determine the sex, but as long as you make sure your kittens and properly assesed and neutered, the cycle doesn't continue.

Good luck!