Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
30-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

it happened again...

new kid on the block in our house. as some of you know, we already have a rescued iguana, spike, who came from horrible conditions that we rehabilitated that is still being spoiled rotten and growing like a weed.

so today, k goes to petsmart to pic up the weekly supplies for the kids and he's in line behind some hysterical lady holding a coffee can. she claims petsmart sold this baby iguana to her and it bit her ten year old son and she wants her money back. the store doesn't even have records of carrying iguanas at any recent point in time and told her they couldn't refund said money. she then blew up and said she was going to let it out in their store so THEY could deal with it.

my boyfriend, "the reptile expert", could not take this any longer as he stood behind her and offered her twenty five bucks cash. she huffed and puffed but took the money and handed it over.

luckily, we keep a lot of supplies at home for these kind of critters. we haven't named him (?) yet and yes, we are giving ourselves another headache because when he grows up and gets big we'll have to demo another part of the house so he will live properly with ample room.

i doubt a petsmart sold this guy to anyone as most iguanas are returned are pawned off once people realize how long of a commitment they are and how big they get..but we are not those kind of people, as you may have noticed at least i'll never feel lonely in this house *note sarcasm*...LOL

anyway, here he is...probably a month or so old we're guessing..just a baby. these are the best we could get for now as he is fast and we didn't want to stress him out and let him just hide in his cave and chill out the rest of the day without us humans bothering him

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #2

Re: it happened again...

for reference here is spike, our first iguana rescue

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #3

The outcome of your story doesn't surprise me at all Tink, I know how you are both suckers for any unwanted or unloved creature!

So now you need to educate me on iguansas.......... as Spike is brown and Mr/s is green, does that mean that the newcomer is a female?
Secondly, what do iguanas eat?

You'll have to get a smallholding soon with all these different pets!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #4

Awww, the newbie is a cute wee thing! What good karma that your OH was there at the right time! It's a shame that people get them not realizing what a commitment it's going to be, and that they are not cuddly domesticated animals like cats/dogs...Well done you two!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
30-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #5

Aww Bless your hearts for taking in that beautiful iguana
Hope to see photos of him as he grows up Spike is gorgeous as well!

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #6

thanx all.
mags, the color can often change as they grow and depending on their mood. spike sometimes changes as we vary his diet. they are vegetarians and eat fruit and veggies. we have planted many greens in coffee mugs to put in their tanks so they can feel like the wild..LOL. and we supplement with frozen veggies and fruit thawed out as well. sometimes we throw in vitamin/calcium supplements depending on their health at the time (a powder).
new pix coming up soon..my OH got some good ones today

Global Moderator

30-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Tink........I am certainly learning lots of things on Catsey that I would otherwise never dreamed of!

Looking forward to your next pics.......

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #8

oh and i forgot to say we can't sex at this age but we are hoping it's a female..it'll be awhile before we can.
new piccies! (looks bigger than he is here cuz it's zoomed in)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
30-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #9

He is a beauty, do love iguana's..never had one though...

Global Moderator

30-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #10

He's stunning...... I couldn't find him in the first pic straight away!