Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: BSH x2
swerv is Male
25-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #1

will they clear the fence...............

i will be letting the 2 horrors out in the garden soon, we have slatted fences with gaps in, im wondering as they can see through it will they attempt to climb it?

we are only letting them out when we are out there so we can keep an eye on them.

just worried they will hear a bird and be off

not had experience in letting house cats out, boy put his foot out the door a while ago while the ground was cold, he didnt like it, he made a weird noise ran back inside

they do not accept the lead, we tried, we failed

wont be able to 'cat proof' the garden until we have more time as it will be a big job, plus i dont want a garden full of cats when we get home from work lol

so any advice welcome

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
25-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #2

Re: will they clear the fence...............

Fabes scaled the fence when I was 'supervising' him before I catproofed the garden. I had to run like crazy round to my neighbours back garden and luckily he was just nosing around so managed to grab him.

Sorry - I don't understand your comment re loads of cats in garden? My garden is cat proofed and no cats can get in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #3

How high is the fence? My Aby who was leash-trained, easily climbed my 6 foot stockade fence more than once when we were just sitting in the garden. He eventually learned that if he went out of the garden, he had to go in the house, so stopped doing it......I too don't get the "garden full of cats" bit......

Catsey Junior

swerv is Male
26-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #4

surely if they cant get out then when other peoples cats jump 'in' then they will be stuck till i get home and open the gate?

Catsey Senior

26-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #5

Thats the great thing about catproofing systems - no cats can get in

Catsey Junior

swerv is Male
28-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyshandy
Thats the great thing about catproofing systems - no cats can get in
most of the cat proof systems ive seen barring the very expensive prison types, cats can actually quite easily get in, but very difficult near impossible to get out.

there is no way i can make my garden 'catproof' we just want to make it very difficult as we will be out there with them all the time.

the fence is a 6ft high one, but gaps in between each panel.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #7

My boy had no trouble at all scaling a 6 foot stockade fence .........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
28-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #8

Cats climb. I am sure that they will try and climb it even my daft Persians would have a go. Also you say there is gaps between the panels they maybe able to get through those as well.

Catsey Senior

28-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv
most of the cat proof systems ive seen barring the very expensive prison types, cats can actually quite easily get in, but very difficult near impossible to get out.

there is no way i can make my garden 'catproof' we just want to make it very difficult as we will be out there with them all the time.

the fence is a 6ft high one, but gaps in between each panel.
I have the SecurA Cat system and I can assure you that no cat has ever entered the garden since it was installed about 2-3 years ago.

If you have no catproofing up then there is a danger that the fences will be scaled.

Cats owned: NA
28-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #10

you know not sure about cat proofing anything, not sure you can do that my cats always went outside with us, they walked around the yard with us never took off to go anywhere and we don't have a fence, we have woods behind our house but they seem content to just walk along side of us, and roll when they find some sand or sunshine.